OFFICIAL GDT: 11/18/13 DUCKS at PENS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: 11/18/13 DUCKS at PENS

Postby farnham16 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Seems to me like Bennett is given no margin for error by this coaching staff. One mistake, and he's demoted. One period where they don't like his game, and he sits. How is Bennett ever to get chemistry in a top six role or confidence if he is constantly getting benched for little things? He's a rookie basically. Mistakes are going to happen. Was he great in the first period tonight? No. But none of the Pens were. He wasn't even given half a game with the Crosby line before he was demoted.

He needs to be given 3 or 4 games in a row where he's playing on that top line with Sid. 16-17 minutes a night. If he isn't getting it done and looking overwhelmed, then take him off. But to give him basically one period before removing him is insane and unfair to his development.

Again, if the Pens are going to continue to use him like they have and not trust him then he should be sent down now. They cannot afford for him not to develop into a good top six wing.
Last edited by farnham16 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:19 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:I don't actually disagree with you, but I don't see how watching a young player's minutes, or even being a little "hard" on him form time to time will somehow damage his ability to learn.

Playing afraid to make a mistake is a great way to suck.

Essentially what Lovejoy said in his interview today.

I watched football during intermissions. He was definitely a guy that was put in a position tofail as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 pm

farnham16 wrote:Seems to me like Bennett is given no margin for error by this coaching staff. One mistake, and he's demoted. One period where they don't like his game, and he sits. How is Bennett ever to get chemistry in a top six role or confidence if he is constantly getting benched for little things? He's a rookie basically. Mistakes are going to happen. Was he great in the first period tonight? No. But none of the Pens were. He wasn't even given half a game with the Crosby line before he was demoted.

He needs to be given 3 or 4 games in a row where he's playing on that top line with Sid. 16-17 minutes a night. If he isn't getting it done and looking overwhelmed, then take him off. But to give him basically one period before removing him is insane and unfair to his development.

Again, if the Pens are going to continue to use him like they have, he should be sent down now. They cannot afford for him not to develop into a good top six wing.

if bennett stopped trying to show any offensive ability whatsoever, i think he'd be a coach's favorite.

and i'm not being sarcastic.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Seems to me like Bennett is given no margin for error by this coaching staff. One mistake, and he's demoted. One period where they don't like his game, and he sits. How is Bennett ever to get chemistry in a top six role or confidence if he is constantly getting benched for little things? He's a rookie basically. Mistakes are going to happen. Was he great in the first period tonight? No. But none of the Pens were. He wasn't even given half a game with the Crosby line before he was demoted.

Again, if the Pens are going to continue to use him like they have, he should be sent down now. They cannot afford for him not to develop into a good top six wing.

if bennett stopped trying to show any offensive ability whatsoever, i think he'd be a coach's favorite.

and i'm not being sarcastic.

I think youre allowed to play offense, you just have to be devoid of offensive talent so he knows where you're coming from.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Blah....shouldve scored 5.

wrong

shouldn't have given up any goals - like a REAL shutdown goalie would have, perhaps a Ben Scrivens or Steve Mason, or Justin Peters.
Trust me, I watch a lot of hockey.

:lol: :thumb:

Huh?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Tonight's win didn't change the fact that Bylsma needs to be gone, and the fact that he's a joke.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:26 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Tonight's win didn't change the fact that Bylsma needs to be gone, and the fact that he's a joke.

Good win tonight. Nice to see them get a win over a quality team. Wednesday is the real test though. A road game against a legit team. Let's see how the team plays there.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:

wrong

shouldn't have given up any goals - like a REAL shutdown goalie would have, perhaps a Ben Scrivens or Steve Mason, or Justin Peters.

Huh?

Shutdown goalie thread reference.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:

wrong

Huh?

A Shaky Walton reference. :thumb:
Last edited by Great58 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Um.......ok?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 pm

If Shaky = MM....then he's correct.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sniper on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:44 pm

farnham16 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Tonight's win didn't change the fact that Bylsma needs to be gone, and the fact that he's a joke.

Good win tonight. Nice to see them get a win over a quality team. Wednesday is the real test though. A road game against a legit team. Let's see how the team plays there.

Seeing as how Washington is good at special teams play I'd expect it to be a game with lots of power plays, because that is exactly what the Pens will want to avoid.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:
nocera wrote:Since One Person wants to point at MAF being unable to make the key save to keep the Pens in it, can we praise him now?

Fixt

If this game isnt proof to everyone that Fleury is past his playoff woes, i give up talking to you people.

Sorry we're done talking, but Fleury has played well in the regular season plenty of times in the past, only to crap the bed in the playoffs. This game does absolutely nothing to dispel that, as it is, of course, the regular season. I have long been a Fleury critic, and will not hesitate to say he has been exceptional this season so far. That has absolutely nothing to do with playoff performance, however. The biggest thing I can't believe is that no one responded to this broad, unwarranted statement.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 am

Are you drunk?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Are you drunk?

Why, yes, a bit. Sorry, the Walking Dead thread still has me a bit frazzled.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 am

I love Fleury, and he played great in this win. However, he could go 82-0 with a 0.00 GAA in the regular season and there would still be that shred of doubt come playoff time. He needs to dominate in the postseason again, perhaps even for just one series, to erase some of the doubt.

Same thing with Geno. We all love the guy, and he played with a lot of heart in recent games. But if he does not score goals, at least occasionally, he'll be criticized, and it would be warranted. He gets paid to score goals. He's in his prime. He's scored goals before. He should be up there with the league leaders, instead he has as many goals as Engelland. The good news is that if he drives to the net like he did against the Ducks, eventually a puck will hit him and go in. The bad news is that he's passing up glorious chances to shoot.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 am

Personally, I'm more concerned with how the team responds during the playoffs. They have literally fallen apart when pressured by a team playing at playoff speed.
Turnovers, odd man breaks, an inability to stop a team from camping out behind the pens net, a lack of scoring - all of these have plagued the penguins the past few playoff years.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 am

There is a ton of talk about how good Bennett is... a TON of talk. Near complete lack of showing it on the ice... but a ton of talk.

If Bennett wants top 6 ice time then he needs to bump up his on ice play. Him getting 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes is irrelevant at this point. He needs to go out every shift, EVERY SHIFT, and play like it was a job interview.

(Just as an example of output, not comparing the two guys directly) Gibbons has 10:11 of ice time total, TOTAL and he has he same points total as Bennett and he also has a goal, which Bennett does not. That is to counter the "he needs to be given a chance" type argument. Gibbons was given an inch and took a mile. Bennett has been given a half mile or so and is still talking to someone at the starting line.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 am

Jim wrote:There is a ton of talk about how good Bennett is... a TON of talk. Near complete lack of showing it on the ice... but a ton of talk.

If Bennett wants top 6 ice time then he needs to bump up his on ice play. Him getting 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes is irrelevant at this point. He needs to go out every shift, EVERY SHIFT, and play like it was a job interview.

(Just as an example of output, not comparing the two guys directly) Gibbons has 10:11 of ice time total, TOTAL and he has he same points total as Bennett and he also has a goal, which Bennett does not. That is to counter the "he needs to be given a chance" type argument. Gibbons was given an inch and took a mile. Bennett has been given a half mile or so and is still talking to someone at the starting line.
agreed. Good post. I like Bennett, but he needs to be better. I still hope he gets a chance with Sid to see if they start clicking. I didn't see much evidence of that last night.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 am

I totally disagree on all of this negativity towards Bennett. I thought he and Sid had some very good chemistry going, and he was consistently in front of the net. I might be wrong but I think he got rocked on one play and maybe shaken up a little which is why he saw less ice time.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cu11en on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 am

Can the Pens move to the Western Conference? Pens seem to have more space to work against those teams. How many EC teams would've let Geno orbit around the entire team and then execute an untouched cross?
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 am

I'm not ready to crown Bennett king of all prospects, but if you're going to put him on Sid's line; then put him on Sid's line. None of this leash yanking garbage. It's November. Developing the team is more important than putting a 3rd defender on the ice to protect a 2 goal lead. Bennett aside, if you have to resort to putting Adams with Sid to shore up your defense, you're already screwed.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:00 am

It stinks that B Boudreau only coaches one NHL team.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 am

I'm kind of torn here because Bennett looked great last year and definitely needs to spend time in the top six, but I don't think he's looked nearly as good this year and based on his recent play, hasn't really earned top six time. Then again, I wonder if that's because he's gripping his stick too tight because he knows the first time he makes a mistake, he's benched.

ps - anyone know what his injury was this year? I know last year he said he was still recovering from his wrist injury and it wasn't 100% yet...wonder if that's 100%.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 am

He's spent one game on the Crosby line and missed a number of games this year due to injury. :face: Give him some time.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins