Favorite song that you've heard today...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Stoosh on Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Don't Cry was a rock song...guitars, drums and vocals and that's it. No sythesized orchestras or anything. No excessive use of backing vocals. It was a rock ballad, and that was it...sometimes when things are simplified, they're most effective. Actually, it was one of the very first songs that GNR wrote as a band and it was supposed to be on Appetite instead of Sweet Child O' Mine. They decided to pull Don't Cry off the album and save it for the next album because they felt it would drag down the pace of Appetite (and it's true...there are no real slow ballads on Appetite). Funny how that worked out for them, as Sweet Child was the song that really pushed them to the forefront.

November Rain is a fantastic song but to me it's a little representative of the demise of the band - especially the video. I loved the video when it came out, and at the time, those epic videos was a big thing. But you could tell Axl's "vision" had taken over at that point. I remember seeing him on MTV talking to Kurt Loder about how he hoped the November Rain video would translate into a feature film or something.

I think Slash put it best when he said the rest of the band just wanted to do a rock record, while Axl was trying to remake the White Album.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spoon on Tue May 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Stoosh and Kovy27 i have 2 words for you... Rocket Queen!

Now THAT'S the best gnr song ever.

First time i really talked to Stoosh in highschool all he did was rave about Slash during a charity walk our freshman year the school had to do. In fact I think I may still have the cassette of us playing knockin on Heavens Door in my basement. Stoosh on axe and i on skins. Wait, Kovy might get excited. I was on drums.

You still have that Ace of Base tshirt? :lol:
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spoon on Tue May 23, 2006 11:16 pm

GnR Behind the Music is on VH1 right now
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 am

i have 2 words for you... Rocket Queen!

Ah yes,...Rocket Queen...far and away the best song they ever did that was not released as a single. I'd put Bad Obsession and 14 Years a very close second and third.

I'm getting another guitar...I don't know when, but I'm getting another one. I've been kicking myself since I sold my old one six years ago.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed May 24, 2006 2:32 pm

When you folks brought up the other GNR songs earlier, I was going to mention Rocket Queen. It was the first GNR sonmg that came to mind for me! But, I do love Coma and Locomotive. I think those 2 are my top fave GNR songs. Estranged is very cool as well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed May 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Best song I've heard today was Slick Rick's Childrens Story. Yesterday though, I heard Rappin' Duke by Shawn Brown.

You haven't lived until you've heard someone doing an impression of John Wayne rapping.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Wed May 24, 2006 6:08 pm

That I gotta hear. :)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BritishPenguin on Fri May 26, 2006 8:58 am

"Rapper's Delight" by Sugarhill Gang. The full-length version. Bit of an epic, but still, pure tuneage.
BritishPenguin

Previous

Return to NHR