It's Easy, Sergei

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's Easy, Sergei

Postby Mad City Mike on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:47 am

"I guess they liked something they saw," Gonchar said softly after the game.

Yes, it's called effort. Work hard every shift and you won't get booed. Simple as that.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Not quite. I was there and he was getting booed every time he rushed the puck up. Any cheers were not directed at him as that article states, but rather resulting from the pressure the team was putting on the Islanders.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rychster on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:45 pm

I heard the boos after he made some pretty bad decisions with the puck. I guess the ice surface may have had something to do with it at times but the boos did seem to be less before he made those blunders.

With a sellout crowd that may be progress.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby OldMan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:02 pm

Watch ANY player, in almost ANY game, and you'd find something to boo about if that's why you came to the game. I'm not Gonchar's biggest fan, and certainly at $5M high expectations are reasonable. But the fact that he's paying a higherprice than any other team member for this disastrous season simply isnt right. Fleury admitted that he shd have had that last goal--where are the boos? Everyone admits the Fleury still doesnt make the "big save" as often as he shd--where were the boos? Recchi was practically responsible single-handidly for those two SHGs the Sens got the other night--where are the boos? Speaking of that game, Caron was horrible--where are the boos?

I have said in other threads that everything I've heard is that Gonchar is a proud man. Let's hope that next year the story is about his "quiet strength" in not getting caught up in the negativism/criticism of this year, and making a fine comeback fromit next year.

Noone is going to eat his salary in a trade, unless we eat one just as dubious--so let's get behind the guy. Now.
OldMan

It isnt "easy" butthead

Postby OldMan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:07 pm

Oh, and by the way--statements like "it's easy" are BS from someone who obviously doesnt know anything. Really watch a game--it aint easy. And Gonchar cd play mistake free games if all we got him to do was stay back and never get beat. But that isnt what we got him to do, is it? How "easy" is it to be an offensive defensman on a team with no depth/experience, and until recently no real system? Lace 'em up smart guy.
OldMan

Postby OldMan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 pm

He "stinks"? That's the best you got?
OldMan

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:41 pm

I think that in general, booing is a terrible practice, no matter how bad the player is.

It sets a mood that is just not any fun to be a part of at all. It pretty much sends a negative vibe through the entire arena, essentially nullifying any home field advantage that may be present, and as a fan, it pisses me off to no end.

Yeah, Gonchar has been horrible this year, but I think that if you routinely harass players with booing, you might as well call yourself a yinzer.
MrKnowNothing

Postby jmh70 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:24 pm

He shouldn't be booed, but he certainly deserves plenty of criticism. His lackadaisical play and do-anything-to-avoid-a-hit mentality is painful to watch.

Still hoping for a trade...
jmh70

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:37 pm

I don't have a big problem with Gonchar. Just for his past performances alone, I would want him on my team. He has had a rough season this year, but he is still a very good offensive defenseman and he's still getting points. The only problem I have is his contract... for that much money he needs to produce more. Then again, next season could be his best ever and he could be worth it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:10 am

Any game that Gonchar does not take a penalty that negates a PENS power play is a good game for him. I would like to see him finish the season strong however. Right now, everytime I think 5 years 25 million, I want to puke.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

effort & passion Sergei

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:51 am

"Yes, it's called effort. Work hard every shift and you won't get booed. Simple as that." I'm happy Sergei had a good game...consistency
is the next step for Sergei's game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Yinzer

Postby Diddy on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:06 am

MrKnowNothing wrote:Yeah, Gonchar has been horrible this year, but I think that if you routinely harass players with booing, you might as well call yourself a yinzer.

:arrow: I boo and I am a yinzer.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins