Game 31 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 31 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 am

Pens lose 4-3

- Tough start, shakey keeping from young Jarry, Pens not ready to play early... too big of a hole to comeback from
- A couple of injuries last night too. I cannot believe Ollie Maatta actually got to play after that hit.... That was dirty as hell. It also takes something serious to get Viking Horny off the ice, hope he's okay
- Simon looked alright considering this is his first NHL game of the year. I like the Pens having a Czech player after having them for so many years with Hrdina, Rozival, Jagr, Slegr, Lang and Straka
- Gotta give credit to Andersen tonight, he was solid in net for the Leafs..... Pens shut down the Leafs big guns..... Marriner looks sneaky good, and still so young
- Kessel was in state last night. A couple times he didn't touch the puck for a shift, you could see him talking to himself and anyone who would listen. You have to take the bad Phil to keep the good Phil.
- Maatta's late goalpost was the end bell.... Pens didn't even seem put effort in after that. Move on, fogrettaboutit, next....
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 31 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am

Are Leafs fans the most obnoxious group who comes to the PPGA? Maybe there's more hostility from the Flyers fans when they come, but drunk and dropping F-bombs seemed fairly common in the stands last night. My buddy brought his 8 yo daughter and was none to pleased. I had a drunk Leaf fan in my row, arguing with his girlfriend an making a scene. :face:
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Great58 wrote:Are Leafs fans the most obnoxious group who comes to the PPGA? Maybe there's more hostility from the Flyers fans when they come, but drunk and dropping F-bombs seemed fairly common in the stands last night. My buddy brought his 8 yo daughter and was none to pleased. I had a drunk Leaf fan in my row, arguing with his girlfriend an making a scene. :face:

The only time I'm taking an 8 yr old to PPG Arena is for Disney on ice.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

- That was an ugly, ugly start.
- I had to step away from the game after 6:00 minutes into the 1st until the beginning of the 3rd. Jarry got pulled, but it was my impression that the goals really weren't his fault. Is that correct? One Leaf goal had the shooter parked in the crease and get at least 2 wacks at the puck; Jarry stopped the initial shot. On another, 3 Penguins collided giving the goal scorer a clear, short-range shot.
- Pens played a pretty good half game, but that's not going to get it done against anyone significant.
- If the playoffs were to start right now, the Pens would have a very short Cup defense.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Watched the 4th Leaf goal again. About 8 times. High stick IMHO. Like someone posted last night, when they say "going to Toronto for review" and it's HNIC you knew they were screwed. Between that and Letang's goal for the Rags the other night it's been a tough couple of games. Oh and the 5 minute meltdown against the Isles. But for a post they'd at least have gotten a point. Sully not happy in the post-game presser. Hopefully the AVs are dispatched with great haste tomorrow night.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm

- Re: Kessel. I'm sure nobody noticed, but Kessel actually used the body late game. Actually checked people against the boards like he meant it.
- Healing vibes to the Viking Hörn. But let's hope something good can come out of it if he can't play for a bit, call ups?
- Simon. That guy clicks with Crosby to my eyes. Well.. whattayaknow.. Had a decent to good game.
- Pens pushed hard when the game was long over and done and came within Määttä's post shot of an OT. Sure TOR was hanging back a bit, but if they don't do that, they do get goals against by people breaking away, wasn't a luxury decision. Appreciated the effort, the 4-2 goal not so much, but what can you do at that stage.
- High stick? Don't believe it was clear enough to overturn.
- What were the referees smoking by the way? Either they got it wrong an awful lot of times, or icing rules are entirely different from what I imagined they were. Wasn't a game deciding feature, but it did annoy me to bits.
- Crosby and Malkin did not attend the game until the end of the second period.

IntangibleBeer wrote:- If the playoffs were to start right now, the Pens would have a very short Cup defense.

That last word. Very much. D needs to wake up, O needs to backcheck. G should not be allowed to play with eyes closed.

Sheahan's goal was pretty.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:- Re: Kessel. I'm sure nobody noticed, but Kessel actually used the body late game. Actually checked people against the boards like he meant it.

I noticed. Kessel's been playing like a man possessed this entire season. Very impressive. He's proven his critics wrong and obviously thrives under Sullivan's coaching.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

I guess you could say that the Pens have gotten more out of Kessel then the other teams he has played for in his career. Of course he got repaid with the 2 rings the last 2 years. :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I guess you could say that the Pens have gotten more out of Kessel then the other teams he has played for in his career. Of course he got repaid with the 2 rings the last 2 years. :fist:

BEPF

Ron Wilson, who called Kessel uncoachable, is a fool.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I guess you could say that the Pens have gotten more out of Kessel then the other teams he has played for in his career. Of course he got repaid with the 2 rings the last 2 years. :fist:

BEPF

Ron Wilson, who called Kessel uncoachable, is a fool.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Great58 wrote:Ron Wilson, who called Kessel uncoachable, is a fool.

That's always been true. Just recall his days coaching the Craps.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins