Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Politics... have at it!!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:11 pm

They're still alive because they look like the madman in the White House.
Should be removed tonight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:19 pm

I wonder how this afternoon would have gone down if these "protestors" would have been black folk.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Capital police actually letting the domestic terrorists in...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... l_rioters/

...or taking selfies with them:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/st ... 19520?s=20

If anyone thinks that this country doesn't have an inherent racism, this is all the proof you need to know that is incorrect.

If anyone thinks that the police, as a whole, don't have an identity issue that needs to be fixed, this is all the proof you need to know that is incorrect.

If anyone thinks the Republican party has any true platform aimed at democratically running this country, today is all the proof you need to know this this is incorrect.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:01 pm

Wonderful comment from Micah Cohen from FiveThirtyEight.com

"We got a poll! YouGov conducted a survey today of 1,448 registered voters, most of whom said they were aware of the events at the Capitol.

The findings are pretty amazing. Here’s one: 62 percent of registered voters see the storming of the Capitol as a threat to democracy. So, OK, that’s a majority. But nearly 1 in 3 respondents, including more than 2 in 3 Republicans, said that people threatening an actual democratic institution as it literally conducts democracy was not a threat to democracy."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/g ... n-results/
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:38 am

penny lane wrote:They're still alive because they look like the madman in the White House.
Should be removed tonight.

While I agree he shouldn’t be president anymore, I am just not sure that removing him wouldn’t cause an even greater escalation to occur. Not just at the capital.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 am

:fist:
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 am

pronovost19 wrote:
Jim wrote:These "people" that are breaking into the Senate floor and House floor... why are they still alive?

Agree violence is not the solution....however....

Where was all the rage when antifa and blm looted and rioted? There was no rage because the left agreed with it. Destroying hard-working American's businesses and stealing was "peaceful protest" to the left.

Now.... :scared:
the end of the world because people don't agree with the protest.

Can't have it both ways. Defund the Police but protect me. NOW. I demand we defund you and you protect me.

Sad thing is that many have been brainwashed by the media to think that mindset is OK. Subsequently, people with intelligence that can see through the hypocrisy are automatically racists or some other bad "thing". Whatever the "label of the day is". I label you but you cannot label anyone. So hypocritical.

There is no reset button for many of those disenfranchised Americans. They are pissed. And poo poo-ing them is going to make it worse. We will see what kind of Leader Biden is when he speaks today. The same guy that within one minute said he would work with anyone, yet once heckled called the people all chumps for disagreeing.

We need to get back to a place where it is okay to disagree with someone without their butt hurtness calling the other racist because they lost the argument. All Independents and Republicans are not racists.

I am not sure how much of this was directed "at" me, or how much of it was just talk... but...

I would have been fine with depopulation during other "riots". There is a line between protesting and standing for your beliefs (which is fine an legal), and looting, etc. People have that line at different places, but I would have been fine with depopulation happening.

However, there is a... "moment" difference between people breaking into a store on a random city street, where there is no security guard types, much less armed ones. Here, you have people smashing into an active federal building with Senators, and Reps, and other employees actively working... with armed "guards". The armed guards are there for a reason, no? Apparently only one guard knew why he was actually there. That is more what I was referring to specifically.

I personally think that defunding the police is idiotic, but I do think that a lot of LEOs need to be fired and never hired as LEOs again (too many just move to the next town and get hired). Psychological testing, and eve motivational testing, needs to be done before hiring new LEOs. The union also needs to have it's power slashed when it comes to disciplinary action. But I don't think that they should be defunded. Once they get their poo-poo together they should even be expanded.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:13 pm

I'm sure folks have seen the videos of how the thugs from yesterday were treated to how the thugs during the killing of George Floyd protests. I saw insane behavior permitted to do exactly what the despot in the oval wanted. VP had to coordinate a security plan; the president of the united states wanted no part in protecting people and the US Capitol.

But, in the end the House & Senate completed their duty.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby theblackarts on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Jim wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:
Jim wrote:These "people" that are breaking into the Senate floor and House floor... why are they still alive?

Where was all the rage when antifa and blm looted and rioted? There was no rage because the left agreed with it. Destroying hard-working American's businesses and stealing was "peaceful protest" to the left.

Can't have it both ways. Defund the Police but protect me. NOW. I demand we defund you and you protect me.

Sad thing is that many have been brainwashed by the media to think that mindset is OK. Subsequently, people with intelligence that can see through the hypocrisy are automatically racists or some other bad "thing". Whatever the "label of the day is". I label you but you cannot label anyone. So hypocritical.

There is no reset button for many of those disenfranchised Americans. They are pissed. And poo poo-ing them is going to make it worse. We will see what kind of Leader Biden is when he speaks today. The same guy that within one minute said he would work with anyone, yet once heckled called the people all chumps for disagreeing.

We need to get back to a place where it is okay to disagree with someone without their butt hurtness calling the other racist because they lost the argument. All Independents and Republicans are not racists.

I am not sure how much of this was directed "at" me, or how much of it was just talk... but...

I would have been fine with depopulation during other "riots". There is a line between protesting and standing for your beliefs (which is fine an legal), and looting, etc. People have that line at different places, but I would have been fine with depopulation happening.

However, there is a... "moment" difference between people breaking into a store on a random city street, where there is no security guard types, much less armed ones. Here, you have people smashing into an active federal building with Senators, and Reps, and other employees actively working... with armed "guards". The armed guards are there for a reason, no? Apparently only one guard knew why he was actually there. That is more what I was referring to specifically.

I personally think that defunding the police is idiotic, but I do think that a lot of LEOs need to be fired and never hired as LEOs again (too many just move to the next town and get hired). Psychological testing, and eve motivational testing, needs to be done before hiring new LEOs. The union also needs to have it's power slashed when it comes to disciplinary action. But I don't think that they should be defunded. Once they get their poo-poo together they should even be expanded.

pronovost19, the difference between the two scenarios is quite well defined and easy to understand. BLM was the boiling over of 300 years of outright and systemic racsim as well as police brutality (whether you believe that to be true or not is irrelevant), with isolated rioting and looting that was condemned by the left and right. What we saw yesterday was the sitting president of the united states incite his followers to invade and deface a US federal building in an attempt to overthrow a presidential election so that he could remain in power. The idea that you would equate the two in your head, in any way, is unfortunate. Yesterday was arguably the darkest day for American democracy since the founding of the country. This is about more than looting sir, you have to ask yourself why these protests happened and what the implications are.

Defund the police doesn't mean "take their money away," as some would lead you to believe, but rather a rerouting of some funding to better serve their communities. You can refer to the defunding that has already happened as an example. Most liberals will tell you that "defund the police" is a dumb slogan. Better hiring, better training, less union power, etc are all topics that are being discussed and implemented. Biden has personally suggested more funding to accomplish this. So, maybe this is a talking point you should drop.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:58 pm

You guys are far more civilized than this place.

http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/v ... art=170175
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Grunthy wrote:You guys are far more civilized than this place.

Ignorant ****** clowns gotta ignorant ****** clown? Or is it something else?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm

Just talk. Nothing directed at anyone on here.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:13 pm

Jim wrote:
Grunthy wrote:You guys are far more civilized than this place.

Ignorant ****** clowns gotta ignorant ****** clown? Or is it something else?

Some don’t like being challenged. I can be harsh sometimes, and I admit that.

Anyways.

This situation that happened at the capital isn’t the same as BLM. While all violence should be condemned, these **** actually threatened politicians lives.This could have ended much much worse. I am thankful it did not.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Watching Fox News, The Five. Never saw this show before. What a bunch of fools. It's like the ignore reality. Except for, maybe his name is Juan Williams... The mediator type guy asked him if he thought impeaching Trump was good or bad for the country, and was laughing while asking as he expected the party line, and Williand said good for the country. The other guy was shocked, dropped his head, and then sat there shaking his head as William's explained. The 3rd guy was sitting there stewing as he had just got done incorrectly discussing recent history, the William's drops a truth bomb instead of flat out lies.

They actually shut off Williams' mic, so he was on the 5 way split talking, but you couldn't hear him.

The last show was whining about media bias, then 10 minutes they shut off the mic of the guy not towing the propaganda line.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby theblackarts on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Jim wrote:Watching Fox News, The Five. Never saw this show before. What a bunch of fools. It's like the ignore reality. Except for, maybe his name is Juan Williams... The mediator type guy asked him if he thought impeaching Trump was good or bad for the country, and was laughing while asking as he expected the party line, and Williand said good for the country. The other guy was shocked, dropped his head, and then sat there shaking his head as William's explained. The 3rd guy was sitting there stewing as he had just got done incorrectly discussing recent history, the William's drops a truth bomb instead of flat out lies.

They actually shut off Williams' mic, so he was on the 5 way split talking, but you couldn't hear him.

The last show was whining about media bias, then 10 minutes they shut off the mic of the guy not towing the propaganda line.

Keep in mind that a significant portion of conservatives are now too "right" for Fox, if you can believe that's possible.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 pm

pronovost19 wrote:

It is funny when someone believing anything Trump says is talking about others being brainwashed ...

But I agree with one thing you wrote, we should hit the reset button, to say, before Trump was elected.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:35 pm

http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/v ... 46#p877246

If you ever want to see people’s true colors, look how they talk about you, when you can’t say anything back. I feel bad for them, since obviously I am living rent free in their heads almost two months later.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Grunthy wrote:http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19&p=877246#p877246

If you ever want to see people’s true colors, look how they talk about you, when you can’t say anything back. I feel bad for them, since obviously I am living rent free in their heads almost two months later.

I went back to check because a member from that board messaged me from their old account here. So, it is truly a sad situation.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:52 am

interstorm wrote:FYI for those who would donate (not sure why), Trump knows he lost the election and is drawing this all out to motivate his base to give him more money. More money not for any defense of the election - more money to pay off his own debts and personal use. This is the same crap as the "Build the Wall" fund.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-camp ... -debt/#app

Here's the thing about Trump - I get that people are frustrated with government, that they felt left out of any recovery from the great recession or that it shouldn't have happened (which occurred under and was caused very much because of Republican policies). But Trump was NEVER the tough guy that drains the swamp and bullies the system for the betterment of the little guy. He NEVER cared about the little guy and this is just yet again another example. He should concede the election. He knows he lost and he should ensure the transfer of power that has been an important foundation for the county's stability. But instead he ignores what is right for America and creates a false-drama that needlessly incenses his base in order to collect money under the banner of one cause but truthfully is used for a completely different one.

I think the Trump / Anti-Trump divide in this country is so wide because it is clearly apparent what his motivations are - they have been the same his whole life, he has never cared for anyone but himself and he has destroyed everything he touches. What Anti-Trumpers cannot understand is the mindset of those who stick with him, knowingly donate to false causes such as this then scream at the top of their lungs about the corruption of government. There appears to be absolutely zero rational behind following this man and those who do not cannot understand why someone would willingly eat up his rhetoric that even he doesn't believe.

I do hope as time moves on everyone can see him for the grifter he is, see this latest stunt as yet another (and hopefully last) theft from the people that trust him the most.

Trump supporters, you deserve better!

"President Donald Trump pardoned his longtime adviser Steve Bannon late Tuesday night, freeing Bannon from a possible conviction in federal court for his role in a coordinated fleecing of the president’s most loyal supporters. Bannon faced multiple fraud counts in the Southern District of New York following an August indictment for allegedly stealing funds from a charity he controlled, which purported to raise money to help build a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico."

So Trump pumps up this so called charity, gets people to donate, good friend swoops in and starts embezzling money, gets caught and instead of getting convicted -- he gets pardoned by the man who he was stealing money for!

Drain the swamp. Lol, how anyone could ever believe such garbage. Again, not saying the underlying frustrations of many people who voted for Trump aren't legitimate (at least not the racist and xenophobic ones) but how in the world did they ever think that guy listened or cared about the common man's problems. All he ever did - his whole life - was to exploit for his own benefit. If he wasn't such a stooge we'd probably have the American version of Putin. Thank God he's such an ignorant little man!

Those who voted for him need to (permanently) turn off the hate spewing so-called news they listen to and look themselves in the mirror to ask why they wanted a second term of this man. Yes, the Democrats aren't perfect and their are plenty of blood-sucking leeches in that party...but there ARE people there that do stand for improving the lives of the middle class. I hope those who voted for Trump can take an unbias look at who is truly standing for change and the honest merits of that change without the poison from their conservative (paid for by billionaires to manipulate thought) sources.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 pm

interstorm wrote:
interstorm wrote:FYI for those who would donate (not sure why), Trump knows he lost the election and is drawing this all out to motivate his base to give him more money. More money not for any defense of the election - more money to pay off his own debts and personal use. This is the same crap as the "Build the Wall" fund.

Here's the thing about Trump - I get that people are frustrated with government, that they felt left out of any recovery from the great recession or that it shouldn't have happened (which occurred under and was caused very much because of Republican policies). But Trump was NEVER the tough guy that drains the swamp and bullies the system for the betterment of the little guy. He NEVER cared about the little guy and this is just yet again another example. He should concede the election. He knows he lost and he should ensure the transfer of power that has been an important foundation for the county's stability. But instead he ignores what is right for America and creates a false-drama that needlessly incenses his base in order to collect money under the banner of one cause but truthfully is used for a completely different one.

I think the Trump / Anti-Trump divide in this country is so wide because it is clearly apparent what his motivations are - they have been the same his whole life, he has never cared for anyone but himself and he has destroyed everything he touches. What Anti-Trumpers cannot understand is the mindset of those who stick with him, knowingly donate to false causes such as this then scream at the top of their lungs about the corruption of government. There appears to be absolutely zero rational behind following this man and those who do not cannot understand why someone would willingly eat up his rhetoric that even he doesn't believe.

I do hope as time moves on everyone can see him for the grifter he is, see this latest stunt as yet another (and hopefully last) theft from the people that trust him the most.

"President Donald Trump pardoned his longtime adviser Steve Bannon late Tuesday night, freeing Bannon from a possible conviction in federal court for his role in a coordinated fleecing of the president’s most loyal supporters. Bannon faced multiple fraud counts in the Southern District of New York following an August indictment for allegedly stealing funds from a charity he controlled, which purported to raise money to help build a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico."

So Trump pumps up this so called charity, gets people to donate, good friend swoops in and starts embezzling money, gets caught and instead of getting convicted -- he gets pardoned by the man who he was stealing money for!

Drain the swamp. Lol, how anyone could ever believe such garbage. Again, not saying the underlying frustrations of many people who voted for Trump aren't legitimate (at least not the racist and xenophobic ones) but how in the world did they ever think that guy listened or cared about the common man's problems. All he ever did - his whole life - was to exploit for his own benefit. If he wasn't such a stooge we'd probably have the American version of Putin. Thank God he's such an ignorant little man!

Those who voted for him need to (permanently) turn off the hate spewing so-called news they listen to and look themselves in the mirror to ask why they wanted a second term of this man. Yes, the Democrats aren't perfect and their are plenty of blood-sucking leeches in that party...but there ARE people there that do stand for improving the lives of the middle class. I hope those who voted for Trump can take an unbias look at who is truly standing for change and the honest merits of that change without the poison from their conservative (paid for by billionaires to manipulate thought) sources.

There are people from both parties that have policies that would help the middle class without destroying other classes. Prior to the pandemic, the wealth gap I believe actually shrunk. Do you honestly believe the billionaires on the left don't manipulate thought on those other networks?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:52 pm

Grunthy wrote:
interstorm wrote:

There are people from both parties that have policies that would help the middle class without destroying other classes. Prior to the pandemic, the wealth gap I believe actually shrunk. Do you honestly believe the billionaires on the left don't manipulate thought on those other networks?

To my knowledge average income among the lowest earners rose by 3%, but the wealth gap stayed the same, which is to say it was growing pre 2016. However, median average household income slowed in it's Obama era upward trajectory. Either way, for the sake of argument, let's say it shrunk; deregulation and Trump's tax policy is not a sustainable way to shrink the wealth gap, and I think everyone knows this. However, I don't expect the Biden admin to do much in this regard. A Biden presidency is just a safe and predictable way to stop the bleeding and restore some of our political institutions while we elect representatives who will actually, you know, represent us.

Edit: to answer your last question, they undoubtedly do, but there is always the threat that the left will hold their feet to the fire on getting the facts right, which the right conveniently doesn't have to deal with.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:20 pm

theblackarts wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
interstorm wrote:

To my knowledge average income among the lowest earners rose by 3%, but the wealth gap stayed the same, which is to say it was growing pre 2016. However, median average household income slowed in it's Obama era upward trajectory. Either way, for the sake of argument, let's say it shrunk; deregulation and Trump's tax policy is not a sustainable way to shrink the wealth gap, and I think everyone knows this. However, I don't expect the Biden admin to do much in this regard. A Biden presidency is just a safe and predictable way to stop the bleeding and restore some of our political institutions while we elect representatives who will actually, you know, represent us.

Edit: to answer your last question, they undoubtedly do, but there is always the threat that the left will hold their feet to the fire on getting the facts right, which the right conveniently doesn't have to deal with.

Good luck with either party actually caring about serving the majority of Americans, not just the fringes in each party. 99% of politicians care about one thing and one thing only, their next election.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Grunthy wrote:
Good luck with either party actually caring about serving the majority of Americans, not just the fringes in each party. 99% of politicians care about one thing and one thing only, their next election.

Perhaps, but cynicism is the easy way out IMO. Gotta fight the good fight if you’re able.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 pm

Maybe I am a cynic, but I believe the two party system got us into this mess. So I don’t believe the two party system will get us out of this mess.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Grunthy wrote:Maybe I am a cynic, but I believe the two party system got us into this mess. So I don’t believe the two party system will get us out of this mess.

I think it’s much more likely that we’ll see a center right bloc and progressive left bloc than a viable third party within the next 100 years. It’s possible that a far right party could emerge but that would mean certain victory for any left party and no pressure to evolve or be accountable.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to NHR