Botterill or Fitzgerald to Buffalo?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Botterill or Fitzgerald to Buffalo?

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 pm

With Rolston and Regier out , there has been rumblings before. Wouldn't be surprised. How much effect on the Pens , if any , does this have? It's good to see Ted Nolan get another chance at coaching.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Botterill or Fitzgerald to Buffalo?

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 pm

While it would obviously have an affect on the team operations, I do not think that it would be a major blow. I have said before that the cap tracking is a bit over-rated and I would hope that Shero is more responsible for decisions. It would be nice to see them get a shot behind the wheel though.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Jim wrote:While it would obviously have an affect on the team operations, I do not think that it would be a major blow. I have said before that the cap tracking is a bit over-rated and I would hope that Shero is more responsible for decisions. It would be nice to see them get a shot behind the wheel though.

100% agreed. capologist. In any other world be called an accounting clerk.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Jim wrote:While it would obviously have an affect on the team operations, I do not think that it would be a major blow. I have said before that the cap tracking is a bit over-rated and I would hope that Shero is more responsible for decisions. It would be nice to see them get a shot behind the wheel though.

100% agreed. capologist. In any other world be called an accounting clerk.

Botterill is the "assistant g.m." From P.P.com "Botterill works closely with Shero on all hockey-related matters including scouting,player development and contract negotiations."
Fitzgerald ,as assistant to the g.m., "monitors all prospects in the organization and advises on personnel decisions."
More than just "accounting clerks."
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm sure the Pens would be just fine. It's not like they could do a worse job of drafting and developing fowards. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:36 pm

While Botterill while yes is a cap guru is also a very smart hockey guy. He scouted for the stars and i believe he also worked for the NHL for a little bit. His name wouldn't get mentioned by media members as a potential GM candidate if he was just a "cap guy"
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 pm

No I get that he has other stuff and I'm sure he is good at it. I just hate the term "capologist" as if managing a budget with variations takes some special skill.

The other GM duties are separate but anyone who can use excel should be able to be a capologist.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 pm

columbia wrote:I'm sure the Pens would be just fine. It's not like they could do a worse job of drafting and developing fowards. ;)

Final say rests with Shero and his Poile/Nashville strategy of drafting and building teams with defenseman.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I don't think we really need to worry about losing these guys. Lafontaine loves him some Neil Smith.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:01 pm

darkstar57 wrote:While Botterill while yes is a cap guru is also a very smart hockey guy. He scouted for the stars and i believe he also worked for the NHL for a little bit. His name wouldn't get mentioned by media members as a potential GM candidate if he was just a "cap guy"

Botterill is at the top of many lists for GM candidates. I'd be more surprised if he doesn't get the Buffalo job than if he does.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Neither would be the choice there. And they would be smart to steer clear of that mess
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Nolan is a no brainer but no one will take a chance on him again.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Nolan is a coach, who was just hired by Buffalo. Not a GM.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:22 pm

LaFontaine will be making the hockey decisions, as the new VP of Hockey Ops title has come to mean. The GM under him will be more of a right hand man position, in which Botterill would fit into nicely.

I like Fitzgerald a lot and hope he doesn't leave Pittsburgh.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins