2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2021 Season discussion (start date, # of games, etc)

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:For those who didnt watch scrimmage or see a summary, Matheson has already been moved up with Marino, and Pettersson with Ceci. I think Pens have been trying that for last 2 days. Will be interesting to see if that sticks for regular season.

I guess so long as they see Marino's role as more of defensive defensemen then I understand the change. Obviously Matheson is here for his offensive abilities on the back end, so I doubt you can have two guys thinking offense first on the same pairing. Definitely gives them more mobility on the top four.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm

My big roster questions right now, other than those long discussed all off-season, would be:

--What happens to Rodrigues when Kapanen returns? My gut tells me Lafferty is going to get screwed, but me personally, I like the lines as they were last scrimmage (except I would move Sceviour to LW and Lafferty to RW) and would have Rodrigues as a scratch.
--What happens if McCann stinks? Lafferty, Jankowski, and Tanev have all looked really good playing on that 3rd line. McCann has been kind of invisible. With Lafferty and Jankowski, I was worried that McCann may be forced to be more defensive to make up for Jankowski's lack of speed. Adding Tanev there should help...but McCann needs to be the major cog on that 3rd line.
--Will Matheson-Marino remain the 2nd pairing when the season starts?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My big roster questions right now, other than those long discussed all off-season, would be:

--What happens to Rodrigues when Kapanen returns? My gut tells me Lafferty is going to get screwed, but me personally, I like the lines as they were last scrimmage (except I would move Sceviour to LW and Lafferty to RW) and would have Rodrigues as a scratch.
--What happens if McCann stinks? Lafferty, Jankowski, and Tanev have all looked really good playing on that 3rd line. McCann has been kind of invisible. With Lafferty and Jankowski, I was worried that McCann may be forced to be more defensive to make up for Jankowski's lack of speed. Adding Tanev there should help...but McCann needs to be the major cog on that 3rd line.

They only have 12 F on the roster, so one of the F will just get scratched with Riikola and Ruhwedel. When Reese comes back in a few weeks is when the question comes up.
Sceviour or Rodrigues gets waived and moved to the taxi (someone there going to WBS)
Sceviour or Rodrigues gets waived and moved to WBS
Lafferty gets moved to the taxi (someone there going to WBS)
Lafferty gets moved to WBS
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My big roster questions right now, other than those long discussed all off-season, would be:

They only have 12 F on the roster, so one of the F will just get scratched with Riikola and Ruhwedel. When Reese comes back in a few weeks is when the question comes up.
Sceviour or Rodrigues gets waived and moved to the taxi (someone there going to WBS)

They have 12F not counting Kapanen, and only a 22 man roster. They stated when Kapanen exits COVID protocol, he will be added to the roster to put the total at 23. Nobody needs to get moved to the taxi squad, but somebody is going to lose their spot in the top 12. I'm hoping its E-Rod, but I doubt it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

They have 12F not counting Kapanen, and only a 22 man roster. They stated when Kapanen exits COVID protocol, he will be added to the roster to put the total at 23. Nobody needs to get moved to the taxi squad, but somebody is going to lose their spot in the top 12. I'm hoping its E-Rod, but I doubt it.

My comment above was for when Reese comes back.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

The reality is that injuries are likely to take care of the problem. With the quarantine rules, I'm interested to see how much movement takes place on the waiver wire, and how much movement takes place between the AHL and NHL. For Canadien teams with affiliates in the US, the recalled player would have to go through a 14 day quarantine before being available. It makes clearer JR's suggestion, since seconded by several other GM's, about a lack of trades this season.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 pm

Well the times they are a changin. Sports Forecaster has the Penguins in 7th out of 8 in our division, and both Crosby and Malkin outside of the top 10 in scoring.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:37 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Well the times they are a changin. Sports Forecaster has the Penguins in 7th out of 8 in our division, and both Crosby and Malkin outside of the top 10 in scoring.

Holy moly!

Need a rocket fueled start.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how the PP looks this year with Reirden on the bench again. IIRC, the PP was horrid against Montreal in the playoffs so assuming the PP lives up to its potential, I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Taylor Haase reporting that Larmi, Lindgren, a Drozg have all been recalled from their loans in Europe. They are all expected to make their way back to the US to report to WBS.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Not sure if anyone saw some of the player interviews over the past few days, but Geno seems really pissed off and hungry this season, based on his comments. Two main things:

--pissed off...he's not letting go of last season. Says he and the players are still angry with how their season ended against Montreal. He knows they needed to be better. Not hearing any hot goalie garbage from him.

--hungry/driven...he's well aware that no Russian-born player has ever won 4 Stanley Cups, and it seems that is probably the last big accomplishment he wants to achieve in his career. He's also aware that Crosby/Malkin/Letang probably only have 2-3 years left together to accomplish that goal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm

FYI~ the old 29'er will be on 105.9X with a new radio show , Tuesday 6:30- 7PM.

Phil Bourque
@pbourque29
·
6h
My first guest is the Olympic Gold medalist, 2 time Stanley Cup Champion and HHOFer. The Architect of the 91&92 Cup Champs. Craig Patrick
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:21 pm

E-Ramone wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how the PP looks this year with Reirden on the bench again. IIRC, the PP was horrid against Montreal in the playoffs so assuming the PP lives up to its potential, I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.

If they can replicate what they did with him last time around they’ll be fine. He has a great track record with power plays, granted he’s also had great personnel.

It won’t be the stagnant power play anymore. There will be much more movement, which I’m longing for.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 pm

In terms of goaltending, I know there are a lot of concerns about Jarry being the guy this year, and DeSmith the backup, but, consider this:

--Capitals are going with Samsonov and Copely.
--Islanders are expected to have Sorokin as their starter, but have a solid backup in Varlamov
--Rangers are going to have Shesterkin and Georgiev. 2 young guys with lots of upside but not a lot of total NHL games under their belt.
--Sabres needed an upgrade in goal. They did nothing. Hutton and Ullmark doesn't inspire confidence.
--Devils have Blackwood and Comrie (or Wedgewood, but Comrie made roster to start).
--Philly has Hart and Elliott.
--Boston has Rask and Halak.

Boston is the clear leader, with 2 solid veterans. After Boston, IMO, there is no clear cut 2nd-5th teams. I think Buffalo and NJ have the worst duo in the division. I would probably give Hart/Elliot the nod as 2nd in the division, but that's not a lock. Lots of inexperienced goaltending in our division.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:In terms of goaltending, I know there are a lot of concerns about Jarry being the guy this year, and DeSmith the backup, but, consider this:

--Islanders are expected to have Sorokin as their starter, but have a solid backup in Varlamov
--Rangers are going to have Shesterkin and Georgiev. 2 young guys with lots of upside but not a lot of total NHL games under their belt.
--Sabres needed an upgrade in goal. They did nothing. Hutton and Ullmark doesn't inspire confidence.
--Devils have Blackwood and Comrie (or Wedgewood, but Comrie made roster to start).

Boston is the clear leader, with 2 solid veterans. After Boston, IMO, there is no clear cut 2nd-5th teams. I think Buffalo and NJ have the worst duo in the division. I would probably give Hart/Elliot the nod as 2nd in the division, but that's not a lock. Lots of inexperienced goaltending in our division.

Caps are probably going with Samsonite and Vanecek. Vanecek would need to be waived to go to the taxi or AHL. They did waive Copley.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 am

murphydump55 wrote:
E-Ramone wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how the PP looks this year with Reirden on the bench again. IIRC, the PP was horrid against Montreal in the playoffs so assuming the PP lives up to its potential, I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.

If they can replicate what they did with him last time around they’ll be fine. He has a great track record with power plays, granted he’s also had great personnel.

It won’t be the stagnant power play anymore. There will be much more movement, which I’m longing for.

Absolutely!
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 am

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:In terms of goaltending, I know there are a lot of concerns about Jarry being the guy this year, and DeSmith the backup, but, consider this:

Caps are probably going with Samsonite and Vanecek. Vanecek would need to be waived to go to the taxi or AHL. They did waive Copley.

Craig Anderson is expected to go to the taxi squad. It makes sense. They like Vanecek, and there's no reason to expose him to waivers at this point. If some is injured or falters, they'll have the veteran available.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:38 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Well the times they are a changin. Sports Forecaster has the Penguins in 7th out of 8 in our division, and both Crosby and Malkin outside of the top 10 in scoring.

the NHL channel had us edging over Boston which i thought was a stretch. This is where you really see if Sullivan still owns the locker room. Other things i actually think our defense is better than last year. Still ranking our overall D in the bottom half of the league. Our top 2 lines look like we got good scorers but will that transfere to playing quality defense? Our depth on the bottom 2 lines is still a question mark. these guys need to step up and be game changers. THe odd goal goes a long way to winning games as well as bringing the energy to play. Desmith also needs to make the most of his starts, if he can steal us a few points we might have a chance of that 4th and final playoff spot. So many questions surround this team i can't blame them for ranking us that low.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 am

The biggest NHL reporter in sweden predicting the Pens division to end as following:

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
---
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 pm

This may already be on here somewhere, but is NHL Center Ice available for this season? How are other out of market fans watching the games?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm

dark_forces wrote:This may already be on here somewhere, but is NHL Center Ice available for this season? How are other out of market fans watching the games?

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-c ... center-ice

It appears that it is. 4 installments of $25.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:03 pm

FWIW. The Athletic's local writers made their picks for all 4 divisions.
https://theathletic.com/2318472/2021/01 ... 21-season/

Yohe has the Pens finishing 3rd, and going to the conference finals. Cup final is Colorado over Carolina.

Rossi has them 2nd behind the Isles and winning the cup. His Cup final is the Pens over Carolina.

Gentile has them finishing 1st. He doesn't say anything about who comes out of the division in the playoffs, but does not have them winning the Cup. His Cup final has Vegas over the Leafs.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm

PP will be critical this year. If they are still running the scripted/forced pass back to the D then it will probably continue to be as predictable as it’s been the pst few years. Maybe it will have some success but as soon as they are in a 7 game series any coach in the league can pick that apart...
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:PP will be critical this year. If they are still running the scripted/forced pass back to the D then it will probably continue to be as predictable as it’s been the pst few years. Maybe it will have some success but as soon as they are in a 7 game series any coach in the league can pick that apart...

I was flipping through channels and was watching a bit of camp stuff on AT&T Sportsnet, and they brought up a good point about Reirden.

Not only should Reirden be able to help the Penguins PP, but, he should be able to help the Penguins better defend the Caps PP since he ran it, and also give the team a good perspective on how a team like the Caps try to defend against the Penguins PP (although it should be different this year).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins