OFFICIAL GDT 12/20/13 PENS - WILD

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT 12/20/13 PENS - WILD

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 am

Pens have not trailed on home ice in 317+ minutes. Major props to the young D, the coaching staff, and especially Sid, who has stepped up his game in the absence of so many key players. He is the definition of a leader and elevates the play of his teammates.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am

Sarcastic wrote:Don't ask me, I'm not naming any names lol. I don't even know where to begin. I wanted to trade Niskanen really bad, but seeing how he's played the last 2 weeks... crap, is he more reliable than Letang all of a sudden? He's not half as skilled, but... I just don't know. I would just like to get Maatta and Bort good playing time and I'd like to keep Despres around. They better put Engo back on wing.

Niskanen is also going to be a UFA after this season. He's probably due for a raise. Are you really going to pay it with all the guys waiting in the wings? You can probably ship him to Minnesota for a package around Zucker or something. We know they're not moving Letang. I've already resigned myself to an Orpik re-sign.

Don't forget Niskanen has looked good in the regular season before (not quite this good, obviously), but has pretty much become a shell every playoffs.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am

Pens got the most wins in the league with 26
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:08 am

What was Goligoski's contract situation before he got traded? He was due for a new one in the next year or two, right?
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:08 am

What a fun game to attend
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 am

With this kid anything is possible. You also heard that here. Mark it down. Olli Maatta is one of those special players. One of the best D prospects that I ever saw in a Penguin uniform and I have seen them all.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby M10 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:30 am

It is refreshing to watch a team full of youthful exuberance. Reminds me of 2006-2009ish times. Being physical and taking care of each other.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 am

Avyran wrote:What was Goligoski's contract situation before he got traded? He was due for a new one in the next year or two, right?

Goose was traded in late February of 2011 in the second year of three year deal worth $1,833,333 per season (cap). Broken down as such:

2009-10: $1.25M
2010-11: $1.5M (traded late in this season)
2011-12: $2.75M (then RFA)

Then signed a 4 x $4.6 deal with Dallas and will, of course, be unrestricted after its expiry...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:45 am

Just saw on TSN, the first goal was given to Kunitz not Dupuis. Maatta ended up with only a goal and an assist in the game. If it stands that give Kuny 20. Also checking the plus minus stats for the Pens D on the Penguins website Nisky plus 20 Maatta plus 6 Scuds plus 5 Orpik plus 1 Martin minus 1 Letang minus 6 Very interesting. Those guys who are hurt should take some extra time to heal. Right now it really looks like the youth is doing just fine. Experience is the best teacher.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 am

Props to :
Maata - another great game..lucky goal,but he deserved it! He is really special young talent and future Norris candidate,maybe even a winner for sure.. Niskanen as his D partner? Well,could we imagined better - I think not.. They are playing great together,I hope we dont break them up,when everyone healthy.. Despres will probably go to WBS anyway..

Zatkoff - he proved to be reliable backup,6 wins in a row,with nice SVS % .. Nice to see solid no.2 ,after what happened to Tomas..
How is he doing??

Kunitz - another 20+ plus season in making.. I never thought he would become such a goalscorer he is now.. I thought his ceiling is 20-25 goals.. He is like wine,older and better every year he is here.. Now on pace for 44 goals!? :thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:29 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Just saw on TSN, the first goal was given to Kunitz not Dupuis. Maatta ended up with only a goal and an assist in the game. If it stands that give Kuny 20. Also checking the plus minus stats for the Pens D on the Penguins website Nisky plus 20 Maatta plus 6 Scuds plus 5 Orpik plus 1 Martin minus 1 Letang minus 6 Very interesting. Those guys who are hurt should take some extra time to heal. Right now it really looks like the youth is doing just fine. Experience is the best teacher.

It's funny how all these excuses have been made over the years for Letang. Very early in his career it was the Luc Bourdon thing. Then, it was how difficult Bylsma's system is for defenseman to learn. This season, it's been how he's had so much trouble adjusting to the new system.

These young D are picking it up, no problem. People have finally realized that Letang is a great skater and nothing more. One who is a perpetual bad decision maker with the puck and cannot stay healthy for any length of time. These past several games have been so entertaining, not to see the same players making the same mistakes, then moping about the ice, getting down on themselves, and losing their composure when an opponent hits them even slightly with a check.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:03 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Just saw on TSN, the first goal was given to Kunitz not Dupuis. Maatta ended up with only a goal and an assist in the game. If it stands that give Kuny 20. Also checking the plus minus stats for the Pens D on the Penguins website Nisky plus 20 Maatta plus 6 Scuds plus 5 Orpik plus 1 Martin minus 1 Letang minus 6 Very interesting. Those guys who are hurt should take some extra time to heal. Right now it really looks like the youth is doing just fine. Experience is the best teacher.

It's funny how all these excuses have been made over the years for Letang. Very early in his career it was the Luc Bourdon thing. Then, it was how difficult Bylsma's system is for defenseman to learn. This season, it's been how he's had so much trouble adjusting to the new system.

These young D are picking it up, no problem. People have finally realized that Letang is a great skater and nothing more. One who is a perpetual bad decision maker with the puck and cannot stay healthy for any length of time. These past several games have been so entertaining, not to see the same players making the same mistakes, then moping about the ice, getting down on themselves, and losing their composure when an opponent hits them even slightly with a check.

Letang reminds me of the guy (we have all seen them) who has all of the physical strength and ability but can't find his way home at night. A muscle head with no brain and no real hockey IQ. What a shame. He comes across as a nice kid but when the doorbell rings there is nobody home. What a shame.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins