Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby MarioLives on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Don't you guys get tired of saying the same thing over and over year after year? Oh wait, that is because it is the same thing from the Pens, year after year. The same style of play and the same kinds of complaints.

How hard is it to find someone to stand in front of the net? I would imagine anyone from WBS would do that for a chance to play in the NHL?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Neal for Oshie straight up, solves the problem (Guy that goes to net), and honestly helps both teams.

Kunitz-Crosby-Duper
Jokinen/Bennett-Malkin-Oshie
Jokinen/Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew/Megna
Adams-Vitale-Glass
Last edited by Trip McNeely on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm

The Pens are now only 1 point ahead of the Caps in the Metro division, and now have a WORSE road record than the Flyers! If they were in the Western Conference, they'd have the 9th best point total. They've been garbage ever since their quick start, particularly since Letang came back and Scuderi went down. No coincidence there. Having Neal and BB back hasn't helped at all so far. It's way too early in the season to be pushing the panic button, but this is not a good scenario. NHL coaches are already dropping like flies. Time for a change.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,813
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:37 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:The Pens are now only 1 point ahead of the Caps in the Metro division, and now have a WORSE road record than the Flyers! If they were in the Western Conference, they'd have the 9th best point total. They've been garbage ever since their quick start, particularly since Letang came back and Scuderi went down. No coincidence there. Having Neal and BB back hasn't helped at all so far. It's way too early in the season to be pushing the panic button, but this is not a good scenario. NHL coaches are already dropping like flies. Time for a change.

It's way too early to panic, but we should panic? :scared:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,578
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Recognizing this coach's documented flaws and seeing how this team keeps playing in this system and thinking a change is needed isn't :scared: panic. That's all Rx said.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,160
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
I thought of how nice it would have been to have Doug Murray in last night


Ha. That is the first time I have heard that this year.


Taking the road less traveled... :D

Not kidding, though.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,471
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Recognizing this coach's documented flaws and seeing how this team keeps playing in this system and thinking a change is needed isn't :scared: panic. That's all Rx said.

Firing Byslma after a three game slump would be a :scared: panic. Firing after last season wouldn't have been, but they've picked their course for this season. They'd have to slump more for longer before a coaching change could be considered logical. They're still in first place in the division and until this slump were leading the conference.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,578
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby marek on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Great58 wrote:
No excuse for losing to the Flyers. Not this season

As much as I hated watching the game, I'd have to disagree with the above sentiment. Over the course of a long season, bad games and bad stretches happen. The Kings just lost to the Sabres, afterall.


the same night that the Ducks lost to the Panthers AND the Avalanche lost to Carolina... I bet all three thinking that they were locks... there are no locks this season in the NHL... just like every other major sport it seems like everyone is playing down to the level of their competition.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,747
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Here is the awesome list of teams we have beaten the past 10 games.
Canes, Blue Jackets (x2), and Bruins.

Just watched the highlights again from the Bruins game. Goal 1: Pens have 2 guys in the slot (PP), Kunitz puts the rebound from the top of the crease in the goal. Goal 2: Orpik-Dupuis (lucky deflection)-Sutter, bang, bang, bang. Goal 3: Jokinen strip and pot.

So, what we have here was 3 goals, none of which came from the typical cycle "system" the DB employs. The Bruins win is one of only 3 quality wins the Pens have this season so it is worth breaking it down as the other wins are simply an over-matching of talent.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I would support referring to him as "the db" moving forward.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,955
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I bet Shero is afraid to fire The DB mid season because any other team including ones with winning records would instantly fire their hc and hire The DB.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,019
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I would support referring to him as "the db" moving forward.


Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,471
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 pm

They aren't playing any semblence of a system, they were playing one early, even though they killed bad teams they still looked great doing it.

Last night you say more trying to snipe corners and missing the net instead of working for a goal. Crosby should have had 4 goals last night, Letang another 2.

Defensively we were fine. Flyers really had nothing. It took an uncalled Simmonds board (or a bonehead holding too long to the puck by Bort, whatever) to set up the first one and the 2nd was on a BS PP.

Letang is trash, so is D'Agostini

Malkin has to be hurt, I have no other explanation for his subpar offense.

Has any named Olympic head coach been fired before said Olympics? The only way I see Bylsma being fired before the end of the year is if we have a horrendous losing streak before the break and then he's exposed as the bad coach he is on the international stage and the US team doesn't even qualify for the medal rounds.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,171
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby farnham16 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Guys, Bylsma ain't getting fired. At least not this year. The main reason he was retained was because Shero was involved in team USA and he knew Bylsma was going to be named head coach, so he couldn't fire him.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 pm

That definitely wasn the main reason, im not sure t was even part of tge reason he was retained. He was retained because Shero considered him the best man for the job. That is the reason he isnt fired as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,955
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:53 pm

I just flipped over to the Pens Web Site and spotted the big headline “Pens Deliver Turkeys.” The unfortunate timing of it made me laugh. And after the last few games, I really needed that.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby farnham16 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:That definitely wasn the main reason, im not sure t was even part of tge reason he was retained. He was retained because Shero considered him the best man for the job. That is the reason he isnt fired as well.


Just disagree man. I think it was the main reason he was retained. Not the only one, but the main one.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Shero would have been fired if ownership thought that was the case.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,955
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby farnham16 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Shero would have been fired if ownership thought that was the case.


Shero probably didn't tell them that. But no one knows. I could be wrong, but its just something that I really think is true. I really think that team USA was apart of him staying.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby M10 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:25 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Shero would have been fired if ownership thought that was the case.


Shero probably didn't tell them that. But no one knows. I could be wrong, but its just something that I really think is true. I really think that team USA was apart of him staying.


It absolutely does. Bylsma is Shero's guy. I do think Shero desperately wants Bylsma to be something he isn't capable of being. At least at this point in his coaching career.

This team can **** around now, we'll be annoyed. Sooner or later though, that bandwagon who generates the majority of profit is going to start catching on to the smoke and mirrors that is the regular season. Or the lost cause that is the playoffs. Ownership will pay attention when ratings slip, and they have to rely on student rush for sell outs.

Sooner or later, everyone is going to figure out the choke artistry. The Crosby honeymoon phase is over, he's not enough to fill seats at this rate if they continue this crap. I'm not saying Console will be empty, but the charm this team has is wearing off.

Their core (outside of Sid;then again maybe not playoff Sid) is inconsistent and unreliable, the coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired. The GM, though seemingly brilliant earlier in his employment, has insisted on as little change as possible to a group of individuals who have failed in a fashion that most teams get "blown up" for.

Better start rooting for Canada and Russia, Bylsma even sniffs so much as a Silver and he'll be here for a decade.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Tanger58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:39 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
I thought of how nice it would have been to have Doug Murray in last night


Ha. That is the first time I have heard that this year.


We'll be crying for a murry type come playoff time unless borts steps up .... This is right after we stop crying for a real nasty power forward now.
Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:Neal for Oshie straight up, solves the problem (Guy that goes to net), and honestly helps both teams.


We have guys that can go to the net. They just aren't going there. That is what the problem is.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,183
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Having a guy who will go to the net is definitely an issue, but the offense needs to step up as a whole.

Last five games:
Sid 1g
Malkin 0g
Dupuis 0g
Kunitz 2g
Jokinen 2g

This is our top six and they've only scored a combined five goals in the last five games only two of which are ES goals.

If it's not one thing it's another. Missing Scuderi and Martin definitely hurts the possession game which in-turn effects the defense. However, the Pens have been able to keep up a pretty solid possession game. Now? They just can't score.

Even if you take into consideration Letang's awful play, if the Penguins capitalized more the entire face of these games would be different. It shift momentum.

Can anyone else tell me why Sid doesn't try to deke on a breakaway??? For all the flak we're giving Malkin and Letang, Sid has made plenty of irresponsible passes.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,485
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 am

Bring back Gary Rissling I heard he would go to the net
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Game 18 vs Flyers - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 am

Trip McNeely wrote:Neal for Oshie straight up, solves the problem (Guy that goes to net), and honestly helps both teams.

Kunitz-Crosby-Duper
Jokinen/Bennett-Malkin-Oshie
Jokinen/Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew/Megna
Adams-Vitale-Glass

Can't score? Let's trade one of the best shooters in the league for a guy who's never scored 20. :thumb:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jim, llipgh2, Pruezy11881, Steve Dave, stonyman and 8 guests

e-mail