Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

tfrizz wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Wow I just watched the highlights...Zatkoff looked pathetic out there. Like a junior hockey goalie.

So you're saying he's in playoff form?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10457

Wow, he'll fit right in here under Bylsma in the playoffs. That's atrocious.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Wow I just watched the highlights...Zatkoff looked pathetic out there. Like a junior hockey goalie.

So you're saying he's in playoff form?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10457

Wow, he'll fit right in here under Bylsma in the playoffs. That's atrocious.

Yeah, it's not good. His playoff numbers make Fleury look like Roy.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:Fleury should get the Wings Wednesday at home and then be done. I'd play Zatkoff tonite and the back to back this coming weekend against OTT/PHI. Fleury should have been playing in fewer games the past two weeks to begin with. The back-to-back a weekend or two ago was particularly an egregiously stupid decision.

Fleury better get some rest, because as far as I see it, we do NOT have a viable backup goalie. Plus what happens if Fleury melts down again? Just a ton of questions around this team heading into the playoffs.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 pm

offsides wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Fleury should get the Wings Wednesday at home and then be done. I'd play Zatkoff tonite and the back to back this coming weekend against OTT/PHI. Fleury should have been playing in fewer games the past two weeks to begin with. The back-to-back a weekend or two ago was particularly an egregiously stupid decision.

Fleury better get some rest, because as far as I see it, we do NOT have a viable backup goalie. Plus what happens if Fleury melts down again? Just a ton of questions around this team heading into the playoffs.

If Fleury melts down, he'll be offered an extension. That's how we do it here.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:I can't recall seeing a team so in need of a coaching change for so long. Anyone that thinks that this team will be able to flip a switch 10 days from now and all of a sudden start playing winning hockey is delusional. I love the Pens and don't want to see another flame out. DB is driving this team off a cliff. They have so many bad habits that its impossible to think that just getting healthy will cure what ails them as a team.

-We thought the low point was the PHX game, then came the Hurricanes and now this.
-Anyone notice how lousy the Pens passing was all game? Looks like a team that hasn't practiced in a month.
-Pens were out worked and beaten to and knocked off of pucks all night long.
-Pens cannot get through neutral zone because the forwards are way too far up ice. Long passes through the neutral zone do not work against any competently coached team when the talent is even remotely similar. This obvious flaw in the team's approach changes the minute DB is out the door.
-props to Scuderi for playing with the nose gash
-Sweet chip pass by Moulson on the first goal
-Incredible save by Bryz on Neal
-Despres stepping up on the McCormick goal was ill advised. But it was then compounded by Niskanen stepping up and by Sid being incredibly soff/confused in the slot. Lousy team goal, but surely Despres will be scapegoated.
-Parise always seems to be extra fired up to play against 87.
-Wild will not be a friendly first round opponent. A lot of talent that seems to be coming together at the right time. Sochi stud Granlund wasn't in the lineup (olympic injury?) and Dany Heatley was a healthy scratch. A lot of young legs and veteran talent. A first round series versus either Anaheim or San Jose will be one to watch.
-Interesting match up tonight as the Avs are coming off a big victory in St Louis.

They look like they don't practice because, well, they don't. Practice the day before was cancelled in favor of playing lacross. They don't need to fine tune anything. They're perfectly ready to go, obviously.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Instead of DB having a presser after every game they just need a cardboard cut out of him and play the same audio over and over
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-0

- Neal gets rattled easily, he was looking for trouble last night (Pens players should jump in & stop him when they see it)

If there happens to be a blockbuster trade of some kind in the offseason for some odd reason, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if James Neal was involved in the trade. I'm not saying it is or should happen, just suggesting I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:03 pm

pens2005 wrote:

- Neal gets rattled easily, he was looking for trouble last night (Pens players should jump in & stop him when they see it)

If there happens to be a blockbuster trade of some kind in the offseason for some odd reason, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if James Neal was involved in the trade. I'm not saying it is or should happen, just suggesting I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

Sure.

One hypothetical to consider is: Would the team be better off with two players in the Dupuis & Stempniak range at $7M total or paying Neal $5M? I'm all for mid-price wingers, who can skate, dig in the corners, see the ice well and have a reasonable chance to pot 20 goals, simply because they are playing with Crosby or Malkin. Even if they aren't putting it in the net, they bring enough to improve their line. Neal is pretty useless, unless he's scoring.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Instead of DB having a presser after every game they just need a cardboard cut out of him and play the same audio over and over

I really like that. :thumb:

Do you think Bob Errey would mind interviewing the cut-out while he's between the glass? By the way, props to Errey for seriously attempting to conceal his true feelings. I wonder how long he can do it.

As for this team approaching the playoffs, my feelings are: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:15 pm

columbia wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

Sure.

One hypothetical to consider is: Would the team be better off with two players in the Dupuis & Stempniak range at $7M total or paying Neal $5M? I'm all for mid-price wingers, who can skate, dig in the corners, see the ice well and have a reasonable chance to pot 20 goals, simply because they are playing with Crosby or Malkin. Even if they aren't putting it in the net, they bring enough to improve their line. Neal is pretty useless, unless he's scoring.

Honestly, I think Neal's and a lot of the undisciplined play would end under a new coach. Neal can come around, can be an effective player if the crap weren't tolerated.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:18 pm

pens2005 wrote:

They keep Fleury and Bylsma around, yet you think they're going to deal Neal? A guy that has proven chemistry with one of your star players?

If they trade Neal before they fire Bylsma, something is wrong.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
offsides wrote:

Whether Fleury melts down or not may be irrelevant. Can anyone look at this time and say that they're a cup contender, with or without great goaltending?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Tonight is an important game, not in terms of standings - but you can't follow a stinker with another so close to games that do matter. Tonight is a matter of pride. Plus, you have to assume we will get better goaltending because you can't really get worse.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Whether Fleury melts down or not may be irrelevant. Can anyone look at this time and say that they're a cup contender, with or without great goaltending?

This.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
offsides wrote:

I'd say we are definitely contenders. Second in the East and fourth in the league has to be considered a contender. Lots of teams have come out of nowhere to win the cup. Just have to be hot and play hard\intense hockey at the right time. Oh, and luck out, get a few breaks\calls\bounces and STAY HEALTHY.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Tonight is an important game, not in terms of standings - but you can't follow a stinker with another so close to games that do matter. Tonight is a matter of pride. Plus, you have to assume we will get better goaltending because you can't really get worse.

I honestly think none of these games matter to them. If there was any sense of pride they wouldn't keep it until the last minute.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:32 pm

DB said a few days ago, that they weren't necessarily looking to win the final 6 games; just execute well and continue in the right habits.

They failed on all cylinders last night.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:34 pm

tfrizz wrote:Whether Fleury melts down or not may be irrelevant. Can anyone look at this time and say that they're a cup contender, with or without great goaltending?

It's not a matter of whether they're a contender or not, it's a matter of degrees. The Penguins are not IMO a SERIOUS contender. The Pens are equal to just about every other team in the east outside of the Bruins.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Unless I am missing something, there is no way we had more than 4 fairly decent scoring chances. I know the Wild do a good job not giving them up but we made them look like the premier team in the NHL.

And nice job Stempy taking your goalie out on the goal there. Like it mattered anyway. Fell asleep again this game just like the Canes game. It was nice of the Pens to join me on my nap.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:58 pm

I didnt watch, but Bylsma sucks.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Inkio wrote:Maybe the pens are saving all of their energy for playoffs? Wishful thinking? Hah

Seriously, not far off. Pens fans would be wise to not take the next week too seriously, or they will be seriously disappointed.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Inkio wrote:Maybe the pens are saving all of their energy for playoffs? Wishful thinking? Hah

Seriously, not far off. Pens fans would be wise to not take the next week too seriously, or they will be seriously disappointed.

Likewise with the following week.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby profpolisci on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:10 pm

columbia wrote:DB said a few days ago, that they weren't necessarily looking to win the final 6 games; just execute well and continue in the right habits.

Don't much care for prophylactic excuse's.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:12 pm

offsides wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
offsides wrote:

I'd say we are definitely contenders. Second in the East and fourth in the league has to be considered a contender. Lots of teams have come out of nowhere to win the cup. Just have to be hot and play hard\intense hockey at the right time. Oh, and luck out, get a few breaks\calls\bounces and STAY HEALTHY.

They'll have to get healthy before they can stay healthy. Bylsma latest update on Malkin didn't sound too optimistic about Malkin before back for the start of the first round.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Likewise with the following week.

For the first time since 2011, when Evgeni & Sid were out the season, I am not excited about the play-offs.
This isn't about my expectations, it's about the results and the line up of players.
I hope the medical folks tell Kris Letang, practice, but not playing till next year.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins