NFL

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NFL

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57 pm

He's not a man! He's not 40!
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9931466/antrel-rolle-new-york-giants-says-jonathan-martin-stood-in-miami-dolphins-harassment-case

Antrel Rolle wrote:"Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely," Rolle told the radio station. "But I think the other guy is just as much to blame as Richie, because he allowed it to happen.

"At this level, you're a man. You're not a little boy. You're not a freshman in college. You're a man."

:face:

Although, this just confirms the stereotype of dumb football players.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Martin seems like the only person in the entire league that is 100% in the right.

He's an intelligent guy who came from a good background, attended a private upscale high school, and then went to Stanford. He doesn't have the same background and experiences that 99% of the lunatics in the NFL have.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Incognito or Rolle? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9931466/antrel-rolle-new-york-giants-says-jonathan-martin-stood-in-miami-dolphins-harassment-case

Antrel Rolle wrote:"Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely," Rolle told the radio station. "But I think the other guy is just as much to blame as Richie, because he allowed it to happen.

"At this level, you're a man. You're not a little boy. You're not a freshman in college. You're a man."

:face:

Although, this just confirms the stereotype of dumb football players.

Listening to the meathead jocks in the media on TV and radio today just confirms what i already thought. These people are flat out stupid. Listening to Mike Prisuta today on DVE was downright sickening. Making total light of the situation and calling him a baby who shouldn't be playing in the NFL if he can't take it. Mike Prisuta is like that one friend you know who really needs to have his ass kicked but is too old to actually have it done.

Anyways, Cris Carter, Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson get it. They understand this dude is a bigot. He's a racist. This isn't just words. It's threats against him and his family and being shaken down for thousands of dollars. That goes beyond what normally happens in the locker room. And i know this because HOF players have said it does.

This guys deserves everything coming to him.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:34 pm

I really like the Sunday NFL Countdown crew, though, as I get older I'm starting to like Chris Berman less and less, but when I was younger, I was a big fan...anyhow, TJ also said that Martin is probably over-reacting, but there is a line to be drawn. It sounds like Incognito crossed that line. I haven't followed the story too closely because this kind of stuff (generally "hazing" which is a strong term for a lot of it) goes on at many levels. But this appears to be a little more serious...

There's a puck-moving d-man that doesn't have a contract right now in the NHL - in some small part - due to his Incognito-ness, with almost a Farva-like ignorance to social norms and behaviors.

I have no problem with the "normal" stuff that you see...but when a player is made to feel as an outcast and you're bringing things like racial slurs and this and that involved, you've crossed the line. I'm normally a little more old school than most in my beliefs, but this is a shame for Martin.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:53 pm

About the above 2 posts... In an era in which all I see is non-stop criticisms of sports analysts, can we all just admit that, outside of boomer, NFL Sunday countdown on espn is pretty darn good?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 pm

I actually can't stand any of the pre-game studio shows anymore. I have to kill 90 minutes between church and the start of football, and can't find a football-related way to do it anymore. I find they're alternate between aiming at a yound audience, and human interest stories. Honest expert analysis is gone.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I actually can't stand any of the pre-game studio shows anymore. I have to kill 90 minutes between church and the start of football, and can't find a football-related way to do it anymore. I find they're alternate between aiming at a yound audience, and human interest stories. Honest expert analysis is gone.

Very few sports analyst that i think are good. Value added for 99+% of the is 0.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 pm

So now the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Miami coaches wanted Incognito to 'toughen up' Martin after the latter skipped two offseason OTA workouts. Oh boy.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 pm

tifosi77 wrote:So now the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Miami coaches wanted Incognito to 'toughen up' Martin after the latter skipped two offseason OTA workouts. Oh boy.

This whole story is taking on bizarre parallels to A Few Good Men.

"Coach Philbin, did you order the Code Red?"

"I did my job, like I always have! This is ridiculous!"

"Coach Philbin, DID YOU ANSWER THE CODE RED?"

"YOU'RE G-D RIGHT I DID!"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:33 pm

:lol:

I didn't think of it from that angle, but you are spot on Shaf.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tomas on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:So now the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Miami coaches wanted Incognito to 'toughen up' Martin after the latter skipped two offseason OTA workouts. Oh boy.

This whole story is taking on bizarre parallels to A Few Good Men.

"Coach Philbin, did you order the Code Red?"

"I did my job, like I always have! This is ridiculous!"

"Coach Philbin, DID YOU ANSWER THE CODE RED?"

"Answer the code?? What the hell does it mean???" :)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 pm

the code

Spoiler:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 pm

I've seen/read about five outlets now making the Jessup/Santiago reference.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Hall of Fame running back Tony Dorsett diagnosed with signs of CTE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ha ... z9#photo=1
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PghSkins on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 pm

There seems to be an increasing tide in the Dolphins scandal (or whatever it is) against Johathan Martin. I kind of find that incredible.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm

PghSkins wrote:There seems to be an increasing tide in the Dolphins scandal (or whatever it is) against Johathan Martin. I kind of find that incredible.

I think we're going to learn that this incident was more than just Incognito vs Martin. It seems like Incognito took direction from the coach and management but went to an unimaginable level, but it was still at the direction of management to "toughen" him up. This complaint has the possibility of challenging established norms in the culture of the game. I knew a guy that was a hazing whistleblower in college...the vitriol spewed at that guys character resembles some of the responses we're seeing from other players.

I believe I saw a story in the PG about how the Steelers' players are baffled by what's going on in Miami....yet the vets on the Steelers made news by not allowing young players to use the pool table or something like that. I think it's setting in as to what the ramifications of these accusations will have on the entire culture of the game....Once a high profile incident like this occurs, it's not like they establish a hazing line that players can't cross. The authorities in the sport that are ultimately liable say, "you idiots can't handle it, no more hazing of any kind".
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Yeah I was amazed by how many players spoke out about it, and even more so how strongly. I thought this would be something the team would want to stay away from but its a lot of anti Martin. He's getting blasted by some media saying he handled it all wrong, then same people blast him for not saying something before. The guy obviously just reached his limit. I just don't understand the need to "toughen him up" If he was good enough to make the team he was good enough to make the team. Not every football player has to have the same Neanderthal personality that the majority of them do. Like getting drunk at a bar and running around shirtless screaming like a psycho like Incognito did would prove he was man enough to play football. These guys are such meatheads, and it seems like some people don't want to side with Martin because they're afraid to be perceived as weak or not man enough. The same meat head mentality that started this whole thing.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm

It's not surprising to me at all. This is the same class of people that go into full-blown homo panic at the mere mention of the possibility of a gay player on their roster. NFL rosters are largely (but not completely) made up of two types of people. Street-bred thugs, and jagoff privileged white jocks.

Sure, you have your good guys like Brett Keisel, London Fletcher, Tony Gonzalez et al, but 80+% of them are crap.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much the case with all professional sports though. The guys that reach the pinnacle of athletic competition tend to lag in mental development.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Yeah, it's pretty much the case with all professional sports though. The guys that reach the pinnacle of athletic competition tend to lag in mental development.

That's true for sure. I definitely think football is set apart a little bit though. I think football/basketball are tops in terms of the kind of homophobic/male chauvinist beliefs and crap we've been talking about. I do think that hockey tends to be more...."progressive" socially in that respect. Then again, that's kind of an oxymoron because it's the only sport that legalizes bashing the other guy's head in. Baseball I think is better in that respect too.

On the whole though, you're right. Intelligent athletes are hard to come by. Faux intelligence is common though (see: Mendenhall, Ryan Clark, etc)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 pm

its funny how hockey fans consider hockey players progressive, yet the sport still allows goalies to skate across the ice to repeatedly punch another goalie in the face
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

trevor gillies should try out for the dolphins
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR