Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you rather play?

Philadelphia
14%
Columbus
72%
Detroit
14%

Total votes : 71

Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am

This is probably a slam-dunk question as I'm sure Columbus will be the Poll-Winner, but I'm curious as to everyone's reasoning in the choice.

What concerns me the most since the Olympic break has been the Pens inability to dictate the play, pace and style of a game and I believe the game against the Jets last night was a prime example.

Yes, the Penguins won...BARELY! That game could have gone either way; goaltending was the x-factor.

Yes, the Penguins have plenty of other issues:
-Poor defensive play
-Not showing up for a full sixty minutes
We can go on and on...

What makes teams like Chicago, LA, St.Louis and Boston so strong besides their depth?
-THEY play like the game is decided upon them, not the other team
-THEY play like they are in control
-THEY dictate what kind of game they want it to be

The Penguins play like they know their talent can bail them out and honestly, that's what I believe would/will happen if we play Columbus. Columbus is very much like the Islanders last year and should not be underestimated by any team.

I believe like they did against he Islanders, they can beat Columbus on talent alone, but not Detroit or Philly.

Detroit and Philly are two teams that struggled hard the first half the season and then quietly put together a solid season post-olympic break.

Detroit has had almost as bad of a season in regards to injuries as the Penguins, yet had more success than the Pens with a much weaker roster.
Philly has major flaws, but they have shown the ability to explode over teams and still dictate the play.

I believe Detroit or Philly could easily upset the Penguins in the first round if the Penguins continue this style of play.

What say you?
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Postby dodint on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am

CBJ, just for the sake of a future rivalry. It's not that important to me if we see Philly/Detroit early, because they'll certainly see one or two of them at some point. A DET/BOS series would eliminate a bit of anxiety around here sooner than later, though.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:48 am

Philly. Let's see if 2012 was just an aberration like some claim it to be, or if it was actually a sign of things to come. It's the best litmus test for the Pens as a team moving forward. If not the 1st round, I hope we see them at some point.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 am

I think Detroit will beat the Penguins in 5, maybe 6 games. The Penguins defense right now is a putrid assembly of guys that aren't really doing much of anything. The team is frustrated, playing like they're frustrated, and don't have the in-game structure to beat Mike Babcock's team in a seven game series.

I think the Penguins could beat the Flyers in 6 or 7 games if they keep their heads mentally.

I think the Penguins could likely beat the Blue Jackets in 4 or 5 games just based on the fact that CBJ doesn't have the horses offensively or defensively to overwhelm the Penguins.

Detroit terrifies me.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am

Jesse wrote:I think Detroit will beat the Penguins in 5, maybe 6 games. The Penguins defense right now is a putrid assembly of guys that aren't really doing much of anything. The team is frustrated, playing like they're frustrated, and don't have the in-game structure to beat Mike Babcock's team in a seven game series.

I think the Penguins could beat the Flyers in 6 or 7 games if they keep their heads mentally.

I think the Penguins could likely beat the Blue Jackets in 4 or 5 games just based on the fact that CBJ doesn't have the horses offensively or defensively to overwhelm the Penguins.

Detroit terrifies me.

There are two factors that could make the difference against Detroit, and they are the play of Fleury and the possible return of Letang. Also, how healthy will Datsyuk actually be? The Wings have worse injury problems than the Pens do, and Howard is either really good or horrendously bad. My prediction would be that the Pens survive in a sloppy, inconsistent 7 game series against Detroit.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:22 pm

I'd prefer Columbus, only because the Pens would have home ice advantage for all 7 games.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm

I want Detroit because I think they're the only team that can get the Pens in playoff-mode right from the get go. Philly would likely turn into two years ago. I could see Columbus sparking a meltdown, combined with Bobrosvsky deciding to not letting in anything.

Detroit plays hard, fast, disciplined, and straight-forward. No agitators, no run-and-gun, just good hockey. If they can't get the Pens in gear, then they don't really have a chance anyway.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm

I do not want to play Detroit. They will be getting a fresh Zetterberg and Datsyuk back. We all remember how Zetterberg stifled Sid back in the day (3G, 6A in13 games). Detroit is a veteran team that knows how to beat the Pens.

Phildelphia. 'Nuf said. They bring out the very worst in the Pens. PLus they've been among the best teams since the start of the year.

So it's Columbus by default. Not that I am convinced the Pens will beat them, but thet they have the best shot at it.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Pens made the playoffs? I can't tell reading threads anymore.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't see how anyone can see these three options and not pick columbus, unless you just want an LGP blowup.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I say Detroit, of course facing Columbus might be easier but i want the Pens to face a challenge and adversity. Detroit gets stronger as the playoffs go on. The first round isn't called as tight as the later rounds so Detroit can't play its full blown almost interference system to full effect. If we can get past them it might just give the team some confidence if we have to face Boston and Philly in the later rounds. Plus a first round exit might work to our favor of getting Bylsma out of here.

So bring on Detroit cause it seems like its going to be that way.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:30 pm

count2infinity wrote:I don't see how anyone can see these three options and not pick columbus, unless you just want an LGP blowup.

I agree with you, but I think some of the people wanting Detroit have good points.

The Penguins need a shock to the system sometime. Adversity might be better than a cakewalk in the first round. If it's too easy for them in the first round, the Penguins may get complacent.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Also, Zetterberg isn't projected back in Round 1 -- if he does make it in the later games somehow, he likely won't be effective as he usually is anyway.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:They will be getting a fresh Zetterberg and Datsyuk back.

Newest reports say he won't be back until mid-round at the very earliest. And he would be returning from back surgery. I'd love to see him try to keep up with Sid.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

CBJ. But I'm not nearly as terrified of the Wings as Jesse is. Maybe ignorance is my friend.
Seems like a coin flip between who we will get. Jackets have to play Chicago, although they are a bit wounded right now. They have Tampa who may or may not be fighting for home ice at that point. Islanders, Panthers and a pre-existing 1-O lead over Dallas are winnable games, and Phoenix has nothing to play for.

The Wings have a one point lead, along with a pair of wins in the schedule against the Sabres, a visit from Carolina and more difficult matchups with the Habs, Pens and Blues to complete their season.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:20 pm

count2infinity wrote:I don't see how anyone can see these three options and not pick columbus, unless you just want an LGP blowup.

I picked Philly. But then again, if the regular season was a series of 41 home-and-homes with the Flyers forever, I'd sign on the dotted line, so I suppose my choice makes sense.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Philly would be interesting.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:18 pm

slappybrown wrote:

I picked Philly. But then again, if the regular season was a series of 41 home-and-homes with the Flyers forever, I'd sign on the dotted line, so I suppose my choice makes sense.

I'm with you. Nothing adds anticipation to a playoff game than the thought of facing the hated PF Flyers. Might as well face them early and deliver the death knell to Hartnell, Rinaldo and the gang..... or vice versa. A playoff series win would put the rest of the playoff teams on notice. And a loss might end the Pen coaching career of the fastest coach to 250 wins.
Last edited by Humperdink on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Pens Fan Since 1970 wrote:I'd prefer Columbus, only because the Pens would have home ice advantage for all 7 games.

:thumb:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I prefer Columbus.

I would not want to play Philly as they will drag the Pens into their legion of suck.

I have a natural "fear" of Detroit. They are cockroaches.. just when you think they are dead, they come back stronger.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:45 pm

CBJ is terrible. The other teams aren't. Easy choice.

I'm more scared of Philly than Detroit since a Philly series takes hockey largely out of the equation
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:CBJ is terrible. The other teams aren't. Easy choice.

I'm more scared of Philly than Detroit since a Philly series takes hockey largely out of the equation
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:CBJ is terrible. The other teams aren't. Easy choice.

CBJ is far from terrible.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 pm

They're not on the level of a Detroit or Philly, though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:They're not on the level of a Detroit or Philly, though.

I agree, but that doesn't mean they're a team to be taken lightly. They could easily be as problematic at the Islanders were last year.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins