Game 77 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 77 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Penspal wrote:I would never trade Neal for Kessler - #blasphemy

Nor would I - 40 goal point-per-game winger > 3rd line center.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:Ive been noticing a trend lately that this years whipping boy (Letang) is now being touted as the savior and missing link on our much maligned defense. Did everyone forget what a turd he was this season?

I haven't, but as soon as he had a stroke it was off limits to talk about how he takes dumb chances by pinching when he probably shouldn't, and passes it to the wrong team pretty often.

From a hockey standpoint the most unfortunate thing about his health is that any thought of trading him fell through the basement, so I don't even bother complaining anymore. But, since you brought it up... ;)
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:13 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Pens cancelled practice again today. Do they ever practice? I'm beginning to think not.

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:16 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Penspal wrote:I would never trade Neal for Kessler - #blasphemy

Nor would I - 40 goal point-per-game winger > 3rd line center.

The Pens' track record the last 6 years doesnt agree.

Not that i want the Pens anywhere near Kesler.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:16 pm

If I see another mention of Kulemin to the pens again I'm gonna lose my mind
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:32 pm

DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Hmmm...youtube. You realize that whatever is in that link is preferable to an eklund article for most people?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Hmmm...youtube. You realize that whatever is in that link is preferable to an eklund article for most people?

Yep. I'm in full troll mode at the moment. I don't do it often, but he asked for it.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Penspal wrote:- Speaking of coach, HCDB is the fastest coach to 250 REGULAR season wins. He must suck like, really really bad right?

Or, he has a team full of all stars...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:47 pm

What's Neal's PPG with and without Malkin the last few years?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:Bennett doesn't look out of place on the top line, but I thought Stempniak fit in well there already. I'd like to see Bennett tried out with Malkin and Neal.

As well as Stemp looked on line 1, I loved how line 3 looked and worked last night with Stemp there. He is a GREAT deadline addition.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:55 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Pens cancelled practice again today. Do they ever practice? I'm beginning to think not.

Well, it was raining. Pretty hard too.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 pm

toby91_ca wrote:How many more points would Crosby have if the guys he passes to were able to put the puck in an empty net?

The same comment was made regarding Lemieux back during 1985-1988. Except that Lemieux was playing with real stiffs. If they played today, they would have made episodes of The Walking Dead. :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:The bad - Jussi Jokinen has been absolutely terrible since the Olympics. The worst parts of his game are showing more and more. There is a reason that Carolina begged us to take him. He is not strong enough on the puck and some of his decision making is not in keeping with the conservative puck management agenda. Only Malkin and Sid should be making the kind of blind, high risk passes that he has been making of late.

Makes me wonder if he is, in fact, a suitable 3rd liner when Malkin comes back. Stemper or Bennett are probably dooming themselves there with their more responsible play.

BTW, congrats to Stempniak on somehow coaxing a goal out of Adams. He should get a dozen assists for that!

Jokinen is a tricky player to gauge. As I said previously to your comment, Jokinen is a player who thrives next talent and disappears everywhere else. This is not a bad thing per-se because sometimes it's hard to find players who can handle playing with elite players.

Jokinen can't always be gauged upon his stats(not saying you were doing that), but Jokinen is kind of like Dupuis in the sense that even if he doesn't show up on the score sheet frequently doesn't mean he wasn't strong on the ice. The difference is you may not always notice Jokinen like you do Dupuis and that's also not a bad thing.

Jokinen has a quiet but effective game and is RARELY a liability. Not being a liability is a major asset on a team like the Pens.

I have to agree with Hugo's assessment. And you have to remember that Jokinen effectively centered the 1st line when Crosby was out. I think he is an underrated player.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:03 pm

So BB played with Sid and Kuni.. JJ is with Sutter and Neal.. Glass and Stemp were on 3rd line with Gibbons then?
MEgna - Adams - Pyatt was 4th line? But who played C on 3rd line,because only Sid, JJ, CFA and Sutter were taking faceoffs..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Pens4Life wrote:So BB played with Sid and Kuni.. JJ is with Sutter and Neal.. Glass and Stemp were on 3rd line with Gibbons then?
MEgna - Adams - Pyatt was 4th line? But who played C on 3rd line,because only Sid, JJ, CFA and Sutter were taking faceoffs..

I think the "lines" were bennett sid kun gibbons jj neal stemp sutter megna glass adams pyatt

I use "lines" very loose.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:So BB played with Sid and Kuni.. JJ is with Sutter and Neal.. Glass and Stemp were on 3rd line with Gibbons then?

I think the "lines" were bennett sid kun gibbons jj neal stemp sutter megna glass adams pyatt

yeah, that's it. but i did notice that, when it was a 1 goal game late in the 3rd, they seemed to have benched bennett. if that's really the case, then i'm puzzled. i literally can't think of a more appropriate context for a young player to get experience playing top line minutes in a close game than last night - a game of basically no real consequence.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:47 pm

So does HCDB
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:36 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:The bad - Jussi Jokinen has been absolutely terrible since the Olympics. The worst parts of his game are showing more and more. There is a reason that Carolina begged us to take him. He is not strong enough on the puck and some of his decision making is not in keeping with the conservative puck management agenda. Only Malkin and Sid should be making the kind of blind, high risk passes that he has been making of late.

Makes me wonder if he is, in fact, a suitable 3rd liner when Malkin comes back. Stemper or Bennett are probably dooming themselves there with their more responsible play.

BTW, congrats to Stempniak on somehow coaxing a goal out of Adams. He should get a dozen assists for that!

Jokinen is a tricky player to gauge. As I said previously to your comment, Jokinen is a player who thrives next talent and disappears everywhere else. This is not a bad thing per-se because sometimes it's hard to find players who can handle playing with elite players.

Jokinen can't always be gauged upon his stats(not saying you were doing that), but Jokinen is kind of like Dupuis in the sense that even if he doesn't show up on the score sheet frequently doesn't mean he wasn't strong on the ice. The difference is you may not always notice Jokinen like you do Dupuis and that's also not a bad thing.

Jokinen has a quiet but effective game and is RARELY a liability. Not being a liability is a major asset on a team like the Pens.

I have to agree with Hugo's assessment. And you have to remember that Jokinen effectively centered the 1st line when Crosby was out. I think he is an underrated player.

When he is handing pucks over to the opposition, failing to get pucks deep and also getting pushed off of pucks repeatedly then I think he is no longer underrated. He also missed a defensive coverage or two last night. Unlike earlier in the season (prior to the Olympics) when we were seeing the best of him - right now, he is not playing well - points or no. While it is infuriating that Bylsma doesn't do it to others, he was MORE than justified in benching Jussi a few games back.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Beveridge wrote:

thanx
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:What's Neal's PPG with and without Malkin the last few years?

I don't get this argument or why it matters. we aren't paying him stupid money as we would to someone who can hold up his numbers on his own, and the reality is that he does play with Malkin. The stupid penalties are a fair criticism, but who cares that Neal might not be that great without Malkin? It matters that when Malkin is there, he scores.

You could pretty much do this for any of Geno's line mates: Malone, Sykora, Fedotenko, Jokinen.

There are plenty of guys who wouldn't be able to elevate their game with Malkin. We happen to have a guy who can elevate it multiple levels with him. There's value in that.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I still dont think hes a net positive unless hes hitting 40 goals...and i dont think that will happen again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:57 pm

bhaw wrote:We happen to have a guy who can elevate it multiple levels with him. There's value in that.

Does that really happen?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Tico Rick wrote:

Oh, it's ok. They needed the rest... to play another sport.

meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins