Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am

I said the same thing about Murray last season, and I just saw the "lowlights" from last night's game, and two of the goals that were scored on breakaways against Jarry were right in front of him, the puck was just sitting right there, just jab that goalie stick out and disrupt the play, most times the puck will just bounce in and the goalie can make the save. Flower used to do it regularly and it worked 99% of the time, but no one since him seems to adopt it in their bag of tricks.

Please try it, please.....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am

Different goalie coach different plan?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,513
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am

I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,735
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,794
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Penspal on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

We have been spoiled rotten by MAF and his poke check ability. I cannot remember another goalie who was even close. That was likely one of the key reasons why he was so good on breakaways and shoot outs. Giving the shooting something else to consider and force them to do something early.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,478
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 am

Penspal wrote:We have been spoiled rotten by MAF and his poke check ability. I cannot remember another goalie who was even close. That was likely one of the key reasons why he was so good on breakaways and shoot outs. Giving the shooting something else to consider and force them to do something early.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,735
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.

Yes. I definitely wasn't advocating that pokecheck was the right or wrong play, just thought he could have played both a bit better and maybe even come up with a stop on one of them.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,735
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:46 am

murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.


I played goalie many years ago, not anywhere near the NHL level, and on those goals that I saw Jarry give up last night the poke check definitely would have to my mind broken up the play; the one time the player with the puck was literally dangling the puck only a few feet away from him and he just sat there and watched him find the open spot and score. The poke check takes away the shooters "time and space", it's worth a try because he's getting beat anyway! Fleury sure had great success with it and probably still does.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby BurghThing on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Of course there was the poke check by Johnny Whitehall that he whiffed on and luckily bounced off his blocker. I guess it's a lost art.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,657
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby theblackarts on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm

I would chalk it up to inexperience.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm

I said this somewhere else today, but Johnston and Sullivan have both completely erased the shootout drills that Bylsma used to run everyday. Might be worth mixing some of that back in to get some of these younger goalies some more practice on breakaways because it's definitely starting to show.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,267
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:18 am

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Daniel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Weegie wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.


I played goalie many years ago, not anywhere near the NHL level, and on those goals that I saw Jarry give up last night the poke check definitely would have to my mind broken up the play; the one time the player with the puck was literally dangling the puck only a few feet away from him and he just sat there and watched him find the open spot and score. The poke check takes away the shooters "time and space", it's worth a try because he's getting beat anyway! Fleury sure had great success with it and probably still does.


When you played goalie, how good were you on poke checks versus a player you've never seen? A team that you've never seen? I don't recall Fleury being great at the poke check after 19 NHL games.

I can see Jarry being pretty good at the poke check as he gets more experience. He's exceeded my expectations so far and I have a feeling he might be the goalie of the future, with Murray being traded.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,096
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Daniel wrote:
Weegie wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.


I played goalie many years ago, not anywhere near the NHL level, and on those goals that I saw Jarry give up last night the poke check definitely would have to my mind broken up the play; the one time the player with the puck was literally dangling the puck only a few feet away from him and he just sat there and watched him find the open spot and score. The poke check takes away the shooters "time and space", it's worth a try because he's getting beat anyway! Fleury sure had great success with it and probably still does.


When you played goalie, how good were you on poke checks versus a player you've never seen? A team that you've never seen? I don't recall Fleury being great at the poke check after 19 NHL games.

I can see Jarry being pretty good at the poke check as he gets more experience. He's exceeded my expectations so far and I have a feeling he might be the goalie of the future, with Murray being traded.


It really didn't matter if it was a player I had seen or not, if the situation presents itself you just do it; on a breakaway it is "do or die" for a goalie, sometimes you can watch what move they are trying and try to follow it and block the shot but other times if the puck is straight in front of you and you can just jab at it with the goalstick you just make up your mind to do it and do it quickly , once you make the move to do it it is "get it or get back" FAST!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Weegie wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Weegie wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I was going to say on the GDT last night, I know they are breakaways and the shooter typically has a large advantage, but Jarry didn't seem to play either of those breakaways very well. Occassionaly you need your goalie to come up with some big saves on those.


Agreed but I'm not sure the poke check was the answer. My friend is head of goaltender development for an NHL team, having coached Murray and Carter Hutton as well. From what I recall, the poke check is used in certain situations and I'm not sure either of those dictated it. At least from his philosophy.


I played goalie many years ago, not anywhere near the NHL level, and on those goals that I saw Jarry give up last night the poke check definitely would have to my mind broken up the play; the one time the player with the puck was literally dangling the puck only a few feet away from him and he just sat there and watched him find the open spot and score. The poke check takes away the shooters "time and space", it's worth a try because he's getting beat anyway! Fleury sure had great success with it and probably still does.


When you played goalie, how good were you on poke checks versus a player you've never seen? A team that you've never seen? I don't recall Fleury being great at the poke check after 19 NHL games.

I can see Jarry being pretty good at the poke check as he gets more experience. He's exceeded my expectations so far and I have a feeling he might be the goalie of the future, with Murray being traded.


It really didn't matter if it was a player I had seen or not, if the situation presents itself you just do it; on a breakaway it is "do or die" for a goalie, sometimes you can watch what move they are trying and try to follow it and block the shot but other times if the puck is straight in front of you and you can just jab at it with the goalstick you just make up your mind to do it and do it quickly , once you make the move to do it it is "get it or get back" FAST!

Speaking as a former goaltender (no, not icehockey), I gotta speak up here.

If you come out and challenge, you gotta have it. There is no "get back fast". Sure, you can (and should) try to make a save if your challenge comes up short, but your chances are very poor.

In my view, stick play should come with the package, for any goalie that likes to play high up his crease.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,764
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Weegie on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:52 pm

It really didn't matter if it was a player I had seen or not, if the situation presents itself you just do it; on a breakaway it is "do or die" for a goalie, sometimes you can watch what move they are trying and try to follow it and block the shot but other times if the puck is straight in front of you and you can just jab at it with the goalstick you just make up your mind to do it and do it quickly , once you make the move to do it it is "get it or get back" FAST![/quote]
Speaking as a former goaltender (no, not icehockey), I gotta speak up here.

If you come out and challenge, you gotta have it. There is no "get back fast". Sure, you can (and should) try to make a save if your challenge comes up short, but your chances are very poor.

In my view, stick play should come with the package, for any goalie that likes to play high up his crease.[/quote]

You make an attempt at the poke check, you either get it and disrupt the play and if you don't you retract the stick and reposition yourself in the butterfly position and push off to the side the shooter is going, that's what I meant by "get back fast". If you do the poke check properly the puck should harmlessly bounce right to you and you just cover up the rebound.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 pm

Weegie wrote:I said the same thing about Murray last season, and I just saw the "lowlights" from last night's game, and two of the goals that were scored on breakaways against Jarry were right in front of him, the puck was just sitting right there, just jab that goalie stick out and disrupt the play, most times the puck will just bounce in and the goalie can make the save. Flower used to do it regularly and it worked 99% of the time, but no one since him seems to adopt it in their bag of tricks.

Please try it, please.....

Let me see you go out there and do it! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,787
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Poke check please goalies, poke check!

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 am

Pitts wrote:
Weegie wrote:I said the same thing about Murray last season, and I just saw the "lowlights" from last night's game, and two of the goals that were scored on breakaways against Jarry were right in front of him, the puck was just sitting right there, just jab that goalie stick out and disrupt the play, most times the puck will just bounce in and the goalie can make the save. Flower used to do it regularly and it worked 99% of the time, but no one since him seems to adopt it in their bag of tricks.

Please try it, please.....

Let me see you go out there and do it! :)


40 years ago when I was goalie yes but not now...maybe I'd get lucky with it now once in awhile but I doubt it, at 57 the mind knows what to do but the body says "really? Are you crazy?" :) :shock:

It just drives me nuts when I watch the replays of the goals especially in slow motion when the puckhandler is just dangling the puck right square in front of them and they just stare at it mesmerized, just jam that big goalie stick straight out at it and bust up the play, if you don't do anything they are just waiting you out and just flip it into the open spot be it 5 hole or usually over the shoulder. Please just do it, if we had a dollar for everytiime that we saw Fleury do it we'd be retired , he was great at it and that is probably why it drives me nuts because it can be done and it works! And it can make a difference in a win or a loss. I also coach youth soccer and tell my goalies "on a breakaway you have to come out and challenge, if you stand still you are dead, get a little nuts (aggressive)" and the same applies here; if you just sit there in the butterfly maybe you wait them out and they run out of "runway" but more likely the shooter realizes you aren't moving and scores easily.

I'll fly out to Pittsburgh and we'll all get together and work this out, what say you guys lol?! :)
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail