OFFICIAL GDT: 11/18/13 DUCKS at PENS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: 11/18/13 DUCKS at PENS

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Why do people get hung up on the idea that when someone says something about developin players theyre talkin about forwards only?

Because our D prospects are some of the best in the NHL?

Are they? Thycertainly bring in high end talent. How many have "made it" with the Pens under Shero? The answer is 1. Letang. And they didn really do much developing with him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:28 pm

How many of them haven't made it because of the number of defensemen we already have at the NHL level? :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

You make my point nicely for me. How many FAdefensement have they brought in recently?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm

2, that have stuck around. Paul Martin and Rob Scuderi. 3 if you count Michalek.

Niskanen was via trade. Letang was a pick. Orpik was a pick. Bortuzzo was a pick. Maatta was a pick. Engelland was drafted in 2000 by the Devils and worked his way up after he was signed in 2006.

Also, I still don't see how that makes your argument. Dumoulin was drafted in 09. Despres drafted in 09. Harrington drafted in 2011. Pouliot was drafted in 2012. Most players don't make the jump to the NHL that quickly unless they have everything, like Maatta.

It still doesn't change the fact that our crop of defensemen in the system is arguably the best in the NHL. Their development isn't bad if they're not in the NHL at 22, yet some people choose to (incorrectly) believe this.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Thats a nice list of the young prospects they have now. What about all of the ones ever under shero, again except letang, who have not done anything? Its fine that theyre just brought in to become trade pieces, but the pens have not developed much that has contributed for them at the nhl level. Saying thy developed letan is even a bit of a stretch.

The formula seems to be develop an incomplete player, shelter their minutes to make them look good, move them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm

They haven't had anyone to contribute at the NHL level because the high end guys they've drafted have only been in the organization since 09. They're also stuck behind guys who have earned a spot. I don't see why you think this = fail.

Again, I still don't see how that means we've failed at developing them. It's not failing if the oldest guy who hasn't made the NHL is 22. It means the book is still open.

Shero only had 4 or 5 D picks, who have played in the organization at any level, before 2009. Sneep, Strait, Bortuzzo, Grant, D'Agostino. Of those, 2 were traded for picks, 1 was waived and is now an NHL d-man because we had no room... The other just finished his senior year at Cornell and is playing in WBS, and the last one is currently on the roster.

I don't get what's wrong with the fact that guys aren't making the NHL at 22. Everyone follows a different path. Doesn't mean they've failed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm

The oldest guy still with the organization is only 22. Shero has been here more than 4 years, he and the players he drafted early on can be fairly judged at this point. They havent contributed to the penguins. Why are you stuck on these young players that are near right now? Im not even talking about the present day top prospects. Try looking at te whole body of work rather than a small sample.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby westside on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm

We beat one of the best team in the league last night, right? OK, it was really really hard to tell from this thread. Talk about not being happy no matter what... this place is just depressing.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Again, Bennett is a top 6 winger. He is not a bottom six guy. Playing him 10 mins a night with the third line or moving him all around during a game is hurting him. He needs to be given a legit shot with the top six. 4 or 5 games in a row where he stays on the same line and gets around 16 mins a night. This demoting him for any mistake he might make is garbage from Bylsma and the height of hypocrisy.

You would think a rookie would have a little more wiggle room when it comes to making mistakes. Yet, any time he does he's benched. He was sat last night because he missed his guy on the Ducks goal. If that is the standard Bylsma wants to play, why has Kris Letang never seen any ice time taken from him considering the fact he's been directly at fault for about a dozen goals against over the past couple years? Probably more actually.

The Pens can't afford to screw up Bennett's development. If they are going to continue to use him they way they have, then he should be sent down to WBS where he can play solid top six minutes every night. The Pens would be better off with another one of their no talent midgets playing the role Bylsma currently has Bennett in.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins