OFFICIAL GDT: PENS VS ISLANDERS (12/3/13)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENS VS ISLANDERS (12/3/13)

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

We were speaking directly about the Tavares/Malkin incident. The Isles were smart not to attack on that. Vanek taking vigilante justice after getting his skate pushed out from behind or whatever is another matter. Not intelligent, but also not related to the topic.

Half those tough guys were scratched or injured I think...so I would hope that you didn't notice them. But I'm not sure we're really in a position to be calling teams soft or stupid...considering we're two heaping tablespoons of each...

I guess we'll find out how soft and stupid they are next time we play them...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Pitts wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I think Letang is in that position a good majority (I would think) of athletes find themselves in. They sign that big contract and then if they struggle out of the gate, there is more pressure and so forth and it snowballs.

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but it happens quite a bit across all sports. He'll right the ship, I just don't know when.

This happens more often that we all realize. In 2-3 years, we will all be looking at it and thanking Shero they locked him up all those years ago! :)

Except he was playing like this before he signed the contract.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah, like when he was a Norris finalist.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 pm

mikey287 wrote:We were speaking directly about the Tavares/Malkin incident. The Isles were smart not to attack on that. Vanek taking vigilante justice after getting his skate pushed out from behind or whatever is another matter. Not intelligent, but also not related to the topic.

Half those tough guys were scratched or injured I think...so I would hope that you didn't notice them. But I'm not sure we're really in a position to be calling teams soft or stupid...considering we're two heaping tablespoons of each...

I guess we'll find out how soft and stupid they are next time we play them...

I still don't see how you can call them smart for not attacking after the Tavares/Malkin incident when the Vanek stupidity happened a minute later with the same conditions still applying. They were still on the power play and still had a chance to win the game. You can say it's a different topic all you want, but given the same conditions apply I'd say it's very related. If they were so smart the Vanek penalty doesn't happen.

I don't think either team is particulary tough, but I can guarantee if Tavares did to Malkin or Crosby what Malkin did to him he'd of had some guys in his face in a hurry. That didn't happen with NY. That screams soft to me.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Gaucho wrote:Yeah, like when he was a Norris finalist.

Didn't play like one in the playoffs, and has regressed ever since last season ended.

Also, he was a Norris finalist because of his point totals, not his defensive play. Why else would Erik Karlsson have won it the year before?

It's nice that he can score points. But it would be even better if he could actually play defense and stop committing backbreaking turnovers every single game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:52 pm

sniper wrote:
I don't think either team is particulary tough, but I can guarantee if Tavares did to Malkin or Crosby what Malkin did to him he'd of had some guys in his face in a hurry. That didn't happen with NY. That screams soft to me.

Not sure thats true... Sid took a lot of abuse in MTL, and no one took PK to task.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Didn't play like one in the playoffs, and has regressed ever since last season ended.

Also, he was a Norris finalist because of his point totals, not his defensive play. Why else would Erik Karlsson have won it the year before?

It's nice that he can score points. But it would be even better if he could actually play defense and stop committing backbreaking turnovers every single game.

He sure can play defense when he puts his mind to it. But his mind seems to be elsewhere more often than not these days.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:28 pm

If the Norris were actually for defensive play these days Paul Martin should have been a nominee over any of those guys last year. He scored a lot last year and that's what they look at. The point many have made so far this season is if he's going to be train wreck defensively, at the very least step it up elsewhere, and he isn't.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:34 pm

No, he isn't.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
sniper wrote:

Not sure thats true... Sid took a lot of abuse in MTL, and no one took PK to task.

I don't recall him laying on the ice after the play was over with a Subban standing over top of him. He got hit during the play sure, but I don't recall anything occurring that resulted in a penalty to Subban or after the whistle blew where he was hitting Crosby and nobody responded. It's a lot more difficult to go after Subban while play is going on then right after the whistle blew and your franchise player is laying on the ice at home after getting beat on.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins