outside view of the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: outside view of the Pens

Postby indian on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Blue Jackets are playing outstanding hockey right now. They have been competitive in every game they have played in recent past..
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Not really. Their record since the Olympics isn't much better than the Pens'.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Columbus was in most of the games this season, but still ultimately lost all of them. IMO, they don't have the personnel to score with the Penguins if they play wide open, they don't have the horses to shut down both Crosby and Malkin (assuming he is back) and force Gladams to try to beat them, and they aren't some big tough team that is going to push the Penguins around. They also have pretty much zero playoff experience, save for getting steamrolled by Detroit in 08.

Sure, they can beat the Penguins if floppy Fleury shows up, Pens try to play like '12, etc, but overall I think the Jackets are by far the best matchup the Pens could ask for.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 pm

I am convinced more and more, the orpik and Scuderi are not washed up or on the verg of retirement. THese guys are just not the type if defencmen to play in this system. A system that allows one defenceman to run up and down the ice and join the play and the other D to wait back for all the 2 on 1s to come to them.

If Orpik and Scuds played on St. Loius, NJ or Los Anglas they would be still be looked at as very servicable defnecemen. Yes both has lost a step, but not so much thay they can't play a successful roll in this league.

You got 2 choices as i see it. 1. Remove Dan as coach impliment a more defensive system that doesn't leave these guys high and dry and you will see much better play from them. 2. keep Dan let him play this wide open system and bring in faster defneisve D men to can handle chasing down these 2 on 1s all night.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Great post no name. That's what irked me the most about the Scuderi signing, because he makes no sense with the system they play. It reminded me of when the Pens used to bring in guys like Lyle Odelein and Craig Muni (immobile veterans who were primarily shot blockers) and then run a high octane offense and expect them to keep up. Someone in the organization doesn't get it. You can't squeeze blood from a rock, nor can you fit a square peg into a round hole.

Iginla to left wing...scratching Despres in favor of fill-in-the-blank...scratching one of the league's best bottom 6 faceoff guys (Vitale) in favor of Adams (who stinks on draws)...who is making these decisions?? Bylsma, you would think, but someone above him is obviously endorsing this stuff...
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins