The home stretch

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The home stretch

Postby Malkintent on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 pm

brwi wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:We keep winning but so does everyone else. Montreal and Jackets both won tonight.

One of those 2 isn't going to make it. Think that the Pens and Canes will in whatever spots and CBJ/MTL will go down to the last weekend where Columbus plays the Rags and Sens and MTL has the much better Caps and Leafs. I've been thinking MTL will fade out but Columbus isn't anything wonderful either. Like the Jackets chances better with the schedule though.

End of the season, Bolts and Craps will sit their key guys and play to not get hurt.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Hatrick on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 pm

I think Montreal is most likely the odd man out(never expected them to be in contention in the first place so a bit biased against them staying in it). Based on team, and schedule(although ottawas most important game of the year might be the one against Columbus the final week, that would help their draft picks dramatically) and current position.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

brwi wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:We keep winning but so does everyone else. Montreal and Jackets both won tonight.

One of those 2 isn't going to make it. Think that the Pens and Canes will in whatever spots and CBJ/MTL will go down to the last weekend where Columbus plays the Rags and Sens and MTL has the much better Caps and Leafs. I've been thinking MTL will fade out but Columbus isn't anything wonderful either. Like the Jackets chances better with the schedule though.

I wouldn't count the Flyers out of it yet. Lot of hockey left to play.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
brwi wrote:

Flyers aren’t done yet, but, if they get in, they will be eighth. Welcome to Tampa. Then the winner of Boston/Toronto. Getting the second wild card is equivalent to delaying your tee times.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am

Malkintent wrote:
brwi wrote:

End of the season, Bolts and Craps will sit their key guys and play to not get hurt.

That assumes the Caps will be in a position to do so. Given that the Pens are just four points behind them and the Islanders are two points back with a game in hand, the Caps are hardly guaranteed first place.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

Malkintent wrote:
brwi wrote:

Washington most likely won't be able to do that. They still have to play PHI twice, CAR twice, and TB 3 times. That is not a cakewalk. They could be just as close to being out of the playoffs as they are staying in the Metro lead.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
brwi wrote:

they are five points behind, and need to pass two teams. The only thing keeping them in right now is because they do have a couple games left head to head with the teams they are fighting for 8th with. In which case they would be playing tampa. In order to avoid tampa they would need to pass three teams and are 7 points behind. With only about a dozen games left.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:11 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Malkintent wrote:
brwi wrote:

Washington most likely won't be able to do that. They still have to play PHI twice, CAR twice, and TB 3 times. That is not a cakewalk. They could be just as close to being out of the playoffs as they are staying in the Metro lead.

Wow, is that correct? That is brutal.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Malkintent wrote:
brwi wrote:

Wow, is that correct? That is brutal.

Two of the three against the Lightning are in Tampa. I'm not a Caps apologist but who makes up these schedules which has you playing the same team three times in the last twelve or so games.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Two of the three against the Lightning are in Tampa. I'm not a Caps apologist but who makes up these schedules which has you playing the same team three times in the last twelve or so games.

the same people who has us playing three different teams twice in the final 12 games(Nashville, Rangers, Detroit) and had us finished playing against the islanders for the season by December. Also the same one that had us playing a huge amount of back to backs last season.

If you have to choose to play the lightning three times in a short span I guess it would probably be at the end of the season since they are one of the few teams who will have the opportunity to sit guys if they choose to since they basically have the presidents trophy wrapped up.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby johnnews on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 am

IMHO, the schedule makers are idiots. But for a different reason. It seems like there are a rather large amount of inter-conference games in the last month. If it were up to me, there would be none after about 3/10. Leaving a ton of conference/division match-ups with huge playoff implications.

That being said, I will be in Raleigh in a couple weeks and will more than likely hit the Canes/Caps tilt on 3/28. That could be a big one for us.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am

Heading to Saberland tonight. First game for me since going to DC for a playoff loss last year. Great seats cheap. Sabers have been shutout in their last two games.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 am

Humperdink wrote:Heading to Saberland tonight. First game for me since going to DC for a playoff loss last year. Great seats cheap. Sabers have been shutout in their last two games.

And Eichel is suspended.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Well. Tampa looked like Tampa against the Caps tonight. One thing for sure both teams play a heavy game.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:33 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Well. Tampa looked like Tampa against the Caps tonight. One thing for sure both teams play a heavy game.

Wilson, being Wilson, with a borderline hit early. That got the juices flowing for both teams. Cernak is a feisty sort for TB. And a large one at that.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 pm

pens_CT wrote: .

The same knuckle-head that scheduled 19 back-to-back games for the Penguins in 2017-18. It's the NHL. Nobody should expect rocket scientists or even triple-digit IQs in the scheduling department. :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Super Mario on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
pens_CT wrote: . Ain't that the truth

The same knuckle-head that scheduled 19 back-to-back games for the Penguins in 2017-18. It's the NHL. Nobody should expect rocket scientists or even triple-digit IQs in the scheduling department. :face:
Super Mario

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:53 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Or the morons that several years ago had Nashville finish with 6 games in 8 days. They were on the outside trying for the last playoff berth and sure did not.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:27 am

brwi wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Or the morons that several years ago had Nashville finish with 6 games in 8 days. They were on the outside trying for the last playoff berth and sure did not.

When you step back and look at the NHL as a whole, the consistent, smothering incompetence is breath-taking. You really have to work at being that willfully stupid that consistently. And they're proud of it! :face: What a bunch of :slug:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Well. Tampa looked like Tampa against the Caps tonight. One thing for sure both teams play a heavy game.

Part of that is it was their first meeting since the Caps knocked them out. The thing is, that's the Tampa achilles heal. They aren't suited up front to play a heavy game, and have spent a good portion of the season trying to prove to the brass that they were tough enough. There were plenty of rumors about Simmonds and Ferland. Are they tough enough up front? They alluded to how the Caps turned the series by laying the body on the Bolts in game 6. Then the Bolts tried to turn the tables the next game, but it wasn't their game. Both games were Holtby shutouts. Of the 14 forwards on Tampa's roster, no one stands taller than 6'1", and only JT Miller and Erne check in over 200 lbs.... They have to answer bigger, more physical teams. The Bruins would qualify. It was exposed by the Caps last year. Can you wear them down over a long series? It will be a story line in Tampa until they win a Cup with this group.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am

With Malkin out week to week, Bjugstad is probably going to have to step up and play as a #2 centerman. Hopefully he's up for the challenge. This damn injury bug...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:59 am

"Edmonton Oilers ...... delivering a gut punch to the Blue Jackets with a 4-1 victory that knocked Columbus out of the second wild card.... After adding four players at the deadline with the hope of loading up for a playoff push, the Blue Jackets are now 5-7-1 since then and things are just not working out how they’d hoped."

“We’ve talked enough,” coach John Tortorella said.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2019032 ... ayoff-spot
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Minnesota edges out the Caps... Keeps them within striking distance given their upcoming schedule.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:Minnesota edges out the Caps... Keeps them within striking distance given their upcoming schedule.

I think in the end we want Washington to be in first with the pens and isles in the 2nd and 3rd spot. Right?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Minnesota edges out the Caps... Keeps them within striking distance given their upcoming schedule.

I think in the end we want Washington to be in first with the pens and isles in the 2nd and 3rd spot. Right?

You always want the division, and the home ice for two rounds. Now, I much prefer to play the Isles, as opposed to the Caps or Canes. But the Canes may catch the Isles. The Caps and Canes have a home and home next week, then the Caps go straight to Tampa. That's when the Pens will have a better idea of their shot at the division. It's a realistic shot, but will take a 7-0 or 6-1 finish in my opinion. The Caps are a good team, and will find a few points.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins