Game 20 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 20 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:I'm not having much fun watching this team this season, even when they were 7-1. It's really a shame. I''ll probably continue to watch, but this organization is headed in the wrong direction and it's really frustrating to see all of this talent wasted.

I commend you for being honest and not falling into the trap about this team and its leadership. You will probably be crucified for it but I am right there with you bro.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:00 pm

profpolisci wrote:Stale and all too familiar performance against the Debs. They're 5-7 in their last twelve. Fleury's game as of late shows the tinge of reverting to latter day MAF mean: stellar, beautiful saves mingled with near beer league incompetence.

Is Sid the league's best player? Probably. Perhaps undoubtedly. Could one argue that he's simultaneously its most over-rated player? Maybe. I think the case could made that until he shows he can be Patrick Kane clutch he's deserving of no better moniker than 'best player in the world- regular season' or perhaps, 'best player in the world against everybody but top tier teams'.

What I am sure of is his propensity for acting as if somebody backed over his foot three times when he's game frustrated, and, that his too often petulant response hinders his performance. Off ice, Sid has always shown such admirable maturity in so many areas of life. As for his job, he's learned to improve his face-offs, his shot, and his backhand, but leaves one wondering why he can't control his emotions at critical times when there's a sheet of ice under his feet?

As for Letang, when Bob Grove says "he just doesn't get playing the power play" (Penguins post-game-brought to you by UPMC/Disney grandmother, 11-16-013) and Stan Savran agrees, I'm inclined to think they're onto something. But he's so danged skilled. One can only hope that it will finally click. Maybe tomorrow?
Could not have said it better myself.
And Geno?...yoy. What is it now, 16G's in the last 68 games? Talking slump? Ovechkin had nothing on Geno. Don't have a clue as how to fix it but am starting to suspect that me and Coach Dan have that in common.

Coach Dan? I'm still befuddled by the Boston series. Wasn't too fond of his Despres prediction either. Hey Coach Dan, I like Englelland a lot - as a potential 4th liner, but do you believe No 5 would have eight goals, three assists and be a plus thirteen down on the farm? You make me wonder.

I know it's only twenty in the book, that they're atop their division in a league where it's difficult to score, but whatever mojo a tight elite team carries in its back pocket seems to me to be missing from this team. The Pens have an elite roster but something is off. I'd like to say they strike me as vibrant rather than stale, but I can't.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Could not have said it better myself
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:Need to do a better job identifying the weakness of the opposing team. For the Devils, it's their defensemen on paper...they lack a lot of skill, they lack a big imposing physical presence, they lack a lot of mobility. Challenge them down low below the goal line. Now, some of you are thinking "but the Devils are a cycling team...aren't we just playing their game, playing to their strengths?" Well, yes, they are a cycling team but if you notice, it's usually a 3-man cycle off of their aggressive forecheck. When the defense gets the puck, they just shoot...they don't slide down the boards like Letang or some of our d-men do (which is by design). So, we could take it to them with skill, speed and a little bit of sandpaper.

Instead, everything went high. Huge advantage for an aggressive group of forwards that the Devils have. They are well-coached, they move as a unit. They lack speed, so their best chance to generate chances are from turnovers high...not earning the puck back down-low. We continued to fox around with the puck out high and we did their work for them.

This so very right! Not unusual from mikey. But why the heck all the coaching personnel we have on payroll could not see this at all???
Nor those presumably smart star players?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:I'm not having much fun watching this team this season, even when they were 7-1. It's really a shame. I''ll probably continue to watch, but this organization is headed in the wrong direction and it's really frustrating to see all of this talent wasted.

I commend you for being honest and not falling into the trap about this team and its leadership. You will probably be crucified for it but I am right there with you bro.

I think the disinterest in the season is because of the Boston series... It sort of brought to light a lot of what is wrong with the team. Couple that with the fact Shero changed absolutely nothing at all this offseason, and you have a sort of 'guarded' enthusiasm when it comes to watching the pens.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:I think the disinterest in the season is because of the Boston series... It sort of brought to light a lot of what is wrong with the team. Couple that with the fact Shero changed absolutely nothing at all this offseason, and you have a sort of 'guarded' enthusiasm when it comes to watching the pens.
These things have been brought to light for a while now. Boston was just the lastest example. Philly and Montreal also were a lot more of the same. I miss the team 2007-2009 where they could be down 2 goals and then special things would happen. I just don't see that in them anymore. Teams get up a goal now, and it's most likely over. They roll over too easily. It is frustrating.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:26 am

The Penguins are lacking that killer instinct.

This is a game that the Penguins not only SHOULD have won, but NEEDED to win. The schedule is pretty difficult for the rest of the month and a game that close should have been won with all the firepower the Pens had in the line-up.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 am

This team is getting very close to needing a disciplinarian coach who will hold them accountable. Coach's have a shelf life. This players coach works for a while, may be time to go to a Therien approach again!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:41 am

Really great post profpolsci. :thumb:
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

KG wrote:This team is getting very close to needing a disciplinarian coach who will hold them accountable. Coach's have a shelf life. This players coach works for a while, may be time to go to a Therien approach again!

100% I just said the same thing in the Fire DB thread
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:59 am

pcm wrote:Really great post profpolsci. :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 pm

And give the Penguins their latest defeat in Newark, although defenseman Brooks Orpik pointed out that their struggles in the Prudential Center might not be the most significant problem the Penguins are facing now.
"I'm not too worried about the building," he said. "I just don't think we've played too well lately, as a team, no matter where we're playing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013 ... z2l2kpvHGJ

I hope the line changes gives the players a jolt of energy. They need to rediscovered love for the game & to excel.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins