So mad at message boards right now....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby wallflower on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm

PittPensFan wrote:
wallflower wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:In Buffalo 3 feet of snow can fall in under 6 hours. A good, old fashioned Buffalo snowstorm would be hilarious and make the NHL look like idiots.

Maybe it's just me but I fail to see what's so "hilarious" about that.

I think the Ice Bowl is a cool idea and would've gotten (or tried to get) tickets if the whole trip, lodging & game was financially viable for me (unfortunately, at the moment, it's not). I guess I just don't get the whole, "put down the NHL every chance possible" thing. :?

Let me explain my position. Of all the cities you could hold this event, why Buffalo? Yes, you're almost assured of a cold day in a great hockey town, but the chance of a snowstorm washing out the whole thing is remarkably high compared to other cities. It just reeks to me of more foolish management by the NHL (in addition to the date of the game when people will either be too drunk or too engrossed in CFB to pay attention to the game).

I would find it hilarious that the NHL would look bad because it's so predictable. I put the odds at 10-1 that a snowstorm wipes this thing out (for the record, I hope it goes off without a hitch and is a smashing success) just because the NHL is luckless and poorly run. I love watching the NHL look foolish because it's the thing that stands in the way of its own game, that's all.

This is so wildy contradictory that I don't even know how to respond.

I'm no fan of the way the NHL runs things but I don't sit around hoping they fall flat on their faces at every opportunity.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby E 14 Hornblower on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:46 pm

I worked all day today also, but I had a friend who tried to get tickets for me. We were unlucky. I dont blame the Pens on this one. They were givin only 1500 tickets by the NHL. The only organization(NHL) I have ever heard of who will announce a big event and only give people less than 24 hr. notice to buy tickets. Then they saying that they are having this event to get AMERICAN fans more interested in the game. Then turning around and allowing Canadian fans (as of 1-1-08 better have passports to get back into the country) to purchase tickets knowing that Toronto is only 125 miles away from Buffalo. The way these tickets were distributed are completly ridiculous and no wonder why Bull Riding will always follow hockey on versus in the U.S.
E 14 Hornblower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PittPensFan on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:46 pm

wallflower wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:
wallflower wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:In Buffalo 3 feet of snow can fall in under 6 hours. A good, old fashioned Buffalo snowstorm would be hilarious and make the NHL look like idiots.

I think the Ice Bowl is a cool idea and would've gotten (or tried to get) tickets if the whole trip, lodging & game was financially viable for me (unfortunately, at the moment, it's not). I guess I just don't get the whole, "put down the NHL every chance possible" thing. :?

Let me explain my position. Of all the cities you could hold this event, why Buffalo? Yes, you're almost assured of a cold day in a great hockey town, but the chance of a snowstorm washing out the whole thing is remarkably high compared to other cities. It just reeks to me of more foolish management by the NHL (in addition to the date of the game when people will either be too drunk or too engrossed in CFB to pay attention to the game).

I would find it hilarious that the NHL would look bad because it's so predictable. I put the odds at 10-1 that a snowstorm wipes this thing out (for the record, I hope it goes off without a hitch and is a smashing success) just because the NHL is luckless and poorly run. I love watching the NHL look foolish because it's the thing that stands in the way of its own game, that's all.

I'm no fan of the way the NHL runs things but I don't sit around hoping they fall flat on their faces at every opportunity.

I'll admit it's contradictory. I love the game of hockey, and the NHL is highest level of it, whether I like it or not. I really am conflicted as to how I feel about them, as I want the game of hockey to do well, but at the same time want those stooges at the garage in rural Ontario to get exposed as the incompetant boobs they are at every opportunity in the forlorn hope that something will change, and that competant people will take charge of this league so that this game can really take off. Is it going to be popular everywhere? No. But merely competant management (and consistent rules) would give the league a shadow of credibility it does not have at this point.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby louie on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Pitts wrote:Someone just told me that they only reserved 1500 seats for Penguins STH's. Just passing it along.

Nonetheless, they should have been for just that, STHs, not the general public, it's the privilege of having season tickets.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lunatic Fringe on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 am

stopper40 wrote:
Admin wrote:
pfim wrote:
that "code" is like someone who puts "1,2,3,4" as their luggage code.

It's also the secret code for the air shield.

And your ATM pin number. :P

What a coincidence, that's the combo of my luggage.

For the record, it's not a PIN number. It's PIN, personal identification number, not personal identification number number.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. :D

Love the Spaceballs references guys, but I'm almost certain the combination for the air lock was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I better go watch it again to make sure...

BTW on another SB note, the animated series comes out soon.
Lunatic Fringe
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Juice on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 am

Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: So mad at message boards right now....

Postby MariosMilitia on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 am

ryan21081 wrote:This is the reason why paying customers like myself cannot get tix. Because some morons had to post the sth password, the game was sold out before i could even go online. I had to be at work when the tix went on sale. I am soooo frustrated. I have entire season tix and when i could not use them i sold them to fans like myself for face value instaed of charging twice the price. From this point on when i have extra tix, EBAY HERE I COME!!!!

I have a real hard time feeling bad for all you STH that did not get tickets and think the general public should not have had the same opportunity as you. We are all Pens fans here people. You have the privilege of attending 41 home games that I have to watch on tivo because my hockey and college schedule doesn’t allow me to watch them live on TV. Just cause you drop a grand on tickets doesn’t grant you the right to have a greater fan label then me. This is one of the few games I will get to attend this year and I have every right to be there on Jan 1.
MariosMilitia

Postby pfim on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:19 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Admin wrote:
pfim wrote:
that "code" is like someone who puts "1,2,3,4" as their luggage code.

It's also the secret code for the air shield.

And your ATM pin number. :P

What a coincidence, that's the combo of my luggage.

For the record, it's not a PIN number. It's PIN, personal identification number, not personal identification number number.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. :D

Love the Spaceballs references guys, but I'm almost certain the combination for the air lock was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I better go watch it again to make sure...

BTW on another SB note, the animated series comes out soon.

Yes, it was 1-2-3-4-5. I was just trying to run with it...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Judy on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 am

MariosMilitia wrote:
ryan21081 wrote:This is the reason why paying customers like myself cannot get tix. Because some morons had to post the sth password, the game was sold out before i could even go online. I had to be at work when the tix went on sale. I am soooo frustrated. I have entire season tix and when i could not use them i sold them to fans like myself for face value instaed of charging twice the price. From this point on when i have extra tix, EBAY HERE I COME!!!!

I have a real hard time feeling bad for all you STH that did not get tickets and think the general public should not have had the same opportunity as you. We are all Pens fans here people. You have the privilege of attending 41 home games that I have to watch on tivo because my hockey and college schedule doesn’t allow me to watch them live on TV. Just cause you drop a grand on tickets doesn’t grant you the right to have a greater fan label then me. This is one of the few games I will get to attend this year and I have every right to be there on Jan 1.

And if you were a season ticket holder, you wouldn't be none too happy being told tickets were going to be put aside for you only to find out that you were screwed over. You have to look at it from both sides. We have every right to be there as well.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby drnort on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 am

MariosMilitia wrote:

You have the privilege of attending 41 home games.

Privilege?? some people paid $5,000-10,000 for that "privilege".
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bova80 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:58 am

you are all babies if you are crying you didn't get tickets cause the code was revealed. did you honestly think this wasn't going to sell out quick regardless. I would be more mad that maple leafs and blue jays fans were given dibs on tickets than i would be that the code was given out. its not a home game, its not part of your season ticket package, you are lucky they even gave you that kind of chance. Do you think it was fair to the people who can pay for penguins tickets but not season tickets and they only get a chance at 2000 tickets because there are so many season ticket holders this year? Or even those who wanted season tickets but are on a wait list. Point being, just because you have season tickets doesn't entitle you more than joe schmoe at an away game. Be happy they gave you a slight chance.
bova80
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:02 am

bova80 wrote:you are all babies if you are crying you didn't get tickets cause the code was revealed. did you honestly think this wasn't going to sell out quick regardless. I would be more mad that maple leafs and blue jays fans were given dibs on tickets than i would be that the code was given out. its not a home game, its not part of your season ticket package, you are lucky they even gave you that kind of chance. Do you think it was fair to the people who can pay for penguins tickets but not season tickets and they only get a chance at 2000 tickets because there are so many season ticket holders this year? Or even those who wanted season tickets but are on a wait list. Point being, just because you have season tickets doesn't entitle you more than joe schmoe at an away game. Be happy they gave you a slight chance.

Well said.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby socket on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:04 am

Judy wrote:And if you were a season ticket holder, you wouldn't be none too happy being told tickets were going to be put aside for you only to find out that you were screwed over. You have to look at it from both sides. We have every right to be there as well.

Sure you have every right -- but not any more right. Events sell out and some people don't get tickets, that's that. Once again, I didn't use the code and am a STH. I got tickets, if it hadn't tough $#!+ for me. Nobody is owed anything. It's an away game.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roller81 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:42 am

heh, i cant belive this thread is still alive...quit crying that you couldnt get tickets before it sold out. people were able to get tickets with or without using the 'crosby' code. the VERY few tickets that were sold with the code wouldnt of lasted more than another minute if they were available anyway...just give it a rest already
roller81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Judy on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:08 am

Sorry, but I have every right to complain when we get an email that states the following;

As a Pittsburgh Penguins Season Ticket Holder, we have reserved seats for you. Starting at 10 AM Tuesday, September 18th, 2007, you will be able to click on a link to access tickets for this event. Please note that these seats will only be held until September 28th, based on availability.

If you were a season ticket holder and got that email, what would you think? Tickets are reserved. If you can't see why STH's would be upset by that then there is nothing more I can say
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby socket on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 am

Well, I forgot about that.

It sucks, I know. :cry: The email was very misleading... They should have made it clear that there was a pool reserved, but not really enough for everyone.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ryan21081 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:30 am

bova80 wrote:you are all babies if you are crying you didn't get tickets cause the code was revealed. did you honestly think this wasn't going to sell out quick regardless. I would be more mad that maple leafs and blue jays fans were given dibs on tickets than i would be that the code was given out. its not a home game, its not part of your season ticket package, you are lucky they even gave you that kind of chance. Do you think it was fair to the people who can pay for penguins tickets but not season tickets and they only get a chance at 2000 tickets because there are so many season ticket holders this year? Or even those who wanted season tickets but are on a wait list. Point being, just because you have season tickets doesn't entitle you more than joe schmoe at an away game. Be happy they gave you a slight chance.

"In addition, only 133 seats set aside for Toronto Blue Jays season ticket holders and less than 200 set aside for Toronto Maple Leafs season ticket holders were sold"

wtf do these teams have anything to do with the sabres and Pens? I understand the NHL was worried that they would not have been able to sell all the tickets, but why not have a presale for pens fans since the sabres fans already have their tix and then sell the rest? I know we are the visitors buty this game is being ran by the NHL and not the Sabres. Therefor we are all loyal paying customers and should have been considered first.
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 am

I hope my life gets easy enough that one day all I have to worry about is not getting tickets to a hockey game.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ryan21081 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:50 am

wallflower wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:
wallflower wrote:

First I think that this ticket sale was terribly origanized. But on another note, Why do people who insist they are the nhl's biggest fans have something negative to say about everything they do. If this league is so terribly run then htf did we ever get a salary cap? A hard salary cap at that. The nhl's cap is harder than any other league in the country. it is because of this that we (the pens) are and will be able to compete for many years to come. MLB is run way worse then the NHL. How often are NHL Players arrested? Or test Positive for steroids? yes it happens but about 5 percent as often as the other leagues. Garry Bettman may be alot of things but without him the pens would be... well, the pirates. Small market towns Owe Gary Bettman alot of thanks for having the guts to stand up to the all mighty NHLPA. Bud selig however is a coward and we owe him a lynching. When the pens win 1,2,3, or even 4 cups in the next twenty years evan after Bettman is retired this fact should not be forgot. And when t he Pirates break the record for most losing seasons in 2009 we can all thank Buddy....
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ryan21081 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:53 am

speedyguns wrote:
bhaw wrote:The Buffalo owner even went out and said (in so many words)...

This is the first time the NHL has EVER played an outdoor game in the US and that they (the Buffalo organization) have no clue as to what the best way to distribute the tickets is. If the stadium is full for this game, whatever they did is successful. I'm sure if the NHL continues to put on outdoor games, they'll start to pin down a ticket distribution method that works, but cut someone a break here. How would you do something that has never been done before without any type of guidance, model, or instruction manual to follow?

But 50 tix per person or account? Come on now. How do you distribute tix for your home games? Do you put a limit on how many a customer can buy for a high impact game such as the ice bowl? Bettman is a joke IMO and always has been. This just furthers that sentiment.

But it was done before, IN Edmonton, and Michigan, and Wisconsin. In Edmontons case The team ran the sale not the NHL.
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 pm

speedyguns wrote:
bhaw wrote:The Buffalo owner even went out and said (in so many words)...

This is the first time the NHL has EVER played an outdoor game in the US and that they (the Buffalo organization) have no clue as to what the best way to distribute the tickets is. If the stadium is full for this game, whatever they did is successful. I'm sure if the NHL continues to put on outdoor games, they'll start to pin down a ticket distribution method that works, but cut someone a break here. How would you do something that has never been done before without any type of guidance, model, or instruction manual to follow?

But 50 tix per person or account? Come on now. How do you distribute tix for your home games? Do you put a limit on how many a customer can buy for a high impact game such as the ice bowl? Bettman is a joke IMO and always has been. This just furthers that sentiment.

They were afraid the game wasn't even going to sell out to begin with. If someone went and bought 50 tickets, go buy one from them. And the whole point of this thread was blaming message boards for selling the game out... all 1600 of us are responsible for selling out 50,000 seats somehow (how many different users actually viewed the board from the time the code was released until tickets were sold out?).

No one here had any more right to the tickets than anyone else. It's an event that has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with your status as a season ticket holder. That would be like saying you get guaranteed tickets to concerts at the arena because you bought Pens tickets... or you are guaranteed a shot at Steeler tickets because you have Pens season tickets. There is absolutely no relation between anyone having season tickets and getting any more of an opportunity to pick up tickets than anyone else who has access to the internet.

For everyone saying Bettman is an idiot for this... the NHL sold SEVENTY ONE THOUSAND tickets to an NHL game in 30 minutes. Yeah, a bunch of retards those guys are selling out a venue 4x the size of the average arena on New Years day in 30 minutes and getting a National TV spot...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm

speedyguns wrote:I really don't care about tix for the game but just pointing out the hypocrisy of the Buffalo owner. BTW the NHL DID NOT SELL 71000 tix for this game in 30 minutes. They sold from some accounts only 41000 while holding the rest for Bill STH as well as the Maple Leafs and Blue Jays. The sad part is that many blame members of a message board for leaking a password that should have been more of a challenge than 'Crosby'. IMO make it Laraque or something along those lines that may be a non-STHs guess #5 or 6 not 1 or 2. Also another sad point is that the Penguins only had an allotment of 1500 tix available.

Again Bettman has and always will be a joke. He was a yes man to David Stern and the NBA way is not the way to run the NHL. He was wrong for trying it. Why even try it if you are afraid the game won't sell out. You put it in one of the hottest markets in the country now and against the hottest opposing ticket in town.

What hypocrisy? I don't see anything hypocritical. Everyone is just finding a way to complain about something. And OK, they sold 41000 tickets in 30 minutes. There are another 30000 being held, which will sell out. And how is it sad that the Penguins were GIVEN 1500 tickets to sell how they chose for an away game? Are you now expecting EVERY NHL team out there to give us a certain per centage of their tickets just because we are the Penguins for any of THEIR home games? Buffalo does not OWE it to the Penguins to set aside tickets for them.

If you are a fan of the Penguins and a fan of the NHL, how is ANY of this a horrible thing? 71000 people WANT to see the NHL play an outdoor game. 71000 people WANT to see the Penguins play and will sit in the cold in Buffalo (not the entertainment capital of the world) to do so. Can some of you people get over yourself for like 5 seconds and see the progress that is happening here for the sport and for our team?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:27 pm

This is worse than lesky crying about scalping during the playoffs.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 pm

I'd like to know how many of the Pens 1500 STH tickets went in 50 ticket blocks. We will never know. I suspect the agency and/or scalper STHs wiped this out pretty quickly.

Realistically outdoors in Buffalo at that time of the year sounds neat, but it won't be fun. Worse possible case is a major whiteout, you get stranded/stuck along the road. Then your vehicle runs out of gas in the middle of no where. I have a set of custom made chains for my truck for this reason as I sometimes hunt between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Bhaw, the only opinion I can add here is that this particular game is a very special event. It isn't a normal Buffalo home game, even though is "technically" is. IMO, Buffalo and Penguins fans should have had a pre-sale dedicated solely to them. After that sale went off, and it could have been the next day, they open it to the general audience. One could argue that the NHL thought it might not sell out, but how would it have been any different with the botched system they had in place? With Buffalo being so close to Canada, everyone knew those tickets would go like hot-cakes. Maybe not 30 minute hot-cakes, but still, we knew they'd sell. It's not about Toronto fans, or Blue Jays fans or Bills fans. This is a very special event that many, many people just want to be a part of. To toss 1500 seats to Pittsburgh is pretty much a slap in the face. Sidney Crosby is selling this game, not Thomas Vanek.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins