Arsenal are through to the Champions League Final!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Arsenal are through to the Champions League Final!!

Postby Admin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:27 pm

Jens Lehmann is the man!
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Arsenal are through to the Champions League Final!!

Postby Jesse on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:51 am

Admin wrote:Jens Lehmann is the man!


I have to admit, I don't watch much Premier league and I don't know a whole lot about soccer, but watching the two games on ESPN yesterday was actually enjoyable.

I've decided to become an Arsenal fan since they're the first team I've ever watched :)
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,638
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:28 pm

That's funny, Arsenal are normally a lot more fun to watch. Those were intense games, though, and pretty entertaining, imo.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,553
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Postby BritishPenguin on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:49 am

The final will be good - Arsenal v. Barcelona. Past two finals have been won by real outsiders, so Arsenal could well do it, but I can't see players like Eboue, Toure and Senderos having enough to stop players like Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o etc. Barcelona also have more players with big game experience.
BritishPenguin
 

Postby jmh470 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:53 pm

I'll be shocked if Barca loses the final. Larsson should start since he is a better finisher than Eto'o.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,370
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:26 am

jmh470 wrote:I'll be shocked if Barca loses the final.

Oh, but it would be so sweet if Arsenal win and knock the cheating Spurs out of their Champions League spot for next season. That would rock!
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:55 am

Admin wrote:
jmh470 wrote:I'll be shocked if Barca loses the final.

Oh, but it would be so sweet if Arsenal win and knock the cheating Spurs out of their Champions League spot for next season. That would rock!


Especially since your friends in London changed the rules for the CL so now Arsenal would automatically qualify and not have to play in the prelim rounds. Gee, the FA bending over backwards to help the Arse but not helping Liverpool... :roll:

It should be fun with Ronaldinho and Henry on the same pitch. Hopefully both teams come out attacking and trying to score instead of playing negative football.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:27 am

Rocco wrote:Especially since your friends in London changed the rules for the CL so now Arsenal would automatically qualify and not have to play in the prelim rounds. Gee, the FA bending over backwards to help the Arse but not helping Liverpool... :roll:

That rule was changed in the offseason by UEFA, no? (It's in the 2005/06 CL Regulations: http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf)

Honestly, you really think Arsenal thought they'd ever even be in this situation. Please.

Rocco wrote:It should be fun with Ronaldinho and Henry on the same pitch. Hopefully both teams come out attacking and trying to score instead of playing negative football.

Barca are not Villareal. No way Arsenal will play a Final the way they played the SF second leg.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:36 am

Admin wrote:
Rocco wrote:Especially since your friends in London changed the rules for the CL so now Arsenal would automatically qualify and not have to play in the prelim rounds. Gee, the FA bending over backwards to help the Arse but not helping Liverpool... :roll:
That rule was changed in the offseason by UEFA, no? (It's in the 2005/06 CL Regulations: http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf)

Honestly, you really think Arsenal thought they'd ever even be in this situation. Please.


Well, the FA said during the 2003-04 season that if either Arsenal or Chelsea won the CL, they'd automatically get in. They conveniently forgot about that rule the next year when LFC were in 5th and going through the CL, and then were embarrassed by their own website.

And no, I don't think Arsenal ever thought they'd be looking up at Spurs. But it's nice to have friends in high places, just in case.


Rocco wrote:It should be fun with Ronaldinho and Henry on the same pitch. Hopefully both teams come out attacking and trying to score instead of playing negative football.
Barca are not Villareal. No way Arsenal will play a Final the way they played the SF second leg.


I don't blame Arsenal for playing defensively last game- that's what you do in Europe, and after watching Liverpool beat Chelsea last year by scoring a goal early and then not crossing mid-field for the rest of the game, I can't complain. I merely hope both teams play to win and not in fear of the other team and give us a good, entertaining match. Not as entertaining as last year's though. :D
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Postby BritishPenguin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 pm

There's another England v. Spain battle in the UEFA Cup - Middlesbrough vs. Sevilla in the final. Which might hold more significance, particularly for Steve McClaren - if his Boro side win, he is almost certain of the England management post.

It would be good for the Premiership if both Arsenal and Middlesbrough were to win their finals, however it would be a tad unfair on Tottenham were they to be denied of a Champions League place. Still it could be a lot worse - in the Netherlands, there is a possible scenario in which the fifth place team makes a Champions League qualifier and the second, third and fourth don't make any competition at all.
BritishPenguin
 

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:56 pm

BritishPenguin wrote:Which might hold more significance, particularly for Steve McClaren - if his Boro side win, he is almost certain of the England management post.

Wow, I missed the Scolari news. I had read earlier today he was going to take the job and now he's turned it down due to "pressure." Interesting.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:57 pm

BritishPenguin wrote:...a tad unfair on Tottenham were they to be denied of a Champions League place.

And don't get me started on those cheaters. :evil:
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cagsjr724, Defence21, Dickie Dunn, meow, Mr. Colby, SolidSnake and 10 guests

e-mail