Thoughts on the new Pearl Jam CD?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thoughts on the new Pearl Jam CD?

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 05, 2006 12:47 pm

I gave it my first listen, and I must say I am dissapointed. I have been less and less enthusiastic about their new material for a while now, and this latest effort didn't do it for me at all. I think I only actually like one song on the whole CD, and that's "Marker In The Sand". Maybe more will grow on me, but I'm not feeling it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Peter on Fri May 05, 2006 2:24 pm

All good things come to an end my friend. Ask Weird Al.
Peter

Postby spoon on Fri May 05, 2006 2:40 pm

i friggin LOVE it
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri May 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Sorry guys...Pearl Jam died about 10 years ago. :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri May 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Seems like a little of a different sound. Some might not like it, but I think it'll grow on me. Maybe they think it's time for a change to try for one last gasp since they are (or have) faded quickly.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spoon on Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 pm

funny everyone thinks they've faded away/out when just about every venue sells out
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat May 06, 2006 2:52 am

You can be old news and still sell out venues for a tour. If you've ever seen them live, they certainly put on a good show, whether or not the music is stale.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat May 06, 2006 3:25 am

I'm waiting for the Chili Pepper's new CD myself. I like the single. The album's been leaked but I'll hold off a few more days for the release.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat May 06, 2006 1:32 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:I'm waiting for the Chili Pepper's new CD myself. I like the single. The album's been leaked but I'll hold off a few more days for the release.

I hear ya on the RHCP. I thought By the Way was awesome. It had a twist of Beach-Boy-iness, almost reminiscent of 'Pet Sounds'. Other than By the Way, which radio played the crap out of, that album was chock full of other great tunes.

The new PJ is good... I think better than their last few. Worldwide Suicide is actually a pretty decent tune, in my opinion. I would have liked it a lot better if I didn't hear it a million friggin' times on the radio first. First listen, I'd say I liked half the songs which ain't bad for a release nowadays. Since then, many of the other songs have grown on me. I definitely won't be disappointed in hearing them play a lot of the new stuff in concert this summer.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat May 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Thoughts?

"It probably blows..."

Better check out Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Or the new Scott Walker.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 pm

I bought it last week and I have been wearing it out in my truck CD player ever since. I dont get up in the morning to go to work. I get up in the morning to listen to the new PJ cd on my way into work!

Another instant classic by the best band of the 90's and 00's.

Vedder has lost alittle of his voice over the years and on this CD it is actually reflected in the recording. They have turned up the background vocals alittle bit and it makes up for it. Having said that, he still has the absolute greatest rock n' roll voice in the business.

Has this CD made me want to quit my job, buy a surfboard, and drive across the country to become a BEEECH BUM?? No, but that is only because I dont have the $10,000 in gas it would cost me to get there!! I fear that by the time it goes down my PJ buzz will subside.

This is their best effort since Yeild but I love every single thing they have ever put out. This CD has placed Pearl Jam among the all-time greatest bands of all time. My current all-time favorite band list is as follows:

1.Led Zepplin
2.Social Distortion
3.Beatles
4.Pearl Jam
5.Queen
6.Iron Maiden
7.Nine Inch Nails
8.Pink Floyd
9.Police
10.Pavement
10b.U2
NIN

Postby Ben Klingston on Thu May 18, 2006 7:32 pm

NIN wrote:I bought it last week and I have been wearing it out in my truck CD player ever since. I dont get up in the morning to go to work. I get up in the morning to listen to the new PJ cd on my way into work!

Another instant classic by the best band of the 90's and 00's.

Vedder has lost alittle of his voice over the years and on this CD it is actually reflected in the recording. They have turned up the background vocals alittle bit and it makes up for it. Having said that, he still has the absolute greatest rock n' roll voice in the business.

Has this CD made me want to quit my job, buy a surfboard, and drive across the country to become a BEEECH BUM?? No, but that is only because I dont have the $10,000 in gas it would cost me to get there!! I fear that by the time it goes down my PJ buzz will subside.

This is their best effort since Yeild but I love every single thing they have ever put out. This CD has placed Pearl Jam among the all-time greatest bands of all time. My current all-time favorite band list is as follows:

1.Led Zepplin
2.Social Distortion
3.Beatles
4.Pearl Jam
5.Queen
6.Iron Maiden
7.Nine Inch Nails
8.Pink Floyd
9.Police
10.Pavement
10b.U2

Roger that. I was lucky enough to have my little bro host me for a weekend in Albany last weekend, and we all went to the PJ concert at the Pepsi Arena. It effin' rocked. One of the rarest setlists I've ever heard them of playing... including 'Rats' off Vs. The Albany River Rats of the AHL play at the arena, and before they played the song, Vedder said 'Here's one for the home team'. Gotta love the hockey-related reference at the PJ show. Can't wait to see them here in the 'burgh next month.

The more I listen to the new album, the more I dig it. Marker in the Sand has awesome tempo changes... Come Back is a great slow ballad... Severed Hand is a rocker. Oh, and they opened the Albany show with the 'Wasted Reprise', straight into 'Life Wasted'. They haven't opened any of the shows since with that combo, but it is the best possible opener IMHO, out of all of their new stuff. Very theatric building through the reprise, and launching into a rocking version of Life Wasted. They also did a TWELVE minute version of Porch!

I'm also seriously considering making a quick trip to Minneapolis or Denver to see them play with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. A chance to see your 2 favorite bands co-headline a show is once in a lifetime (but price!). :shock:
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spoon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:19 pm

I just downloaded that show. Matt did a good job playing Rats for the first time. What sucks is faintly in the background some drunk chick keeps shouting "Play Baba!" I'm stoked for Cleveland tomorrow. Ok the show not the city.

Just saw this on Google Video. video for Life Wasted
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4357770983
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rychster on Fri May 19, 2006 5:57 pm

Pitts wrote:Sorry guys...Pearl Jam died about 10 years ago. :shock:

I agree but even earlier than that IMHO. After "10" they pretty much went downhill and I am a grunge fan.

To each his own. No disrespect to anyones music because I, for one, listen to stuff no one likes (Bands like Opeth, Within Temptation, Demons & Wizards, etc.). But that is the point for me. I like music that no one else gives a try. I mean, I love Queensryche but not their new stuff. I recognized that their best days are behind them. I mean, O:M II su*ks compared to O:M I.

If Vedder wasn't so damn "singy" and they focused on what really rocks, they probably would have turned it around.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 19, 2006 6:25 pm

Ten and Vs. are in the same catagory in my book, both awesome. Vitolagy is really where I think things started to change, but they still rocked and I was really into it. Yeild and No Code were both really good, and I loved them too. Binaural is where things started going downhill for me. It just wasn't the same.... I hardly ever listened to it. Then Riot Act came out, and it seemed like more of the same. All his political stuff soured me too. Then with this new one it confirms for me that the Pearl Jam that I like is years past.

But man, there aren't much better memories for me than to get in the car, put Ten in the CD player and crank up "Alive".

oh and one more thing.... did anyone get the Lost Dogs CD? That track "Brother"... man what a song that would have made, I love it. I heard that Jeff almost left the band because they didnt make a song of that track way back in the day.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri May 19, 2006 11:20 pm

spoon wrote:I just downloaded that show. Matt did a good job playing Rats for the first time. What sucks is faintly in the background some drunk chick keeps shouting "Play Baba!" I'm stoked for Cleveland tomorrow. Ok the show not the city.

Just saw this on Google Video. video for Life Wasted
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4357770983

Well, if there's any way to enjoy Cleveland, it would either be A) Stillers trouncing the Browns, or B) Watching PJ. Have fun with B).

Pulling out Rats was awesome, but I liked Satan's Bed even better. I love Vitalogy, and after hearing the thrown-together version of the song in State College, it was so cool to hear a nice, tight version of it! It was a non-typical night all around.. from the Reprise opener, to NOT ending with Ledbetter (I love the song, but I also love Alive... very cool).

Enjoy tomorrow! Represent the 'burgh well.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri May 19, 2006 11:33 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Ten and Vs. are in the same catagory in my book, both awesome. Vitolagy is really where I think things started to change, but they still rocked and I was really into it. Yeild and No Code were both really good, and I loved them too. Binaural is where things started going downhill for me. It just wasn't the same.... I hardly ever listened to it. Then Riot Act came out, and it seemed like more of the same. All his political stuff soured me too. Then with this new one it confirms for me that the Pearl Jam that I like is years past.

But man, there aren't much better memories for me than to get in the car, put Ten in the CD player and crank up "Alive".

oh and one more thing.... did anyone get the Lost Dogs CD? That track "Brother"... man what a song that would have made, I love it. I heard that Jeff almost left the band because they didnt make a song of that track way back in the day.

Well, while Ten and Vs. are just all-time classics, I found that I liked a majority of their stuff all the way through. I mean, I won't argue that their sound changed over the years. Binaural and Riot Act were definitely differentl sounds. I think their sound matured as the band themselves matured over the years... less youth-driven-passion and angst, more reflective type songs... not that they didn't have some rockers in Binaural and Riot Act. Personally, as I grew a bit older, my taste seemed to follow their changes. But I don't begrudge the folks who don't dig their later stuff, after the sounds that came out of Ten and Vs, or even Vitalogy.

I do hear ya on the political stuff. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I really don't find myself paying much attention to the lyrics of songs. Call me simple-minded, whatever. It's all about the music part of it. They could be reciting the alphabet for all I care, and if it rocked, I'm in. But EV does let his, and the group's, political views shine through in their music... the latest stuff is no exception. What I really don't care for is the rants at the concerts, but I love the music too much to let it bother me too much.

And while it's not Ten or Vs.... I love the new album. At first listen, there were only a few songs that really jumped out at me... but after the 3rd or 4th listen, and hearing most of it live... I love it.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spiral Architect on Sat May 20, 2006 1:28 am

FallenHero96 wrote:oh and one more thing.... did anyone get the Lost Dogs CD? That track "Brother"... man what a song that would have made, I love it. I heard that Jeff almost left the band because they didnt make a song of that track way back in the day.
So you've only heard the instrumental version of "Brother"? There's a full version of it on the "Rough Mixes" demo that made its way onto the Internet years ago. I think that the old Lukin.com site still has all of them available for download.
Spiral Architect

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat May 20, 2006 11:16 am

Ya I have only heard the Lost Dogs version.... thats pretty sweet, I'll check out the rough mixes... thanks.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spoon on Sun May 21, 2006 9:37 pm

Mallguard, the show in Cleveland was INSANE! Best show ever!

Here's my pics http://www.superunknown.com/photos/thum ... p?album=81

Here's the setlist
Pre-Opener Last Kiss

Set 1 Better Man, Given To Fly, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Faithfull, Unemployable, Gone, Daughter/(It’s Ok), MFC, Immortality, Lukin, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Porch

Encore 1 Wasted Reprise, Thumbing My Way, Inside Job, Black, Alive

Encore 2 Go, Comatose, U, Don’t Gimme No Lip, Smile, Why Go, ****¢â‚¬â„¢ Up, Yellow Ledbetter
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon May 22, 2006 12:13 am

spoon wrote:Mallguard, the show in Cleveland was INSANE! Best show ever!

Here's the setlist
Pre-Opener Last Kiss

Set 1 Better Man, Given To Fly, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Faithfull, Unemployable, Gone, Daughter/(It’s Ok), MFC, Immortality, Lukin, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Porch

Encore 1 Wasted Reprise, Thumbing My Way, Inside Job, Black, Alive

Encore 2 Go, Comatose, U, Don’t Gimme No Lip, Smile, Why Go, ****’ Up, Yellow Ledbetter

Ooooh. Faithful, IMMORTALITY (one of my faves), and Don't Gimme Know Lip. *In my best Napoleon Dynomite voice*: "Lucky!"

But that's what is so great about this tour and PJ in general.. you never know what you're going to get. I'll take my Red Mosquito, Rats, and Satan's Bed from Albany. :D

Can't wait for 6/23!

Oh, and check your PM. I have a couple related questions..
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Fri May 26, 2006 4:12 pm

C'mon, Ben, keep the questions on here -- inquiring minds want to know more info on PJ!

My girlfriend just told me that she got us tickets for Sunday night's show here in Philly. I had tried previously but it was sold out, but someone at her work was selling for face for tix in the seating area (not lawn) at this outdoor venue. I went to both nights they were in Philly on the last tour in 2003, and the first night definitely was better than the second (but I was also drunker for the first night, which could explain my enjoyment). I'm going to download one of the shows from Boston or Toronto to check those out to get a feel for how they sound.

Green Disease is my favorite "new" Pearl Jam song. "Animal" or "Why Go" for an "old" PJ song.

Spoon -- nice pics. But "Silent Bob" is that guy -- wearing the shirt of the band that he's going to see. Don't be that guy.

Is Eddie Vedder turning into Jim Morrison? Looks like it in some of those pics with the hair and body language. Interesting look...
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby basid on Fri May 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Lucero = best band ever
basid

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri May 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Tocchet wrote:C'mon, Ben, keep the questions on here -- inquiring minds want to know more info on PJ!

Hahah. Just wanted to ask some specifics on what he remembered about left hand stage setup. I'm going to be about 10 rows up directly on McCready's left, and I couldn't remember from the Albany show whether or not there were alot of amps and stage setup that could block my view. Based on spoon's, and other tour pics, I think I'm golden.

Tocchet wrote:My girlfriend just told me that she got us tickets for Sunday night's show here in Philly. I had tried previously but it was sold out, but someone at her work was selling for face for tix in the seating area (not lawn) at this outdoor venue. I went to both nights they were in Philly on the last tour in 2003, and the first night definitely was better than the second (but I was also drunker for the first night, which could explain my enjoyment). I'm going to download one of the shows from Boston or Toronto to check those out to get a feel for how they sound.

Have fun in Philly. Usually good shows there. Last night's setlist from Boston was insane. I have to say, in my opinion, it's the best setlist so far on this tour..... Toronto2, Albany, Chicago2, Grand Rapids, and Cleveland were all good, but Boston last night was crazy. You may want to consider downloading that boot if you only get one.

Tocchet wrote:Is Eddie Vedder turning into Jim Morrison? Looks like it in some of those pics with the hair and body language. Interesting look...
WDVE morning show (back when Paulsen was on) did a gag song called 'Glorified version of Jim Morrison' to the tune of 'Glorified G'. I'll take Vedder and PJ to the Doors any day. But I grew up in the 90's....
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat May 27, 2006 7:15 pm

spoon wrote:Mallguard, the show in Cleveland was INSANE! Best show ever!

Spoon... another 10C question for you, if ya don't mind. In your PM. Thx!
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NHR