the wild card position... Poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

which 2 will claim the wild card postions, you get 2 votes.

Toronto
10%
Detroit
37%
Columbus
35%
Washington
14%
Other
3%

Total votes : 155

Re: the wild card position... Poll

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Would love for the Flyers to slip to the last wild card spot and square off against Boston in Rd 1...

Flyers GP 80 / 91 Pts / 38 ROW
Jackets GP 80 / 91 Pts / 36 ROW
Wings GP 80 / 91 Pts / 33 ROW

Remaining schedules:

Flyers- @Pit, Car
Jackets- @TB, @Fla
Wings- Car, @StL

While I'd like to see the Flyers and Bruins in round 1, that would mean the Pens would get Detroit and Rangers would get Columbus. I think I'd rather see Pens/Columbus and Bruins/Detroit and Rangers/Flyers. The Rangers seem to play well against the Flyers and I think there would be less of a chance for a meltdown against Columbus and the Rangers in round 2 than facing Detroit and Philly. Boston may not make it to ECF if they have to face Detroit and Montreal.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Please, oh god, anyone but the Flyers. I can't go through that again.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 am

I can handle a series vs the Flyers its a series vs Detroit that would be hard to watch. That Babcock hockey is fustrating just to watch.

I am just happy to see Colombus qualitify for the postseason that franchise deserves it.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I can't handle a series against anyone. We should've just missed the playoffs.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 pm

wondermoose wrote:Please, oh god, anyone but the Flyers. I can't go through that again.

OTOH, we will get our money's worth.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GJ on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:35 pm

:roll:
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:38 pm

that's actually very impressive

...though 3 or 4 of those teams should have been excluded since they've existed in different variations for longer than 23 years
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:03 pm

no name wrote:I can handle a series vs the Flyers its a series vs Detroit that would be hard to watch. That Babcock hockey is fustrating just to watch.

I am just happy to see Colombus qualitify for the postseason that franchise deserves it.

Agreed. Living in this area it's a Pens/Caps match up that makes me stressed. Don't have to worry about that this year though :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Flyers GP 80 / 91 Pts / 38 ROW
Jackets GP 81 / 91 Pts / 37 ROW
Wings GP 81 / 91 Pts / 33 ROW

Remaining schedules:

Flyers- @Pit, Car
Jackets- @Fla
Wings- @StL

Updated...
Last edited by Steve Dave on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dodint on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Hopefully STL uses DET as a warm up to get their game back together. Looks like they're on their way to losing their 5th in a row.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby beLIEve on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:40 am

A regulation or overtime win for the Flyers in their final 2 games will clinch 3rd for them in the division, and thus they won't have to play the pens in round 1.

Should the pens tank against Philly today to ensure they don't have to play them?
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penscup on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 pm

beLIEve wrote:A regulation or overtime win for the Flyers in their final 2 games will clinch 3rd for them in the division, and thus they won't have to play the pens in round 1.

Should the pens tank against Philly today to ensure they don't have to play them?

Yes. Anything to increase the odds of facing Columbus in Round 1 is a no-brainer. They have earned the right to rest whoever needs it and manipulate the standings however they choose.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:52 pm

If any sports team is afraid to play another team then that team will not win the championship.

There's a difference if fans don't want to play the Flyers and of the team doesn't. If the team doesn't, we won't have a chance.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby penscup on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:12 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:If any sports team is afraid to play another team then that team will not win the championship.

There's a difference if fans don't want to play the Flyers and of the team doesn't. If the team doesn't, we won't have a chance.

Who said anything about them being afraid?

If you don't understand the importance of facing a team like Columbus in round 1 instead of a team like Boston or Philly in round 1 when you have both Malkin & Letang just returning from extended injuries and attempting to get back into playoff shape then there isn't really much else to say.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:16 pm

No Kunitz or Orpik today...let the tanking begin :)
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:38 pm

penscup wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:If any sports team is afraid to play another team then that team will not win the championship.

If you don't understand the importance of facing a team like Columbus in round 1 instead of a team like Boston or Philly in round 1 when you have both Malkin & Letang just returning from extended injuries and attempting to get back into playoff shape then there isn't really much else to say.

What does Boston have to do with this? As you know, we can't play them until ECF, so I assume you're comparing them quality wise to Philly, which: no. Nor should we be "tanking", unless by that you mean resting, which id be fine with.

We're a better team than PHI, and though we won't face them in round 1, if we did, id be fine with it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penscup on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:57 pm

slappybrown wrote:
penscup wrote:

What does Boston have to do with this? As you know, we can't play them until ECF, so I assume you're comparing them quality wise to Philly, which: no. Nor should we be "tanking", unless by that you mean resting, which id be fine with.

We're a better team than PHI, and though we won't face them in round 1, if we did, id be fine with it.

Boston/Chicago/St.Louis...whichever. Those are more extreme examples even if not possible. Given a choice to play one of them or Columbus in round 1 you would choose Columbus every time. Given a choice to play Philly/Detroit or Columbus and the choice is again Columbus even though the gap is much smaller, the odds are still better, especially with guys just coming back from injury.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Columbus and Philly are comparable teams as evidenced by the fact they nearly identical records over 81 games. I hear what you're saying, but I don't think PHI is that good nor do I think that what's happened in the regular season is going to happen again should we play them. Steve Mason in a 7 game series? Lets do it (though I'm sure PHI fans would say the same about MAF).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penscup on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Not really sure why you're fine with facing Philly either...they have repeatedly shown recently they know how to capitalize on our team weaknesses and get under our skin mentally whether in the playoffs or regular season. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the series or the Pens wouldn't have a good chance to win, but I'd prefer the path to the Finals go thru Columbus-NY-Tampa rather than Philly-Det-Boston.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:19 pm

penscup wrote:Not really sure why you're fine with facing Philly either...they have repeatedly shown recently they know how to capitalize on our team weaknesses and get under our skin mentally whether in the playoffs or regular season. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the series or the Pens wouldn't have a good chance to win, but I'd prefer the path to the Finals go thru Columbus-NY-Tampa rather than Philly-Det-Boston.

Sure re this seasons history, but I just feel that come playoff time over a 7 game series our talent wins out over the other issues.

Aside from my belief were a better team who can and should handle Philly, I always want to play Philly.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beLIEve on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 pm

"Oops, I let that one in"
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:33 pm

It's official.

We're playing CBJ in round 1.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Something about getting a team we swept this year in a series gives me bad vibes.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Beveridge wrote:Something about getting a team we swept this year in a series gives me bad vibes.

It's just gas.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Of course it does. It's LGP, to expect enthusiasm/joy to last past even one reply is way too much to hope for. ;)
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins