Penguins Pre-game talk: Toronto 3/10/2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Pre-game talk: Toronto 3/10/2018

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am

If Simon and Rust are both out for Saturday's game, I'd expect to see the forward lines shake out as follows:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins Pre-game talk: Toronto 3/10/2018

Postby KG on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:If Simon and Rust are both out for Saturday's game, I'd expect to see the forward lines shake out as follows:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

Roll 3 lines in other words :)

Any updates on Murray? He taking shots yet?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:If Simon and Rust are both out for Saturday's game, I'd expect to see the forward lines shake out as follows:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

I don't think the Penguins practiced yesterday, as I didn't see any reports. I would think they would be on the ice today before leaving for Toronto, so we shall see if Murray takes some actual shots today.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

I don't think the Penguins practiced yesterday, as I didn't see any reports. I would think they would be on the ice today before leaving for Toronto, so we shall see if Murray takes some actual shots today.

I would have preferred they brought up someone like DiPauli rather than Jooris. While DiPauli's offense has dried up at WBS since December, he at least supposedly has the speed and tenacity you look for the 4th liner. Jooris is plain garbage.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

I would have preferred they brought up someone like DiPauli rather than Jooris. While DiPauli's offense has dried up at WBS since December, he at least supposedly has the speed and tenacity you look for the 4th liner. Jooris is plain garbage.

DiPauli or Blueger would have been my choice.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

DiPauli or Blueger would have been my choice.

We may not agree, but I doubt if the Pens are interested in giving anybody else their first NHL game during the stretch run. Jooris isn't sexy, but he is a guy with over 200 NHL games under his belt. I suspect they trust him more not to make mistakes. His acquisition seemed meaningless at the deadline, and JR mentioned it'd give them another depth guy at center. It doesn't sound like they were sold on going with the kids. I guess this is why he was brought in.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm

longtimefan wrote:
We may not agree, but I doubt if the Pens are interested in giving anybody else their first NHL game during the stretch run. Jooris isn't sexy, but he is a guy with over 200 NHL games under his belt. I suspect they trust him more not to make mistakes. His acquisition seemed meaningless at the deadline, and JR mentioned it'd give them another depth guy at center. It doesn't sound like they were sold on going with the kids. I guess this is why he was brought in.

The thing is, you have to get the kids that you feel are closest some time in the NHL when you have the chance. Rust and Simon out has forced them to insert Rowney and Jooris into the lineup. You need to be able to see who you have at the ready should you get hit by injuries. You already know Rowney can play (well, the Penguins think he can). So can Jooris. Not only does getting looks at DiPauli or Blueger let them see where they are at in terms of NHL readiness, it could also go a long way in determining if you need to resign a guy like Rowney over the summer.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Simon, Rust, Murray, and ZAR not at practice. Everyone else is.

I did not see any reports of Murray practicing before the main group today.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

Swap Rowney and Jooris, which is something I thought could happen as well. Otherwise, these be the lines.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 pm

I'd argue they don't really know what they have in Jooris. They want to see how he does in this environment. At the end of the day they are concerned about winning now and they think Jooris and Rowney give them a better chance, largely because both have shown something at the NHL level. Guys like Blueger and DiPauli have potential to be NHL bottom six players but neither are particularly good prospects. I don't think now is the time to be testing the waters on anybody, but it may turn out to be beneficial to get someone like Blueger in at some point because he could potentially be called on in the playoffs. In recent years they've done that sort of thing in the last game or two once the standings have solidified.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'd argue they don't really know what they have in Jooris. They want to see how he does in this environment. At the end of the day they are concerned about winning now and they think Jooris and Rowney give them a better chance, largely because both have shown something at the NHL level. Guys like Blueger and DiPauli have potential to be NHL bottom six players but neither are particularly good prospects. I don't think now is the time to be testing the waters on anybody, but it may turn out to be beneficial to get someone like Blueger in at some point because he could potentially be called on in the playoffs. In recent years they've done that sort of thing in the last game or two once the standings have solidified.

That's the key. The standings are too close and the Pens have put themselves into win the division. They are more interested in guys they feel they can trust as opposed to giving somebody their debut. They have tended to get some of those guys in the lineup once their position is set. Not now though.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Murray was out with controlled shooting today, guessing that means low shots to start having his body hit the ice and move side to side as part of recovery protocol. If he’s fine after that then I’m going to guess more shots and then full practice. Obvisously they just want him to be 100% in the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

In other words, no shots that could hit him in the head. Clearly, he is progressing in their protocol.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm

In my opinion, they decided to leave the kids in Wilkes-Barre and get them playing. No reason to rock any boats when you've just acquired Rowney's stunt double in a trade.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 am

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/134 ... -6-centers
Article listed Jooris as 4th line center and Rowney as RW. Jooris is a rh same as Rowney. If he shows enough maybe he can answer many fans' wishes and replace Rowney once the injured return.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RentedMule66 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 am

What's the word on ZAR? I know he was listed as week to week. What type of injury does he have and I wonder if he's getting close to coming back yet?
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:00 am

RentedMule66 wrote:What's the word on ZAR? I know he was listed as week to week. What type of injury does he have and I wonder if he's getting close to coming back yet?

From the Trib (Feb 28): "Penguins rookie wing Zach Aston-Reese missed Wednesday's practice and is out "longer term" because of an upper-body injury ... Sullivan said Aston-Reese was injured during practice Monday before Tuesday's 3-2 home loss to the New Jersey Devils."

FLPensFan (on the injury thread Mar 1st) : "From Mackey's chat today, it sure sounds like Aston-Reese is unlikely to play again before the regular season ends. I haven't seen this publicly stated, but he alluded to it once or twice in his chat that ZAR is unlikely to get in another game before the end of the regular season."
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am

RentedMule66 wrote:What's the word on ZAR? I know he was listed as week to week. What type of injury does he have and I wonder if he's getting close to coming back yet?

Grain of salt, but TIOPS says he could play next week and he heard it was a 2/3 week type injury.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

Humperdink wrote:

From the Trib (Feb 28): "Penguins rookie wing Zach Aston-Reese missed Wednesday's practice and is out "longer term" because of an upper-body injury ... Sullivan said Aston-Reese was injured during practice Monday before Tuesday's 3-2 home loss to the New Jersey Devils."

FLPensFan (on the injury thread Mar 1st) : "From Mackey's chat today, it sure sounds like Aston-Reese is unlikely to play again before the regular season ends. I haven't seen this publicly stated, but he alluded to it once or twice in his chat that ZAR is unlikely to get in another game before the end of the regular season."

Damn I was hoping he'd get some games in before the playoffs and get some chemistry/line combos tried out before the playoffs.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Sully's official statement yesterday was he was making progress. Which doesn't say a lot, but my perception was more along the lines of the TIOPS report.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Man that 4th line is trash
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Jooris

Swap Rowney and Jooris, which is something I thought could happen as well. Otherwise, these be the lines.

Jooris centering that line is telling on how the Pens feel about Rowney at this point. Jooris was brought in to provide additional center depth per JR. Him getting placed in the more important center position over Rowney is not a good omen for Carter. They are both RH faceoff men, and the Pens are trying to incorporate Brassard into the PK. Rowney seems to be falling down the depth chart.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Over under on 4th line minutes tonight:
3:40
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Over
Last edited by Steve Dave on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm

I’ll play devil’s advocate on this. Jooris had been banished to the minors for the first time in a few years and is now with a new organization where he will want to make a big impression. Rowney was scratched the last few games. I could see that line providing a spark. You’re not going to get that over the long haul from this group, but in short bursts these kinds of guys can bring some energy because their spot in the lineup is constantly on the line.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins