MLB Draft - Pirates select Brad Lincoln

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

MLB Draft - Pirates select Brad Lincoln

Postby Bowser on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:10 pm

KC - Luke Hochevar
Col - Greg Reynolds
TB - Evan Longoria
Pirates - Brad Lincoln, RHP, Houston, 6' 200 lbs

big surprise Andrew Miller, top prospect passed by the poor teams.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Bowser on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:14 pm

Detroit takes Andrew Miller at #6.

I believe a huge steal for the Tigers.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:25 pm

Bowser wrote:Detroit takes Andrew Miller at #6.

I believe a huge steal for the Tigers.


Typical Pirates. Pass over the top talent because he might cost too much in order to take a "safe" college pitcher with limited upside. Gee, haven't heard that one before :cry: . The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Bowser on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:27 pm

MCM - It is typical of KC, Colorado, Tampa, and Pittsburgh to pass on a top guy but I was a little surprised Seattle let him go too at #5.

Also surprised Tampa took Longoria with their pitching problems. A top college pitcher would have been smarter considering their talent at 2B and 3B.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Bowser wrote:MCM - It is typical of KC, Colorado, Tampa, and Pittsburgh to pass on a top guy but I was a little surprised Seattle let him go too at #5.

Also surprised Tampa took Longoria with their pitching problems. A top college pitcher would have been smarter considering their talent at 2B and 3B.


His asking price is ridiculous.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Bowser wrote:Detroit takes Andrew Miller at #6.

I believe a huge steal for the Tigers.


Typical Pirates. Pass over the top talent because he might cost too much in order to take a "safe" college pitcher with limited upside. Gee, haven't heard that one before :cry: . The more things change, the more they stay the same.


From what I've read, Miller isn't a $6 mil talent. And I've never read that Lincoln's potential is "limited." In fact, most scouts have said he could get better by sticking to the mound, not playing the field.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Postby Stoosh on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:08 pm

I've heard him projected as a potential solid #2. He projects better than Bullington, and a lot of people think he might be better than Maholm. I was really hoping for Longoria given the club's need for hitters, but what could Pittsburgh do when he goes the pick before?

All in all, I like the pick. Lincoln was almost assured to go before #4, but that was apparently before Colorado fell in love with Reynolds. Baseball America is saying Miller was looking for an eight-figure signing price, and that KC was actually looking at Lincoln, too. They go on a little with some interesting info...

First, incoming general manager Dayton Moore reportedly wouldn't have Miller atop his draft board. Second, Miller is floating an eight-figure asking price. While most clubs believe he wouldn't turn down a contract similar to the $5.25 million major league deal last year's top-rated college pitcher (Mike Pelfrey) received from the Mets, many don't want to deal with the potential hassle--and the Royals are among that group. Kansas City would prefer to not exceed the $4 million bonus they paid Alex Gordon, the No. 2 pick in 2005 and a superior prospect to anyone in this draft.


http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/dr ... 61627.html

A little more interesting stuff regarding Lincoln...

Early Picks May Have Done Deals
12:46 p.m.: A source familiar with the negotiations says the teams and the players that will be picks at Nos. 2-3-4 have agreed to financial parameters. The Rockies will give Stanford righthander Greg Reynolds $3.25 million; the Devil Rays will pay Long Beach State third baseman Evan Longoria $3 million; and the Pirates will dole out $2.75 million to Houston righthander Brad Lincoln.
--Jim Callis
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,478
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Postby jmh470 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:17 pm

Did you say "hey blinkin"?
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,400
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Postby Daniel on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:37 pm

Bowser wrote:MCM - It is typical of KC, Colorado, Tampa, and Pittsburgh to pass on a top guy but I was a little surprised Seattle let him go too at #5.


You realize KC took someone who went back into the draft because he wouldn't sign with the Dodgers. He also has Scott Boras as an agent.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,109
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Goalie on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Daniel wrote:
Bowser wrote:MCM - It is typical of KC, Colorado, Tampa, and Pittsburgh to pass on a top guy but I was a little surprised Seattle let him go too at #5.


You realize KC took someone who went back into the draft because he wouldn't sign with the Dodgers. He also has Scott Boras as an agent.


Gammons just said on Baseball Tonight that Miller was trying to drive his asking price up so high that he would fall to the Red Sox, who he had come to a deal with at some point this morning.

This is just a reminder for anyone who thinks baseball has its financial situation under control and is meant to benefit all teams.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,580
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 pm

The baseball draft has to be one of the biggest jokes in pro sports. In my opinion a lot of the stuff that seems to go on is nothing short of tampering.

That said, it looks like the Pirates got a good player. Baseball America had Lincoln at #3 I think.

From what I read Lincoln has 3 great pitches and is actually one of the closest to the majors.
MrKnowNothing
 

Postby Rocco on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:56 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:The baseball draft has to be one of the biggest jokes in pro sports. In my opinion a lot of the stuff that seems to go on is nothing short of tampering.



Um, no. It's not tampering because no one is under contract yet, so there's nothing to tamper with. While the NFL has rules about negotiating with players prior to the draft (only the team w/the first overall pick can do it, since they're technically on the clock), MLB has no such rules.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,040
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:18 pm

Rocco wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:The baseball draft has to be one of the biggest jokes in pro sports. In my opinion a lot of the stuff that seems to go on is nothing short of tampering.



Um, no. It's not tampering because no one is under contract yet, so there's nothing to tamper with. While the NFL has rules about negotiating with players prior to the draft (only the team w/the first overall pick can do it, since they're technically on the clock), MLB has no such rules.


I know that there aren't any rules against it. I just find the whole thing a little screwy.
MrKnowNothing
 


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, blackjack68, stonyman and 7 guests


e-mail