Go With 7 Defensemen

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 am

Now that Letang and Martin are back, it makes sense to go with 7 defensemen. Especially considering Scuderi's age and recent ineffectiveness, and the fact that Engelland and Bortuzzo are grittier than any of the forwards in the bottom 6. I'm not suggesting playing Bortuzzo at wing; perhaps Engo there occasionally, but going with 7 adds some much needed grit and allows the coaches to cut down on the minutes of the other defensemen. Thoughts?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:14 am

Good and bad...
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,044
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 am

Great post. Congrats to Letang and his family and the team. Maybe the tide will turn and they will get healthy at the right time. Definitely agree with 7 D, especially for these last three games. A smart way to "rest" certain guys would be to keep the minutes down in the final regular season tilts. Nobody should be playing over 20 minutes in these games.

Martin/Orpik
Niskanen/Maatta
Despres/Letang
Bortz or Engo.

Time to do the right thing and bench Scuderi.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,014
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 am

It just makes no sense to have guys like Bortuzzo and Engelland, even Despres in the press box when rookie midgets like Gibbons and Megna skate around in circles. Pyatt adds some size, and may do well in the playoffs as he'll be able to grapple along the boards without getting called for a penalty...but still I'd rather see them go with 7 D. Bortuzzo and Engo have played well this season and deserve a shot.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby bwyant32 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:21 am

I like Engo because he can play both.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby no name on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 am

bwyant32 wrote:I like Engo because he can play both.


If your at all worried about his ice time you have to dress Engelland. You will be covered on both ends if you feel you need to limit Tangers ice time plug in Engo , if you put out your 4th line put Engo out there with them.

Ba-da-boom Ba-da-Bing
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,984
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 am

engelland should be playing forward right now for a lot of reasons.

...or if he's still too unknown, he should have been playing forward for the last several months so he could get used to it
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,537
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 am

shmenguin wrote:engelland should be playing forward right now for a lot of reasons.

...or if he's still too unknown, he should have been playing forward for the last several months so he could get used to it


Nah, don't want to hurt his feelings.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,463
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 am

shmenguin wrote:engelland should be playing forward right now for a lot of reasons.

...or if he's still too unknown, he should have been playing forward for the last several months so he could get used to it


:thumb: :thumb:
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby sil on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 am

columbia wrote:
shmenguin wrote:engelland should be playing forward right now for a lot of reasons.

...or if he's still too unknown, he should have been playing forward for the last several months so he could get used to it


Nah, don't want to hurt his feelings.


DB: "But Iginla...YOU PLAY LEFT SIDE!"
JI: "But coach, I'm better on the rig...."
DB: "YOU PLAY LEFT!!!!"
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am

First off, I'm very happy for Tanger on a personal level that he has recovered physically and mentally in order to return to the ice.

I'm not worried about his conditioning. He has been at full practice over 3 weeks, and when healthy was capable of playing huge minutes. He should not have a conditioning problem playing 20 a night.

I am worried about the mental side of his game. If he is playing timid or is unsure of himself, that fraction of a second of hesitation is all it takes to miss a defensive play. He never was a cerebral player, and I'm worried this will only compound the problem.

We talk about the quality of our coaches a lot, but this is a big test for them. If they can get him to play responsible, defense first hockey and pick his spots to use that talent of his, Kris will be a huge boost to our team. If he goes run and gun, any semblance of team defense is going to fall apart, and quickly.

Get your popcorn ready.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby sil on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 pm

What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:45 pm

sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


That's kind of what was happening when he was with Despres. He was forced to play a better two way game and we looked better in his own end.

Should play Engellend if for only because if someone gets hurt an already tired and banged up defense won't have to play a man down.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,561
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


he was playing very cautiously this year, especially early on. which is why his offensive production plummeted. i don't think we want cautious. i think we want, "situationally aware".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,537
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby sil on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:15 pm

shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


he was playing very cautiously this year, especially early on. which is why his offensive production plummeted. i don't think we want cautious. i think we want, "situationally aware".


I don't know if I'd say it plummeted. He might not be near a point per game as he has been the last few years...but the guy is still has over half a point per game average this season...and he's played in all of 34 games.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby sharpshootr55 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:It just makes no sense to have guys like Bortuzzo and Engelland, even Despres in the press box when rookie midgets like Gibbons and Megna skate around in circles. Pyatt adds some size, and may do well in the playoffs as he'll be able to grapple along the boards without getting called for a penalty...but still I'd rather see them go with 7 D. Bortuzzo and Engo have played well this season and deserve a shot.


Megna is 6'1"...
sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,988
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 pm

sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


he was playing very cautiously this year, especially early on. which is why his offensive production plummeted. i don't think we want cautious. i think we want, "situationally aware".


I don't know if I'd say it plummeted. He might not be near a point per game as he has been the last few years...but the guy is still has over half a point per game average this season...and he's played in all of 34 games.



erm...38 points in 35 games last year...18 points in 34 games this year.

i'll stick with "plummeted"
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,537
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm

"Size" is extremely overrated. You can have size, but if you can't use it properly, it means nothing (see Tangradi, Eric)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,896
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:33 pm

MRandall25 wrote:"Size" is extremely overrated. You can have size, but if you can't use it properly, it means nothing (see Tangradi, Eric)


Pyatt, Taylor
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,470
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby meow on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


he was playing very cautiously this year, especially early on. which is why his offensive production plummeted. i don't think we want cautious. i think we want, "situationally aware".


I don't know if I'd say it plummeted. He might not be near a point per game as he has been the last few years...but the guy is still has over half a point per game average this season...and he's played in all of 34 games.



erm...38 points in 35 games last year...18 points in 34 games this year.

i'll stick with "plummeted"

He's tied his career high in goals, though.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,233
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
sil wrote:What if all this (what he's been through) turns him into a better, more cautious, and more dependable player? What if this actually gets his head to stay in the game and not wander through flowery fields at times?


he was playing very cautiously this year, especially early on. which is why his offensive production plummeted. i don't think we want cautious. i think we want, "situationally aware".


I don't know if I'd say it plummeted. He might not be near a point per game as he has been the last few years...but the guy is still has over half a point per game average this season...and he's played in all of 34 games.



erm...38 points in 35 games last year...18 points in 34 games this year.

i'll stick with "plummeted"

He's tied his career high in goals, though.


he's been scoring well on the PP. he has 4 goals and 3 assists at even strength in 34 games. he's not roaming, so he's not scoring.

we want him to roam. he's not worth anything close to his contract otherwise. he just needs to learn when to dial it back in certain situations.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,537
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:06 pm

sharpshootr55 wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:It just makes no sense to have guys like Bortuzzo and Engelland, even Despres in the press box when rookie midgets like Gibbons and Megna skate around in circles. Pyatt adds some size, and may do well in the playoffs as he'll be able to grapple along the boards without getting called for a penalty...but still I'd rather see them go with 7 D. Bortuzzo and Engo have played well this season and deserve a shot.


Megna is 6'1"...


He may be listed at 6'1" but man does he play smaller than that. Give me Tanner Glass over him in a playoff game every time.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 am

Pyatt and Adams took ANOTHER minus last night, they are now both -15.

Get these guys off the ice!!! Go with 7 D.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 am

Not to mention Adams yet again failed to clear the zone on the PK with as much as 2-3 seconds of his stick touching the rubber. The guy is garbage and is no longer reliable. Not even for the salary he makes. He's a liability and is going to cost us.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Go With 7 Defensemen

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:56 am

Adams game played streak has not helped this team.
It would have been nice to kill two birds with one stone given the injuries we've had.
Dress engo to play 4th line wing, and despres to get ice time.

We'd be going into the playoffs better off.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,541
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jcgopens, KG, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, shootinthepuck, Sms75 and 15 guests

e-mail