Penguins Practice updates 2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Practice updates 2018

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am

From today's practice:

Sprong took no line rushes with the team.
Rust was splitting time on the 3rd line line rushes, swapping with Kessel on RW and Guentzel on LW.

Lines per Mackey....

Penguins lines/pairs:
Simon-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel (Rust rotating on both wings)
Kuhnhackl-Dea-Reaves
***Didn't see Sprong take anything

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak
Cole-Ruhwedel
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins Practice updates 2018

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

Sprong status: traded or explosive diarrhea?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am

From Jesse Marshall:

I'd surmise that the benching of Sprong is tied to him bailing on the defensive zone early in anticipation of oncoming offensive rushes that never materialized vs. Anaheim. If that's it, grill the kid on video. Push him at it during practice, then put him right back in.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am

And, how bad is it of me to say YAY to this:

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

Matt Hunwick went awkwardly into the boards during a power play drill. Seemed to be favoring his neck. Went to the locker room for medical attention.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:From Jesse Marshall:

I'd surmise that the benching of Sprong is tied to him bailing on the defensive zone early in anticipation of oncoming offensive rushes that never materialized vs. Anaheim. If that's it, grill the kid on video. Push him at it during practice, then put him right back in.

Or just insert a cork.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

FLPensFan wrote:And, how bad is it of me to say YAY to this:

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

Matt Hunwick went awkwardly into the boards during a power play drill. Seemed to be favoring his neck. Went to the locker room for medical attention.

And someone asked if it was Ian Cole that "pushed" him into the boards. :twisted:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Steve Dave wrote:

Or just insert a cork.

Well, the benching of young guys for multiple games has worked very well for them in the past with Pouliot, Despres, and a few others...... :roll:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

I'd say that's bad on many levels.... but what do I know. Definitely bad on the juju/mojo front, maybe a little bad karma in there for you too... you can always take it back? :fist:

I've been critical of Hunwick for sure, BUT as some astute posters on the very board have pointed out, sometimes it takes veteran D guys a while to get acclimatized (Gonchar & Martin as examples). Let's hope that is the case with Hunwick and that he's okay.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Or just insert a cork.

Well, the benching of young guys for multiple games has worked very well for them in the past with Pouliot, Despres, and a few others...... :roll:

If they're not going to play Sprong then send him back to WBS. There is no reason to have him sitting in the press box eating nachos. It points however to the fact that Sprong is a very one dimensional player. Nobody expects him to be in contention for the Selke Trophy, but if you aren't producing offensively then the rest of your game is going to be closely scrutinized.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Penspal wrote:

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

I'd say that's bad on many levels.... but what do I know. Definitely bad on the juju/mojo front, maybe a little bad karma in there for you too... you can always take it back? :fist:

I've been critical of Hunwick for sure, BUT as some astute posters on the very board have pointed out, sometimes it takes veteran D guys a while to get acclimatized (Gonchar & Martin as examples). Let's hope that is the case with Hunwick and that he's okay.

I wouldn't wish a head or neck injury on anyone.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

He's ok. And agreed, I wouldn't wish any type of serious injury of any type on anyone. More playful on my part, but probably should have left out the YAY.

Rust practiced full contact today. He himself sounded iffy as to playing tomorrow, so might be another game or so before he gets back in the lineup.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Jason Mackey
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

Guessing Daniel Sprong is headed back to Wilkes-Barre. Just got into a car outside the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex with his sticks and equipment.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Jason Mackey
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

Guessing Daniel Sprong is headed back to Wilkes-Barre. Just got into a car outside the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex with his sticks and equipment.

Maybe Sprong's ears are still not working quite correctly?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Jim wrote:
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

Simple miscommunication is all. He thought Sully said eff the defensive zone, when he really said don't leave the D zone early. Understandable.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

How do you say "tough love" in dutch?

Happy to read Rust is headed back to the ice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm

ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

Simple miscommunication is all. He thought Sully said eff the defensive zone, when he really said don't leave the D zone early. Understandable.

I think this is a good test for Sprong, does he go down like Guentzel or Rust and take the few games as a lesson on what to improve and show the NHL club over a few game at WBS? Or does he go the Pouliot route and be immature and get caught drunk in public?

Either way, it isn't the Pens fault.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm

What is interesting, is that no announcement about Sprong has been made as of yet, by WBS or the Penguins. WBS just announced a few minutes ago that Jeff Taylor and Freddy Tiffels getting recalled from Wheeling to WBS. No mention of Sprong being sent to WBS yet.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:15 pm

penny lane wrote:How do you say "tough love" in dutch?

de mensen worden bang
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

I think this is a good test for Sprong, does he go down like Guentzel or Rust and take the few games as a lesson on what to improve and show the NHL club over a few game at WBS? Or does he go the Pouliot route and be immature and get caught drunk in public?

I had forgotten that Jake was in WBS for 6 weeks from the beginning of December until mid January.
I know Dumo was up briefly then sent back down over two years before finally making the cut.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

There is no good way to translate that phrase to dutch.

"Zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden" comes to mind. Which means "Gentle healers make for stinking wounds". Comes close, though it's an archaic saying. (When was the last time you called a surgeon a "healmaster"?)

Steve Dave wrote:

de mensen worden bang

"the people become scared?" Ehh, not so sure about that one.

A better way to put it is probably: "Sully heeft gewoon een hekel aan hem." :scared:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Great58 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

I had forgotten that Jake was in WBS for 6 weeks from the beginning of December until mid January.
I know Dumo was up briefly then sent back down over two years before finally making the cut.

Alternative.. as I would like it...

It could just mean that Rust is making his return. Forward #13 gets sent down to make room. Better Sprong plays in WBS than sits next to Cole in PIT. Still quite annoyed it took em as long as they did to return him to Charlottetown in his first NHL stint.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Adding a forward that you don't trust on the ice is a real risky fit right now in the present Pens' mix. The blueline is pretty weak, one that I would say is bottom 10 in the league. There are some forwards like Sheary, Geuntzel, Simon that simply aren't very effective 2-way because they get bumped around and can't win board battles or really impede opponents physically, so their game is all quickness. Then you have a guy who loafs when it comes to backchecking(Kessel) and a guy who is erratic and unpredictable(Geno)....all with this blueline that needs plenty of help from the forwards and goaltending, Pens just might not have room right this moment for a Sprong to learn on the job while every game is becoming critical right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Jonathan Bombulie
‏@BombulieTrib
10 minutes ago

Hitler?
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Great58 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:
@JMackeyPG
4 minutes ago

Out of the wave of WBS forwards to come up, only Sheary and Kuhnhackl didn't go back to WBS for a bit. Both came up a few months into the season where Rust and Guentzel made the team out of training camp and had to improve at WBS for whatever reason (though Rust was up a bit the year before).

Point is, it isn't unusual to have a guy up for a few games, learn what he needs to, then round out his game at WBS. Rust, Guentzel, and Dumoulin went back and earned a permanent spot in the NHL. Pouliot went back, sulked, and got traded. It's more up to Sprong than the Penguins which path he takes. The opportunity is there for him, either now or the 2018-19 season. He can go back and force a spot or force a trade.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I recall Sheary being the first to come up way back. And the first to go back down after... I don't know 10-12 games?

Sprong sent down to WBS per official twitter.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins