Jussi's Shootout Goal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jussi's Shootout Goal

Postby TwoSheds on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 pm

I don't profess having seen an extremely large number of shootouts, but I have never seen anyone take as wide of a route as Jussi did last night.
The result: a very long 'target time' in front of the goal, rather than heading straight at a goalie with a short window of time to shoot. Jossi just waited for the goalie to commit and flipped it over him.
Could this be THE revolutionary technique to score during a shootout/penalty shot??
If so, this may lead to the league limiting the shooter to stay within a bounded area when approahing the goalie.

Thoughts??
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Jussi's Shootout Goal

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Guys do this all the time. Jussi in particular used to do that and drop a one-handed backhander as he crossed the goalie, back when he was with Dallas.

It's not really anything to write home about. Jamie Benn is another contemporary example. There's no reason for the league to.limit it. It's a viable strategy and there's nothing illegal to it.

James Neal did it against Brodeur 2 or 3 years ago, come to think of it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Not the same, but this is what I do in NHL14. It's probably 80% effective.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Varlamov looked really bad on that goal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RJW76 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Patrik Elias does that on the reg
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Varlamov sold out on the poke and missed. If he stayed on his feet Juicy would've had a much more difficult shot.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Real Deal Jimmy Neal on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 pm

The Av who shot before him swung out almost to the boards as well.
Real Deal Jimmy Neal

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:36 pm

I think this is "one" of slappy's favorite "moves" or "gambits"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Not exactly on topic but I can't think of anyone I'd want in net during a shootout than Fleury. Guy is absolutely amazing at them.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:52 pm

I used to play beer leagues with a guy that used that move alot. He was that guy who's faster & better than everyone else and should probably be playing at a higher level.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Varlamov sold out on the poke and missed. If he stayed on his feet Juicy would've had a much more difficult shot.

Ad that's something you can't afford to do against the best shootout goalie in the league.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Varlamov sold out on the poke and missed. If he stayed on his feet Juicy would've had a much more difficult shot.

He didn't sell out on the poke check. He didn't even poke at all. His stick movement is from the force of the load and push to get all the way across. The best way to defend a breakaway from an angle like this is to stay a little bit deeper in the net so when the skater does cut across the top of the crease, you don't have as great of a distance to cover. Jussi gave Varlamov an opportunity to hit him with a poke on the last backhand deke before he turns it over and cuts across - Varly didn't even twitch.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:48 pm

He should patent it and call it the "Jussi-Roll".
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 pm

meow wrote:

He didn't sell out on the poke check. He didn't even poke at all. His stick movement is from the force of the load and push to get all the way across. The best way to defend a breakaway from an angle like this is to stay a little bit deeper in the net so when the skater does cut across the top of the crease, you don't have as great of a distance to cover. Jussi gave Varlamov an opportunity to hit him with a poke on the last backhand deke before he turns it over and cuts across - Varly didn't even twitch.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... highlights

It looks like a poke. Varlamov is a better goalie than all of us (I think...unless someone on here starts in the NHL), and I agree that the best way to defend this type of shootout attempt is to stay in the back of the paint, so why else was he at the top of the crease? He either crapped his pants or sold out on the poke check.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dan H on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:I used to play beer leagues with a guy that used that move alot. He was that guy who's faster & better than everyone else and should probably be playing at a higher level.

It's my go-to move in beer league, too, and I'm a lousy player.

The conventional wisdom is that it's better to come straight in at the goalie, because that way the goalie doesn't know if you're going to shoot/deke to his left or right, whereas if you come in wide, he hugs the near post and knows you have to go to the other side. Lots of hockey people will tell you that, and there's some truth to it.

That argument doesn't account for two things, though. First, the shooter now knows what the goalie needs to do: hug the near post and move across. Second, the shooter doesn't actually have to put the puck to the far post side. When the goalie moves, the five hole and near post side both open up. The shooter might be able to move the puck back with the Forsberg move or a spin-o-rama. So the shooter's options are different than if he came straight in, but it's not as unbalanced as many people make it sound.

I don't think it will be the next big thing at the NHL level, though. For example, Sidney Crosby usually shoots on breakaways/shootouts, rather than dekes around the goalie. He has great success with that. If he comes from way wide, he cuts down his shooting angle. So he usually comes more or less straight in. For players with lousy shots compared to the goalies at their level, though, moving wide can be a good part of their arsenal of moves.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 am

Let's hope we see a few successful "Jussi-rolls" come the playoffs on some penalty shots. And should he make such a shot, we all have to do a shot!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Even when the goalie pokechecks it it STILL goes in.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm

One of the ducks does it frequently. Perry maybe.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Even when the goalie pokechecks it it STILL goes in.

Could you believe that?!?!? That was crazy. I almost felt bad for "The Monster" . Almost
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TwoSheds on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 am

BUMP.

Ha-Ha!!!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:50 am

Mango Salsa wrote:I used to play beer leagues with a guy that used that move alot. He was that guy who's faster & better than everyone else and should probably be playing at a higher level.

I hate those guys, i love playing defense but am a weak skater, vs regular talent i can hold my own at times. Those guys just walk around me and celebrate aftert they score like they beat Ray Borque or Chris Pronger. That guy looks like he is having the time of his life skating circles around the other team. Then i am forced to move back to forward so he doesn't do that to me all night.

Hey if anyone is in a bad league and needs a player let me know i would love to play in a bad league so i can learn to play defense better.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CrossIcePass on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:05 pm

some times you just need a lucky bounce.
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins