Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:22 pm

skullman80 wrote: Black Flagg

Channelling your inner Stephen King?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:34 pm

I understand FFXIV was really cheap on the Steam sale. Anyone purchase? I am still loving the game. The crafting is so much fun.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:11 pm

skullman80 wrote:Two was easily the best in the series, it's not even close. Brotherhood was pretty good. Revelations was meh(the den defense was one of the worst things that ever happened to the series). III was meh. The most recent one, Black Flagg, was also really good.

I would agree with 100% of this, except I never played Brotherhood or Revelations. :lol:

But I've said before, AC2 was my favorite game of all-time for a while. Before Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us ruined gaming forever.

PensFanInDC wrote:I liked III the best so far. Black Flag is very good. Hell, I like em all...

I had some real problems with the way the story was resolved in AC3. Felt the final perhaps 3-4 hours of gameplay were just weird, the way things were paced and laid out. Sorta like Far Cry 3 in that regard.... really good, if not quite great, for like 85% of the game, and then the wheels fell off.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:35 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Two was easily the best in the series, it's not even close. Brotherhood was pretty good. Revelations was meh(the den defense was one of the worst things that ever happened to the series). III was meh. The most recent one, Black Flagg, was also really good.

I would agree with 100% of this, except I never played Brotherhood or Revelations. :lol:

But I've said before, AC2 was my favorite game of all-time for a while. Before Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us ruined gaming forever.

PensFanInDC wrote:I liked III the best so far. Black Flag is very good. Hell, I like em all...

I had some real problems with the way the story was resolved in AC3. Felt the final perhaps 3-4 hours of gameplay were just weird, the way things were paced and laid out. Sorta like Far Cry 3 in that regard.... really good, if not quite great, for like 85% of the game, and then the wheels fell off.

AC3 dropped the ball with Haytham towards the end. He should have been the main villain because he was the best character in the game, plus he had a way more interesting dynamic with the main character.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 pm

I hated that the first couple hours of III was basically an extended tutorial, and was just boring. i know how to play Assassins Creed... let me play and kill people dammit! Plus the ship stuff in III was awful. They improved it greatly in Black Flag.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 am

I enjoyed all of the Assasin's Creed games. I really enjoyed running around Rome in Brotherhood. The den defense was kind of meh, but I never had to play them except for the first one because I always took care of my territories so they never needed defending in that manor.

Also there is this:

Rome is the biggest city ever created after the first two installments (Rome is three times bigger than Florence from Assassin's Creed II[7])

I enjoyed running around Rome and fixing stuff instead of just fixing the town in AC2.

I also like AC3 (I enjoyed red dead redemption and it had a similar feel to that in parts). I love the history stuff so Rome and Revolutionary War were my favorite periods in that regard. I agree that they, what I will call "tried to hard" on the story and messed it up a bit...maybe trying to surprise you...but overall I enjoyed it an dmaybe would have changed 2 plot points to the main storyline.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 am

Pre-loading Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare on Origin. Kids are excited. My interest is piqued.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 am

Spangler wrote:AC3 dropped the ball with Haytham towards the end. He should have been the main villain because he was the best character in the game, plus he had a way more interesting dynamic with the main character.

I'll spoiler this just to be on the safe side....

Spoiler:
I don't know how you have a game where the main playing character's father is a villain, but you don't make the climactic battle be with him. Not only was he the most compelling character, you actually play as him at various points in the game! There's so much built-in heft in what a fight against that character means, story-wise, that having you kill him off and then run around for 2-3 more hours just completely guts the tension in the game's climax. Never mind that when you do kill the final bad guy (Lee), it is accomplished in a friggin' CUT SCENE that you get to after a level load. There is absolutely zero amount of satisfaction or payoff in that resolution. I was actually mad when I finished that game. Terrible design, both as a game and a story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 am

Paging Shyster..... have you ever heard of or played the game FTL? I don't know anything about it other than it's a spaceship simulator that's on the Steam Summer Sale right now for four bucks. Thought you might be interested.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 am

Played watch_dogs last night for the first time in a while...

Spoiler:
I just got to the point where I have to go and rescue Jacks after he ran away from the baby sitter to go look for his mom. It's starting to get a little redundant. Every single battle is just find cameras, draw guards toward explosives, blow up as many guards as possible, kill the rest with guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the story line so far, but the battles are just starting to get boring.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:48 am

I found with Watch_Dogs I broke up the redundancy by doing Criminal Convoy missions and Gang Hideouts between doing story missions, that kept things fresh for me.

I'm near the end of Act IV, think I only have 2 or 3 missions to go. Still have enjoyed the game quite a bit.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 am

ACIII

Spoiler:
The biggest disappointment for me was the ending. Desmond dying took all the wind out for me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 pm

the wicked child wrote:I've officially decided that the Monk is now my second favorite class in Diablo behind the Wizard. I'm @ level 53, halfway through Act 1/Hell. I'm using a similar scheme to the one Froggy posted, though I swapped out one of them for Seven Sided Strike, which I prefer. I think I have a slightly different button config as well.

Okay, so what am I doing wrong? I'm new to Diablo, and have been playing as a Monk on normal after briefly trying out all of the classes. I think I'm in the middle of Act 2...
Spoiler:
I'm in the sewers looking for Zoltun Kulle's blood
...but only a level 22. I have 1 legendary weapon (which I gave to a follower) and 1 piece of legendary armor. I'm not really having many problems with enemies at this point, but I feel like I'm missing a bunch. Should I be grinding more to level before moving on from an Act? I'm a bit confused.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:45 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Paging Shyster..... have you ever heard of or played the game FTL? I don't know anything about it other than it's a spaceship simulator that's on the Steam Summer Sale right now for four bucks. Thought you might be interested.

Very, very fun strategy game. Hard, but rewarding.

Well worth $4.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:10 pm

malkinshair wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I've officially decided that the Monk is now my second favorite class in Diablo behind the Wizard. I'm @ level 53, halfway through Act 1/Hell. I'm using a similar scheme to the one Froggy posted, though I swapped out one of them for Seven Sided Strike, which I prefer. I think I have a slightly different button config as well.

Okay, so what am I doing wrong? I'm new to Diablo, and have been playing as a Monk on normal after briefly trying out all of the classes. I think I'm in the middle of Act 2...
Spoiler:
I'm in the sewers looking for Zoltun Kulle's blood
...but only a level 22. I have 1 legendary weapon (which I gave to a follower) and 1 piece of legendary armor. I'm not really having many problems with enemies at this point, but I feel like I'm missing a bunch. Should I be grinding more to level before moving on from an Act? I'm a bit confused.

If you are playing on easy, no grinding should really be necessary... You'll hit the max level of 60 somewhere later in Hell mode. My monk is on 59 now at the start of Act 3 in Hell. It's worth noting that I've had a helmet socketed with a Flawless Square ruby for some time, so I've been gaining an extra 19% of experience. I also used that as an excuse to skip some of the extra caves that I don't care about.

But in general, do a full clear of every area and you will always be levelled enough for easy. Now gear may start becoming an issue in Hell and Inferno, but that is somewhat random... I've usually found better gear as I've needed it through normal play.

In regards to your current quest, the blood isn't in the sewers, that is just a pathway to the area where it can be found. I'm assuming you're in the Aqueducts? Beyond that you'll eventually reach the Desolate Sands. That and the areas beyond have generally been really good to me gear wise.

If you feel the need to level at all, the Keep Depths level 2 in Act 3 are bar none the best for that.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Also note that there are four modes: normal, nightmare, hell and inferno. You are in normal, so level 22 sounds about right for where you are. You effectively have to play through the game 4 times with the character, once in each mode to "finish".
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:40 pm

the wicked child wrote:Also note that there are four modes: normal, nightmare, hell and inferno. You are in normal, so level 22 sounds about right for where you are. You effectively have to play through the game 4 times with the character, once in each mode to "finish".

Thanks for the response...and this pretty much answers my question. I never considered not fully leveling up until a third or fourth playthrough. I felt like I was missing something, as the game hasn't been too challenging to this point. Not too easy, but not Demon's Souls either. It's good to know that it'll ramp up as I do.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 pm

It will get tougher, but as long as you do a fairly decent job of upgrading your gear as you go along, easy won't be too bad, even on Inferno. The big thing in Hell and Inferno is that some of the rare enemies have brutal combinations of effects, like mortar, vortex ans shielding or arcane enchanted.

Now if you change to one of the Master difficulty levels, you will start dying. :)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Paging Shyster..... have you ever heard of or played the game FTL? I don't know anything about it other than it's a spaceship simulator that's on the Steam Summer Sale right now for four bucks. Thought you might be interested.

Own it already, and it's one of the games I've actually played. Yahtzee at the Escapist did a review, and I agree with it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Spaceships

It can be both fun and frustrating, depending on how well your trip to the final sector goes. I must admit that even on the easy setting I've never managed to beat the final rebel flagship.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:37 pm

the wicked child wrote:It will get tougher, but as long as you do a fairly decent job of upgrading your gear as you go along, easy won't be too bad, even on Inferno. The big thing in Hell and Inferno is that some of the rare enemies have brutal combinations of effects, like mortar, vortex ans shielding or arcane enchanted.

Now if you change to one of the Master difficulty levels, you will start dying. :)

Yeah, I don't think the drops are effected by difficulty until you get in the Master levels. So play on easy til 60. Then, ramp it up to the hardest difficulty you can clear quickly. If you're in your 20s, that's probably too early to be getting many legendary drops, as I don't think there are really that many low level legendary items. Once you get in higher levels, you'll start seeing them pretty frequently... at least 2 or 3 a day even through normal questing. I think my best haul was one time, I got 7 legendary drops in one hour, but that was with great gear and a ton of +MF%, and playing areas with high mob density. Also a good deal of luck.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Froggy wrote:
the wicked child wrote:It will get tougher, but as long as you do a fairly decent job of upgrading your gear as you go along, easy won't be too bad, even on Inferno. The big thing in Hell and Inferno is that some of the rare enemies have brutal combinations of effects, like mortar, vortex ans shielding or arcane enchanted.

Yeah, I don't think the drops are effected by difficulty until you get in the Master levels. So play on easy til 60. Then, ramp it up to the hardest difficulty you can clear quickly. If you're in your 20s, that's probably too early to be getting many legendary drops, as I don't think there are really that many low level legendary items. Once you get in higher levels, you'll start seeing them pretty frequently... at least 2 or 3 a day even through normal questing. I think my best haul was one time, I got 7 legendary drops in one hour, but that was with great gear and a ton of +MF%, and playing areas with high mob density. Also a good deal of luck.

Okay, so I finally figured out what you two were talking about. :D
I'm playing on the PS3 on Medium difficulty, but on the Normal playthrough. Next is Nightmare. Can I skip to Hell after normal, or is it advisable to stick to the progression?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:24 pm

malkinshair wrote:Okay, so I finally figured out what you two were talking about. :D
I'm playing on the PS3 on Medium difficulty, but on the Normal playthrough. Next is Nightmare. Can I skip to Hell after normal, or is it advisable to stick to the progression?

No. You have to play the modes in order. You can raise the difficulty level if you want more of a challenge. The thing is, the way this game is set up, it really only makes sense to play on Easy or one of the Master Levels. There is no advantage to playing on Medium or Expert difficulty as it only increases the difficulty of the enemies, but provides no reward for doing so (Master levels add a bonus to experience and magic find). As such, it is best to play on Easy until you are strong enough for the Master Levels, as Froggy suggested. Easy will allow you to tear through enemies and level up quickly. (Unless you prefer the challenge of medium, then by all means continue).

Once you get to level 60, you start progressing "Paragon Levels" instead. Each one grants +3% gold and magic find to EVERY character you play. Each character that reaches level 60 then contributes to the same experience pool. You also gain Nephalem Valor buffs for defeating rare enemies which boost a bunch of stats.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone who played AC: Black flag - does the main story talk about the original story line and Desmond at all? I dont need spoilers, but I am just curious if it is a clean break or if they mention anything or continue anything.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 am

Finished Watch Dogs tonight, well the main story at least. Overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Not perfect by any means, and the last mission almost made me throw my controller in rage. Yeesh.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

JeffDFD wrote:Anyone who played AC: Black flag - does the main story talk about the original story line and Desmond at all? I dont need spoilers, but I am just curious if it is a clean break or if they mention anything or continue anything.

He's referenced in a few cut scenes early on, but it's more or less a clean break. The way the 'modern world' stuff is integrated into ACIV is actually kind of interesting. That was always a part of the previous AC games that I never really liked or bought into, but in Black Flag they put a fun spin on it that makes it work.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR