Playoff Tickets Used to Sellout in Less than 5 minutes

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Playoff Tickets Used to Sellout in Less than 5 minutes

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 pm

6lemieux6 wrote:huhh, im planning a trip now from europe, who can say when PO-s start, can I get 2 games if im there from 16-20? would that be a good choice?

I think they should start Wednesday 4/16. So who knows exactly when the Pens first game will be, but I'd say your odds aren't bad. Especially if you have a late flight on Sunday.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:18 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:Free tickets are now available via Pens Points. I'll keep beating the dead horse. They've out priced the fan base.

Between 2007 and 2012, people were fanatical about this team.

First round playoff tickets were still easily available starting 2010. It was for a different reason than now, but the effect was the same.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beLIEve on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Take this for what its worth, because they're claiming that any dates on there now are placeholders and are subject to change, but for season ticket holders who are able to list their tickets on the ticket exchange, they have the following dates listed for round 1:

Home Game 1 (Game 1): Thursday April 17th 2014
Home Game 2 (Game 2): Friday April 18th 2014
Home Game 3 (Game 5): Thursday April 24th 2014
Home Game 4 (Game 7): Sunday April 27th 2014

I imagine the things that are subject to change are stuff like:
1. Whether or not NBC/CBC wants the game
2. Arena availability for the games between those dates at the opposing teams arena.
etc
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Fans are growing perhaps tired of all the injuries, excuses, playoff failures, and high prices. Only an appearance in the finals or a championship would completely rectify this, in my opinion.

If that is the only thing that keeps people interested, then this isn't really a great hockey town.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Bylsma is still the coach.

Cosign.

Cotangent.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 pm

newarenanow wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Fans are growing perhaps tired of all the injuries, excuses, playoff failures, and high prices. Only an appearance in the finals or a championship would completely rectify this, in my opinion.

If that is the only thing that keeps people interested, then this isn't really a great hockey town.

Personally, I cant remember the last time that I missed watching a game live. I also havent attended a game in Pittsburgh in about 3 years. The prices have driven me away. I'd rather catch 5 Pirates games over 1 Pens playoff game.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:44 pm

I think it's a combination of price and fans being "spoiled" by success. The Steelers are the same way. The crowd lacks intensity until the playoffs (and even then, can be relatively tepid compared to pre-2009 until the later rounds). I don't think this is any different than other cities and teams that have won titles.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:33 pm

slappybrown wrote:I think it's a combination of price and fans being "spoiled" by success. The Steelers are the same way. The crowd lacks intensity until the playoffs (and even then, can be relatively tepid compared to pre-2009 until the later rounds). I don't think this is any different than other cities and teams that have won titles.

Yep this sums it up.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 pm

slappybrown wrote:I think it's a combination of price and fans being "spoiled" by success. The Steelers are the same way. The crowd lacks intensity until the playoffs (and even then, can be relatively tepid compared to pre-2009 until the later rounds). I don't think this is any different than other cities and teams that have won titles.

Agree.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Wooooooo.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:58 pm

skullman80 wrote:100+$ to sit on nosebleeds. Not in the budget. They are gonna need student rush to sell out.

Yeah... I wouldn't really call that "bargain prices that even student rushers can afford."
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:06 pm

It's puzzling to me why they don't sell Sth packages to wait listers. Based on the 100s of tickets available in many different sections, they could have guaranteed themselves revenue. Instead of money in their pockets, they're giving them away and selling them for $35 to college students.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

PghSkins wrote:
skullman80 wrote:100+$ to sit on nosebleeds. Not in the budget. They are gonna need student rush to sell out.

Yeah... I wouldn't really call that "bargain prices that even student rushers can afford."

Well student rushers wont be paying 100$, they will pay 30 or 35$ or however much they charge for student rushers to get in the building for the playoffs.

I got no ill will towards student rush, I used it a ton when I was young, back when it was 16$ and you could get more than one ticket per ID, then it went to 20$.. and so on. It turned me into a season ticket holder when I got out of college until tickets just became too much for me to afford(again not complaining, its the price of a winning team).
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

C4 Row E wrote:It's puzzling to me why they don't sell Sth packages to wait listers. Based on the 100s of tickets available in many different sections, they could have guaranteed themselves revenue. Instead of money in their pockets, they're giving them away and selling them for $35 to college students.

The standard response to that is that they're growing the brand by hooking college kids on the Pens experience and taking their money as STHs once they get their first good job. That's how a lot of us got into STH, though I was already a Pens fan years before attending games. It's smart marketing even if it has opposition from the small group of people that think about it too hard.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 pm

They gave us a half-season plan last year, but we're still on the waiting list.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 pm

As a STHWL'er we were offered playoff ticket packages on the 2nd, before the public but without a discount. Which is good treatment, imo.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:34 pm

dodint wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:It's puzzling to me why they don't sell Sth packages to wait listers. Based on the 100s of tickets available in many different sections, they could have guaranteed themselves revenue. Instead of money in their pockets, they're giving them away and selling them for $35 to college students.

The standard response to that is that they're growing the brand by hooking college kids on the Pens experience and taking their money as STHs once they get their first good job. That's how a lot of us got into STH, though I was already a Pens fan years before attending games. It's smart marketing even if it has opposition from the small group of people that think about it too hard.

Meh, most season holders like myself love the program and understand it and why.

What We do not like is the extent of the program. They promote it as a marketing idea but alot of people feel its over used to sellout games while prices are getting out of hand.

Whethe we are right or wrong doesn't mean we disagree with the premise of it. We don't.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm

dodint wrote:As a STHWL'er we were offered playoff ticket packages on the 2nd, before the public but without a discount. Which is good treatment, imo.

It's good treatment but what you need to understand in relation to this thread is three years ago they never would let me buy an additional seat, let alone let wait listers buy packages.

That proves that demand is way down and they need to sell packages.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Holding backtickets makes no sense to me. Sacrificing defi ite revenue both now and moving forward for potential revenue later...the future customerbase is your waiting list. The student rush people are people with a possibility of becoming part of your waiting list. I really dont understand why you would treat people who have demonstrated willingness to become ongoing customers this way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Yeah, I think the sellout streak is a sham and I do hate that aspect of it. But I'm a WL'er that could potentially benefit from that streak being broken so I'm bias'd on that one.

If I had tickets, I'd likely not care about student rush at all unless I got the tickets to turn a profit. What I meant by the 'thinking about it too hard' comment was the vast majority of Pens fans and most STHs won't look as deep into the concept as those on LGP. It wasn't meant to be a criticism.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
dodint wrote:As a STHWL'er we were offered playoff ticket packages on the 2nd, before the public but without a discount. Which is good treatment, imo.

It's good treatment but what you need to understand in relation to this thread is three years ago they never would let me buy an additional seat, let alone let wait listers buy packages.

That proves that demand is way down and they need to sell packages.

Oh, sure. They didn't send me a single thing for months until the Coyotes game where they almost didn't sell out. I understand the game, but I think it was a nice gesture to be offered the tickets before the public sale.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

dodint wrote:Yeah, I think the sellout streak is a sham and I do hate that aspect of it. But I'm a WL'er that could potentially benefit from that streak being broken so I'm bias'd on that one.

If I had tickets, I'd likely not care about student rush at all unless I got the tickets to turn a profit. What I meant by the 'thinking about it too hard' comment was the vast majority of Pens fans and most STHs won't look as deep into the concept as those on LGP. It wasn't meant to be a criticism.

I get it. And if I was on the wait list I would like the opportunity as well. All valid points.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:57 pm

I guess the Pens need to miss the playoffs and swirl the drain for 5 years.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:59 pm

So it's a fire DB thread now?
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 pm

dodint wrote:So it's a fire DB thread now?

Why waste cheap real estate.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins