Do We Need Letang?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do the Penguins Need Letang?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 28

Re: Do We Need Letang?

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

I think we should get in his prime Al Iafrate
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 pm

STANK E. GIRL
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:To NYI for Hamonic, Okposo, Pick

I'd do it in a heartbeat

Isles wouldn't.

Maybe in the past when Letang's hype was high, but definitely not now.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 pm

He has nothing but rocks in that skull of his. I hate the new contract more and more every game.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby bh on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:34 am

Could Letang be any more dumb? He's just so dumb. The dumbest dumb dumb dumb dumb. I heard he really dyes his hair. dumb.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am

can't imagine how much better this team could be with two 3 million wingers instead of this elite defenseman
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 am

knives of ice wrote:can't imagine how much better this team could be with two 3 million wingers instead of this elite defenseman

I think the NHL roster limit would prevent us from having 3 million wingers, regardless of the salary cap. :pop:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:25 am

Great58 wrote:
knives of ice wrote:can't imagine how much better this team could be with two 3 million wingers instead of this elite defenseman

I think the NHL roster limit would prevent us from having 3 million wingers, regardless of the salary cap. :pop:

lol. That started my morning off right.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:To NYI for Hamonic, Okposo, Pick

I'd do it in a heartbeat

Isles wouldn't.

Maybe in the past when Letang's hype was high, but definitely not now.

If you're another NHL team you won't nothing to do with that contract at all.

Secondly, he has a NTC does he not?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iceolater on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 am

Yes and No. If he wants to be a forward moving the puck up the ice and everyone else has to shift around to cover our own zone then he needs to play wing only. Last night he was caught out of position several times, and one of our wingers WHO is playing a wing position, has to drop back and become a D-man. He must lead the Pens in turnovers and I thought he had a horrible game vs the Flyers. The coaches need to decide if he is going to be a winger only, or strictly a D-man. Based upon his skills of attempting to get the puck out of the zone of late, he needs to move to the wing position. Several times you saw someone like Dupuis or Kunitz, Bennett, drop back to help the other Dman because Letang is in his own little world taking "Kennedy" side angle shots that have a 1% chance of going in.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 am

Having Letang and Malkin on the ice at the same time has become a calamity of errors. It is like each is trying to out-do the other's bonehead goofs.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:25 am

Jim wrote:Having Letang and Malkin on the ice at the same time has become a calamity of errors. It is like each is trying to out-do the other's bonehead goofs.

They should have their own sitcom.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am

pens2005 wrote:
Secondly, he has a NTC does he not?

I thought it was limited at this point, his new contract doesnt kick in until next season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:42 am

No matter how good any GM can be there's always some bad decisions and this is bad one. Letang should have been traded.

The improvements Shero could make with $7.2M around the line-up could make this team indestructible. We could once again build a 3rd line that would be a 2nd line on any team.

The D needs no improving on. Niskanen is Letang without the Physicality or the hefty contract.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 am

A NTC does not mean that a guy is untradeable.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am

Jim wrote:A NTC does not mean that a guy is untradeable.

Crappy play and a big salary usually do.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 pm

wondermoose wrote:I don't trust Dave Tippett coached defenseme after the Michalek disaster.

I dont trust Dan Bylsma ruining perfectly good Defensemen.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:56 pm

I believe he has a limited movement clause that takes effect next season. IIRC he submits a list of 16 teams he'd be willing to be traded to.
But I don't think he will be traded. I don't think the Pens would get back as talented an offensive defenseman should they trade him. And clearly, they need all the offense they can get. They aren't going to give up on him and just give him away. They can get 3rd line forwards by trading lesser players. Sorry, Matt Niskanen is not as good as Letang, and was the player most around here planned to get rid of until mid-to-late October.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Great58 wrote:I believe he has a limited movement clause that takes effect next season. IIRC he submits a list of 16 teams he'd be willing to be traded to.
But I don't think he will be traded. I don't think the Pens would get back as talented an offensive defenseman should they trade him. And clearly, they need all the offense they can get. They aren't going to give up on him and just give him away. They can get 3rd line forwards by trading lesser players. Sorry, Matt Niskanen is not as good as Letang, and was the player most around here planned to get rid of until mid-to-late October.

The Penguins don't need 3rd liners. They need their 3rd liners to actually play on the third line instead of masquerading as 1st and 2nd line forwards because they can't afford better.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I have clearly soured on Letang after he comes back and the team goes into a losing slump. I think Letang is so used to being this free skating D amn that i am nto sure another coach and his system could straighten Tanger out.

I personally would get rid of Letang, he isn't even a good powerplay defenceman. But i don't blame the powerplays ineffectiveness on Letang as i would on a colletive unit breakdown.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Great58 wrote:I believe he has a limited movement clause that takes effect next season. IIRC he submits a list of 16 teams he'd be willing to be traded to.

The Penguins don't need 3rd liners. They need their 3rd liners to actually play on the third line instead of masquerading as 1st and 2nd line forwards because they can't afford better.

who's this? dupuis (dubious, but ok)? and....

we need 3rd liners. we have good talent in the top 6, which is why we have a trash pile filling the rest of the lineup. we need a couple matt cooke's right now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BuckintheLou on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Can't call it. Dude has a lot of useful skills if someone would reign him in and actually coach his arrogant ***. He relies on his speed to get him out of most of his bone-headed goofs with little to no success. As it stands, he gets way too much money, has way too little discipline and structure, and is allowed to run amok. Shame on the entire organization for allowing this to go on. An experienced Captain would've already jerked a knot in him.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:47 pm

No one has ever responded to me when I say something like this, but is Letang's play style going against what he is being asked to do? I understand mistakes, but I don't think he is "running amok". Do people disagree with this?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:No one has ever responded to me when I say something like this, but is Letang's play style going against what he is being asked to do? I understand mistakes, but I don't think he is "running amok". Do people disagree with this?

i think he looks more measured this year, so i don't think he's running amok either...which means he's significantly less effective offensively...which means he's not worth having on the team at next year's price tag, if this is what we can expect from now on.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No one has ever responded to me when I say something like this, but is Letang's play style going against what he is being asked to do? I understand mistakes, but I don't think he is "running amok". Do people disagree with this?

i think he looks more measured this year, so i don't think he's running amok either...which means he's significantly less effective offensively...which means he's not worth having on the team at next year's price tag, if this is what we can expect from now on.

Well I didn't think he was going to be worth it at any point. Money is better spent elsewhere. Oh well. He's not at the top of the things i hope to be changed on that team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins