Fire DB

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fire DB

Postby bhaw on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:I is time for a change and something has to give. But just like MAF, Danny boy gets a free pass because he won a CUP. That is ancient history and it is now going into 2014. Things must change in order to move forward. Let the ax fall, the sooner the better

A three game slump isn't going to get anyone fired. :face:

If you think any of this is about a 3 game losing streak, you're not paying attention.

The same negatives and weaknesses year after year. You could easily argue regression in some facets of the team.

As much as I wanted DB gone years ago, I don't think he's going anywhere until after the season. We get to hear him blame everything and everyone else for their issues until next off season. He ranks up there with Beaudreau's tenure with Washington and Stevens' tenure with Philly in terms of lack of personal accountability. I lose respect for the guy every time he comes up with an excuse for his team of all stars coming up short.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Also, Bylsma is worse than Ron Rolston? I want what you're smoking, because that's just absurd.

Can you please show me where I said that?
Wha?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 pm

bhaw wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:I is time for a change and something has to give. But just like MAF, Danny boy gets a free pass because he won a CUP. That is ancient history and it is now going into 2014. Things must change in order to move forward. Let the ax fall, the sooner the better

A three game slump isn't going to get anyone fired. :face:

If you think any of this is about a 3 game losing streak, you're not paying attention.

The same negatives and weaknesses year after year. You could easily argue regression in some facets of the team.

As much as I wanted DB gone years ago, I don't think he's going anywhere until after the season. We get to hear him blame everything and everyone else for their issues until next off season. He ranks up there with Beaudreau's tenure with Washington and Stevens' tenure with Philly in terms of lack of personal accountability. I lose respect for the guy every time he comes up with an excuse for his team of all stars coming up short.

Yes, this is about the current three game slump, and you say it yourself. As soon as the Pens brought him back after the playoffs end last year, he gets way more latitude within the Pens front office than any of you who wanted him canned would like. He's the Pens coach, and only a massive catastrophe like being outside of the playoff hunt in February will cost him his job during the season.

Beaudreau is currently serving as evidence exhibit "A" as to why the Pens will be extremely hesitant to fire Byslma. He'd go and win with the next team he signs with, and if it's in the Eastern Conference, he'd haunt us annually.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Which is exactly why I have zero expectations for this team for the time being. As long as he's at the helm, this team will be a disaster in the playoffs. DB either can't or refuses to learn from past mistakes. Of course, in his world, they aren't mistakes, so it makes sense. They are bad luck or poor execution by his players.

BB still hasn't won jack **** in the playoffs either. Who cares if DB haunts us annually if he keeps failing when it matters? I'll take losing to him 5 times in the regular season if it means we get to stand in front of his forwards to break up the stretch pass and play from the goal line to make his whole defense melt down and fail in the playoffs.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 pm

What is rarely mentioned is when the Pens won the cup, Bylsma had Yeo and Fitzgerald with him. Yeo is a good coach and Fitz did a great job while he was in as an AC. Yeo and Fitzgerald never seem to get any credit for their part in the cup win, DB lovers are brag about DB having a cup but never mention Yeo's and Fitzgerald's roles. Interesting enough the team's playoff performances have got worse since Yeo and Fitzgerald have been gone.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 pm

To be fair, most here wanted Yeo shown the door. I remember people going on and on about how the PP sucked because of Yeo etc.

Not that I don't think Bylsma has worn out his welcome, but people wanted Yeo gone sooner than he left.

FItzgerald... can't remember anyone hating him as a coach at least.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, Yeo was definitely hated by a good number of people because "the PP sucked".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Now we just accept that it sucks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meow on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 pm

columbia wrote:Now we just accept that it sucks.

9th in the league. People have a misconception of how bad it is.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 pm

I don't care what the ranking shows, when your powerplay takes 1:30 seconds to get set up most times, and has issues entering the zone <75% of the time you have issues. It just seems like it has no direction or focus. Blame it on the players, blame it on the coaching, its U-G-L-Y.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

The power play has been quite good for a while now. Its only measurement in quality is goals scored, with some consideration for shorties allowed. Ugliness doesn't matter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 pm

I know Yeo was hated around here but as an HC he's done a good job
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm

skullman80 wrote:I don't care what the ranking shows, when your powerplay takes 1:30 seconds to get set up most times, and has issues entering the zone <75% of the time you have issues. It just seems like it has no direction or focus. Blame it on the players, blame it on the coaching, its U-G-L-Y.

This is the default, typical, nauseating answer. "I don't care how effective it is. I don't care that they click at 22%. They don't enter the zone tic tac toe every single time." Results are results. You can't ask much more from your powerplay.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 pm

joe icepick wrote:So nothing will change until 2:55 on April 3.

Pretty much...

If anything does happen it will happen after this season
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 am

meow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I don't care what the ranking shows, when your powerplay takes 1:30 seconds to get set up most times, and has issues entering the zone <75% of the time you have issues. It just seems like it has no direction or focus. Blame it on the players, blame it on the coaching, its U-G-L-Y.

This is the default, typical, nauseating answer. "I don't care how effective it is. I don't care that they click at 22%. They don't enter the zone tic tac toe every single time." Results are results. You can't ask much more from your powerplay.

The problem is that what theyre doing now is not conducive to results over an extended period of time. If they produce doing it, who cares. Its not likely to continue producing as is though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 am

Dan Bylsma is undoubtedly an excellent coach and well regarded for good reason. But it may be he doesn't have the answers for this particular team anymore.

Unlike last season, I am not in favor of firing him. I am interested to see what the results of the Jacques Martin experiment may be. There needs to be adversity for any good from it.

I am giving them a bye for at least the first quarter of the season.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 am

This thread should be stickied.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 am

Daniel87 wrote:This thread should be stickied.

It isn't?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:40 am

Let face it when this team is winning it seems like its winning on talent alone. Nothing much else going on there than the pure skill of our players shinning through. When we lose games we are shut down (like the past 3) it feels alot more like we were beaten by a team with a system implimented to take away our skill.

... i guess we all kinda knew this
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 am

Everyone talks about changing the lines. I honestly don't think that is the big issue. What I do think the bigger issue with this team is the in game adjustments. Match ups in particularly. Switching this player with that can maybe get geno and a few others going only temporarily but not permanent cause all other teams will do is adjust accordingly and those said players will cool off. Coaching adjustments such as line matchups will always be in the game of hockey and will never go away.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 am

no name wrote:Let face it when this team is winning it seems like its winning on talent alone. Nothing much else going on there than the pure skill of our players shinning through. When we lose games we are shut down (like the past 3) it feels alot more like we were beaten by a team with a system implimented to take away our skill.

... i guess we all kinda knew this

I definitely don't feel like the pens were shutdown against the Flyers. If giving up those kinds of oppertunities is Berube's idea of "shutting an opponent down" than I hope he stays the Flyers coach for a long time.

The Rags game was a one-sided affair, but not necessarily the pens being "shut down," at least not in terms of what Boston did in the spring. The Pens could've been up 2 or 3-0 in the first five minutes of that game if things bounce a little differently...but that's one of the great things about hockey.

The Blues...yeah, they shut the pens down.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:01 am

He needs to get Malkin going again. He needs to put him Crosby and Kunitz on a line together for a few games and let him rack up a few points. Even if it destroys the 2nd line, who cares, its not scoring anyways right now. I am not saying this should be long term or even short term, just a few games to try and get him scoring again and gain some confidence.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 am

I don't think Bylsma has the balls to shake up lines like that.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 am

When was the last time he put both Malkin and Crosby on the same line together besides having a man advantage? I can't remember honestly. I remember that was something both him and Therrian would do anytime the team was behind and could use a spark.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

He's done it for like a shift or two after icings or late in a period.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins