Errey for new Head Coach

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Errey for new Head Coach

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 am

ABB
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am

NashvilleCat wrote:I'd like to see what Barry Trotz would do with a team with this kind of talent.

I agree. He could be let go this year.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

Let's make it happen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 am

murphydump55 wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:I'd like to see what Barry Trotz would do with a team with this kind of talent.

Yeah, I'm thinking it may be time for Trotz to move along.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Headshot77 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
RJW76 wrote:I stirred pancake mix the other day. Or would that be mixed?

Is that you Stir Mix a Lot?

Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Nizzy wrote:I kind of like the idea of Tocchet with some good veteran assistance coaches. I would prefer a veteran head coach with a lot of experience, but I know those are rare. I just think we need a coach with attitude, no more buddy-buddy. No more practice cancelled. No more mustashe boy/playing hangman in practice.

So someone like Theirren, who lost this hockey team back in 2009?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I kind of like the idea of Tocchet with some good veteran assistance coaches. I would prefer a veteran head coach with a lot of experience, but I know those are rare. I just think we need a coach with attitude, no more buddy-buddy. No more practice cancelled. No more mustashe boy/playing hangman in practice.

Not to defend Nizzy, but "this team" is a LOT difference than the team from 2009.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Not to defend Nizzy, but "this team" is a LOT difference than the team from 2009.

At the top? I dont' think. You have stars now that have egos (which will happen with almost any star) that you have to balance with steering a tight responsible ship.

I think if you get a "no-nonsense" type of guy in here, you are going to lose guys like Geno, Neal and even to a lesser extent Sid.

I think you need a balance.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm

That doesn't seem to be a problem for Detroit.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I think they need a no nonsense kind of guy...just not one that wants 5 guys between the circles keeping shots away. Its still an offensive team. It just needs to shift the focus back to working instead of playing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:40 pm

columbia wrote:That doesn't seem to be a problem for Detroit.

Maybe because those guys don't have the egos some of our players have. They are also older and probably more mature. And they also haven't made it out of the second round of the playoffs since we beat them for the Cup.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 pm

You mean 7th place Detroit who have actually lost more games than they've won and are in the playoffs because of the loser point? Yeah. There's a model I want to follow
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:I love Bob but come on, as if the lunatics weren't running the asylum there enough.

"Practice is optional today, too many hangovers" :lol:

Hey, lmb. Playoffs are nigh. You ready to bring the breakfast with a side order of lunacy?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Froggy wrote:You mean 7th place Detroit who have actually lost more games than they've won and are in the playoffs because of the loser point? Yeah. There's a model I want to follow

Not that bad of a model. No real superstars and a ton of key injuries. Their top scorer only has 48. The team has 22 straight years in the playoffs (probably), just sayin.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:32 pm

offsides wrote:
Froggy wrote:You mean 7th place Detroit who have actually lost more games than they've won and are in the playoffs because of the loser point? Yeah. There's a model I want to follow

Not that bad of a model. No real superstars and a ton of key injuries. Their top scorer only has 48. The team has 22 straight years in the playoffs (probably), just sayin.

i'm sure the fans here would be thrilled with BARELY making the playoffs as a low seed. and that streak would have ended this year had the league not re-alligned
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

offsides wrote:

Pens have made it 18 of those 22 years and have 3 cups to the Wings 4. I think that is pretty damn good.

And speaking of key injuries, have you seen what the Pens have gone through over the last 4 years, especially this year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

Yes, which would be a silly thing for Nashville to do. It would be like firing your mechanic because you bought a car that won't start.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:39 am

newarenanow wrote:
offsides wrote:

Pens have made it 18 of those 22 years and have 3 cups to the Wings 4. I think that is pretty damn good.

And speaking of key injuries, have you seen what the Pens have gone through over the last 4 years, especially this year.

I was just pointing out that the model Detroit uses isn't awful. Not sure which model is better, but both are pretty successful.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 am

That's fine. I'm not saying they suck or anything. I'm just kind of confused as to why some people on this board romanticize their success and their coach. Particularly this year, where they will barely make the playoffs despite moving to a weaker conference, and getting a TON of points from overtime/shootout losses. Sure, they seem to have it together now, but they've been bad to mediocre for most of the year.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CrossIcePass on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 am

Factorial wrote:What's Keenan doing these days?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/20 ... n_khl.html
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:15 am

Agree with Froggy. Detroit has a very good system and coach, and players. Obviously their success reflects that. I just don't understand why their system is praised so much and the Pens are shot down and **** on when long term, both franchises have had similar success.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

offsides wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
offsides wrote:

I was just pointing out that the model Detroit uses isn't awful. Not sure which model is better, but both are pretty successful.

I'm not sure their model is that much different that ours. Different on ice system when Crosby and Malkin are in the lineup based upon their strengths, but remove them and I think Dan and Mike think the game pretty similarly. Detroit has had better scouting and drafting. Overall, I think the Pens strive to resemble the Wings organization's operations, and I think it's been very successful for both clubs.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:19 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

Second. Although as someone mentioned it would be insane for the Preds to fire Trotz, apparently they are thinking about it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I think its a great idea! If by Bob Errey, you really mean Peter Laviolette, Barry Trotz, Rick Tocchet or Jacques Martin, then yes by all means!
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Why does everyone want Rick Tocchet? What exactly has he done as a coach (besides not being named "Dan Bylsma")?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins