Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you rather play?

Philadelphia
14%
Columbus
72%
Detroit
14%

Total votes : 71

Re: Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 am

indian wrote:If we are trying to win, how does it matter. You need to beat the best. Bring it on!

It matters because as good as a team is there are always teams that match up better against them despite the standings. Every top team probably has about two teams that are their Achilles heal.

Philly is that Achilles Heal for the Pens. The Flyers have quietly put together a very solid season but are still largely inconsistent and just not as good as the Pens, but they know how to get under the skin of our guys and that levels the playing field.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

-i think we lose to detroit in 09 if we had to slug it out with boston in the conference finals instead of the carolina cake walk
-i think we get to the SCF in 2012 if we didn't have to play philly
-i think we get to the SCF last year if toronto would have just held a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period (and do you think beating NYI, Ottawa and Toronto on your way to the SCF is "beating the best"? didn't think so)

aside from detroit in 08, i think every cup winner in the modern era needed a decent amount of luck to go all the way.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 am

It's nice to say that you should be able to win no matter who you play, but sometimes the luck of the draw is everything.

The year the Pens won the cup, Carolina eliminated both NJ and BOS, teams that would have been more difficult to play than the ones they ultimately got. Think the Pens would have swept Boston that year? Doubt it. They may still have won, but it would have been a longer and much more physical series.

iirc, had either of the conference finals gone a game longer, the start of the finals was going to be delayed for another week, meaning that Datsyuk may have been back for the entire series, which may well have had an impact too.

The Pens getting to play Columbus in the first round while the Rangers and Flyers beat each other up would be the best we could hope for... think of NJ's last run to the finals where they got to play FLA and then the winner of the Pens-Flyers series. Then hope that whoever wins between MTL and TB is able to knock off Boston and maybe they make a run.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 am

shmenguin and the wicked child couldn't have it better
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 am

CBJ should not be taken likely. I think many people on here underestimate them.

That being said, if the Pens play like they care that series should end if four or five games.

Philly and Detroit? You're looking at likely a six or seven game series which makes the Penguins more worn down for the next one.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 am

I don't think CBJ is a walk, but they're the lesser of these three evils. Building on what you said, given the Pens are made of glass this year the greatest chance of the fewest games played is always best and I think CBJ offers that by default.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:28 am

The more I think about it, the more I want the Pens to face the Wings. They will be a big test early and won't bang the Pens up early. I would like a little adversity in the first round, just not Philly adversity. They would be my least favored pick.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:30 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Boston is 1-3 against Detroit this season. I want Det vs. Bos in the 1st round, with that being said I would rather play Columbus over Philly.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want the Pens to face the Wings. They will be a big test early and won't bang the Pens up early. I would like a little adversity in the first round, just not Philly adversity. They would be my least favored pick.

I agree, we would learn so much playing a series vs Detroit. If we managed to win that series, the dividens we learned from that series would help us in a series vs Philly or Boston.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Boston is 1-3 against Detroit this season. I want Det vs. Bos in the 1st round, with that being said I would rather play Columbus over Philly.

This. Bring on Columbus. Detroit has been solid against Boston. NRY has been solid against Philly.
SubtropicalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The U on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:59 pm

The "Detroit will be the test we need to go on a long run" narrative is misguided.

The only team the Pens will really be a big underdog against is the Bruins. If you want the Pens to win the East, you need to find a way for Boston to lose in Round 1 or 2. The most likely scenario is for Detroit to finish 8th and for them to take out Boston in Round 1.

I don't see how somebody could want to face Detroit in Round 1 while Boston gets to breeze past CBJ because it would "put us in the right mindset."

Our ideal path would be CBJ then Rangers then Detroit.

We could lose to any team at any time, but if you could set up an ideal situation, this would be it. I find it hard to believe that somebody would root for a Detroit-Philly-Bruins path to the Cup Finals.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:21 pm

The U wrote:The "Detroit will be the test we need to go on a long run" narrative is misguided.

The only team the Pens will really be a big underdog against is the Bruins. If you want the Pens to win the East, you need to find a way for Boston to lose in Round 1 or 2. The most likely scenario is for Detroit to finish 8th and for them to take out Boston in Round 1.

I don't see how somebody could want to face Detroit in Round 1 while Boston gets to breeze past CBJ because it would "put us in the right mindset."

Our ideal path would be CBJ then Rangers then Detroit.

We could lose to any team at any time, but if you could set up an ideal situation, this would be it. I find it hard to believe that somebody would root for a Detroit-Philly-Bruins path to the Cup Finals.

isn't CBJ->NYR->Tampa possible? that's clearly the best scenario.

if a team needs some sort of acclimation round in the playoffs, then they stink. it doesn't do anyone any good to bring the higher competition sooner. it's not like they can half ass it against detroit, but still win the series - and then come out the other side as an improved team. if you use detroit as practice, you'll lose to detroit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Playing the "easiest" competition in round one (Columbus) is vitally important because it gives Malkin and Goc a chance to get back in the lineup (I have a hard time fathoming either one being back for the first round). Malkin improves the second line and power play leaps and bounds and Goc gives them a legitimate player on the fourth line that can win faceoffs. I know some people think faceoffs are overrated, but as we saw last night, losing a key defensive zone draw late in the game can prove costly.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 pm

GDR wrote:I know some people think faceoffs are overrated, but as we saw last night, losing a key defensive zone draw late in the game can prove costly.

faceoffs aren't overrated. an individual's faceoff % is overrated. as shown by the incident you're alluding to.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Columbus is the easy way out. For better or worse, I want the Flyers. You beat them in the 1st round, they gain some confidence and momentum.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:51 am

Updated %'s with all possible match ups:

Pens/Wings (48.1%) Pens/CBJ (32.1%) Pens/Cryers (19.9%)
BOS/Wings(51.9%) BOS/CBJ (26.3%) BOS/Cryers (21.8%)
MTL/TB (100%)
Cryers/NYR (58.3%)
NYR/CBJ (41.7%)
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 am

Bylsma has to be hoping for the Wings so when we lose he can say Detroit is always an elite team and he won't be fired. Right?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

Kind of funny the way the odds work out right now. Boston's most likely first round match-up is against Detroit... and Pittsburgh's most likely first round match-up is against Detroit.

I'm still pulling for a CBJ series.
SubtropicalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:Kind of funny the way the odds work out right now. Boston's most likely first round match-up is against Detroit... and Pittsburgh's most likely first round match-up is against Detroit.

i hear detroit is crying for another division re-alignment so they won't have to deal with these mathematical anomalies anymore.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:38 am

So, right now there's a 3-way tie for the two wildcard slots/final Metro division slot among Philly, Columbus, and Detroit. Seeing as I want no part of the Flyers in Round 1 for obvious reasons, does it behoove the Pens to "tank" tomorrow to help Philly finish 3rd in the Metro? For instance, do you play Zatkoff? Do you maybe rest Sid, Kunitz, and Orpik like they did last weekend? I'm torn on this.

Here are the most likely scenarios outside the Pens/Philly game:

Columbus beats FLA, loses to TB (2 pts).
Detroit beats CAR, loses to STL (2 pts).
Philly beats CAR (2 pts)

That leaves them all tied. The order would be Flyers-Jackets-Wings. Pens play Jackets. Good scenario. But if Philly gets the 2 additional points tomorrow, they're guaranteed to finish third in the Metro. That's even better. And then who the Pens play is out of their hands.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 am

Mad City Mike wrote:Seeing as I want no part of the Flyers in Round 1 for obvious reasons, does it behoove the Pens to "tank" tomorrow to help Philly finish 3rd in the Metro?

No. However, the amount of panties in a twist in Philadelphia on Sunday might make it worth it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 am

More reason to want to play Columbus: Nathan Horton had abdominal surgery, out 6 weeks.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:19 pm

As a counter point to the pens tanking idea...what if we have a tie game tomorrow with 00:30 left in the 3rd, and the Flyers put one in their own net? ;^)
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:43 pm

I waited to respond to this thread until it got close to the end of the season. I picked Detroit. The last thing I want for this team is an easy 1st round. We need to see what this team is made of and CBJ won't do that.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:47 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote: We need to see what this team is made of and CBJ won't do that.

too bad, if they beat CBJ, they won't have an opportunity to see what they're made of then
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins