VGK

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: VGK

Postby flame on Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 pm

The panthers didn’t have to get rid of marchessault. From day one everyone knew that was the biggest mistake of the draft. Florida felt Reilly Smith was overpaid so they agreed to give up their leading goal scorer to lose Smiths contract to Vegas. Maybe Florida shouldn’t have fires their great coach and left him on the curb to catch a cab. Oh that guy is named Gerard Gallant. I wish all the geniuses who thought vegas would be phenomenal in year one told me this when vegas was 200-1 to win the cup. We would all have a lot more cash right now cause I would be hedging my bet in the finals.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm

And yes the draft was designed to make vegas more competetive then other expansion teams but the GMs are what gave Vegas a shot. McPhee did a phenomenal job getting the players he wanted and Gallant has done one of the best coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. For those who think the draft was supposed to create a juggernaut I suggest reading this article. The Florida Panthers and to a lesser extent Minnesota Wild and St Louis Blues are most responsible for the best players on the roster besides Fleury and Neal and they probably didn’t need to lose any of em. Also the D doesn’t have a player who was a top 3 defenseman last season and I’m pretty sure 5 were bottom pair/healthy scratches at times. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcspo ... ur-gm/amp/
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby flame on Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Special shoutout to coach Tortorella who thought William Karlsson wasn’t a capable nhl player. Where would Vegas be if Tortorella even remotely realized what he had in Karlsson? The team all plays with a chip on their shoulder and as one unit. Fleurys playing out of his mind and it’s incredible to watch.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 pm

flame wrote:And yes the draft was designed to make vegas more competetive then other expansion teams but the GMs are what gave Vegas a shot. McPhee did a phenomenal job getting the players he wanted and Gallant has done one of the best coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. For those who think the draft was supposed to create a juggernaut I suggest reading this article. The Florida Panthers and to a lesser extent Minnesota Wild and St Louis Blues are most responsible for the best players on the roster besides Fleury and Neal and they probably didn’t need to lose any of em. Also the D doesn’t have a player who was a top 3 defenseman last season and I’m pretty sure 5 were bottom pair/healthy scratches at times. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcspo ... ur-gm/amp/

Fleury was the sacrificial lamb. Close to 9 mil tied up in 2 goalies was gonna be a big problem for the Pens. No doubt Fleury had a great year and I hope he gets another Cup. He needed to be the #1 goalie and that wasn't going to happen with the Pens. Some might say we kept the wrong goalie. I'm not sure of that. I'm in that wait til next year ends to say that.

As for Neal, IMHO, he wasn't in the best of graces with Nashville either otherwise they might have left someone else unprotected.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby flame on Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:
flame wrote:And yes the draft was designed to make vegas more competetive then other expansion teams but the GMs are what gave Vegas a shot. McPhee did a phenomenal job getting the players he wanted and Gallant has done one of the best coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. For those who think the draft was supposed to create a juggernaut I suggest reading this article. The Florida Panthers and to a lesser extent Minnesota Wild and St Louis Blues are most responsible for the best players on the roster besides Fleury and Neal and they probably didn’t need to lose any of em. Also the D doesn’t have a player who was a top 3 defenseman last season and I’m pretty sure 5 were bottom pair/healthy scratches at times. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbcspo ... ur-gm/amp/

Fleury was the sacrificial lamb. Close to 9 mil tied up in 2 goalies was gonna be a big problem for the Pens. No doubt Fleury had a great year and I hope he gets another Cup. He needed to be the #1 goalie and that wasn't going to happen with the Pens. Some might say we kept the wrong goalie. I'm not sure of that. I'm in that wait til next year ends to say that.

As for Neal, IMHO, he wasn't in the best of graces with Nashville either otherwise they might have left someone else unprotected.

Neal was entering the last year of his contract so it made sense to let him go given they had to protect their top 4 defensemen. Neal was the best skater in the draft (at least on paper). Heading into the season if he’s your best skater you would think you’d be in trouble.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

flame wrote:Special shoutout to coach Tortorella who thought William Karlsson wasn’t a capable nhl player. Where would Vegas be if Tortorella even remotely realized what he had in Karlsson? The team all plays with a chip on their shoulder and as one unit. Fleurys playing out of his mind and it’s incredible to watch.

Going from 6 goals in 81 games to 43 isn't due to bad coaching.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby flame on Wed May 23, 2018 5:15 am

Jim wrote:
flame wrote:Special shoutout to coach Tortorella who thought William Karlsson wasn’t a capable nhl player. Where would Vegas be if Tortorella even remotely realized what he had in Karlsson? The team all plays with a chip on their shoulder and as one unit. Fleurys playing out of his mind and it’s incredible to watch.

Going from 6 goals in 81 games to 43 isn't due to bad coaching.

Obviously Karlsson took advantage of his situation in Vegas, but he was left on the bottom line most of the year in Columbus and not put in situations to succeed. He was the best player on the ice in game 4 vs pittsburgh in the playoffs last year. The jackets valued guys like Anderson more then Karlsson. His fellow countryman and former jackets teammate Wennberg was surprised he was ahead of Karlsson. It’s not all coaching but Torts clearly didn’t realize what he had in Karlsson. It isn’t just the goals with Karlsson, the guy plays tremendous defense as well. He clearly ran above EV to get 40+ goals but in game 4 against Columbus I was like who is this guy he’s really good... and from the moment he took the ice with Vegas he’s been sensational.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

I am still baffled by the GMs in the NHL. The deals they made to protect players was odd. "hear take all these picks and players just so we can protect player B." Just odd, and I was totally expecting teams to make deals with other NHL clubs so they only were in a position to lose a 3rd liner.

Neal should of been traded for a 1st rounder some where before you just lose him for nothing. Marchessault (sp) and Reilly, you could done the same with Marchessault, trade him for a 1st somewhere, get some kinda of asset.

In all honesty Rutherford looked super smart, I know keeping Fleury was a way to make it easier on him and his connection with the city and the team. But when Murray went down and Fleury stood on his head vs the Colombus and Caps. It worked out perfectly. If Rutherford trades Fleury before the deadline to get a worthless asset he would of looked terrible.

It was said that McFees first choice was to select Grubauer from the caps over Fleury but when the deal for Fleury was made he was able to get that defensemam. Funny how that all works out.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins