The New Math

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The New Math

Postby CT Mechanic on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:04 pm

We have to beat Ghana, tie is unacceptable.

And Italy has to beat the Czechs, tie is unacceptable.

And with that, we advance to Round 2...

And I bet that referee never, ever officiates at the international level ever again...
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:07 pm

Definitely possible, although it would be nice if the US could put a ball in the net off one of their own feet. Good news about the red card situation is that Pope will be out for this game...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CT Mechanic on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:13 pm

If Italy and Czechs tie, then we need to beat Ghana by 4 goals to break the tie with the Czechs and go on to Round 2.

Ghana lost their best player to a red card today, but it' still a long shot for us to get up by 4 on them. We really need Italy to just win it and be done with it.
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Draftnik on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:25 pm

CT Mechanic wrote:If Italy and Czechs tie, then we need to beat Ghana by 4 goals to break the tie with the Czechs and go on to Round 2.

Ghana lost their best player to a red card today, but it' still a long shot for us to get up by 4 on them. We really need Italy to just win it and be done with it.

Czech looked incredibly slow up the middle today so I could see Italy getting tons of quality chances if they attack. The Czech keeper from Chelsea is unbelievable though. I thought Eisen(sp?) from Chelsea is the best player for Ghana. Does he have 2 yellows? I didn't see him get a red.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:36 pm

The Czechs are also out of useful strikers- Lokvenc (sp? I'm too lazy to look it up :) ) picked up a yellow and is out. Baros and Koller are hurt. That makes things tougher for them.

Essien was booked today but he wasn't booked in the first match, so he'll be available unfortunately. The US will miss Mastroeni. As for Pope...

"Well, I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob."- Office Space
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh470 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:01 pm

pfim wrote:Good news about the red card situation is that Pope will be out for this game...

Indeed. Conrad for Pope needed to happen at HT.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:53 pm

jmh470 wrote:
pfim wrote:Good news about the red card situation is that Pope will be out for this game...

Indeed. Conrad for Pope needed to happen at HT.

When the Italian coach pulled Totti, the announcers were confused (not hard for them); it made sense to me- Totti already had a yellow, and has a reputation for diving and petulance (both of which are cardable offenses) with a ref who turned into a hanging judge. And I'm hardly any sort of expert on soccer, nor do I hold myself out as one- but I've played enough Championship Manager to know to pull guys with yellow cards before they pick up a red card. :) Lippi removed a liability to give his team a chance. With Pope carrying a yellow and the ref throwing cards around, Arena could have protected Pope (and his sagging reputation) by subbing him out. Unfortunately, I think Arena is trying to emulate Lloyd McClendon by showing a complete inability to understand the situation and adjust accordingly on the fly with no in-game strategy at all. I'd say he was being Sven-esque, but Arena at least got a good performance out of the boys today, which is more than Sven has done this tournament.

Here's hoping the US can put in a strong performance against Ghana, regardless of the result. If they play well and lose to a determined side, so be it. If they come out flat and sleepwalk, there are problems.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:38 am

The yellow for Lokvenc is a blessing, as imho Sionko is the far superior player. Lokvenc is not even a poor man's Koller, he's a lamppost.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rob UK Pen on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:31 am

Rocco wrote:.....I'm hardly any sort of expert on soccer, nor do I hold myself out as one- but I've played enough Championship Manager to know....

Is there a better way to hone your managerial skills? :wink:

I think playing CM should be compulsory for all wannabe football coaches / managers.
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:09 am

The collection of players Chelsea has is unbelievable. I've only been following the EPL for the past 1.5 seasons but I knew they had an incredible roster and spent tons of Pounds (how do you do the symbol on a US laptop?) on salaries and transfer fees.

The WC has put their roster in an entirely different context for me. They basically have their pick of the best players off almost any country's roster in the world.

Why haven't they picked up Rhonaldino(sp?) yet?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 am

Draftnik wrote:Why haven't they picked up Ronaldinho yet?

They've tried...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 108745.stm
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rob UK Pen on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Draftnik wrote:The WC has put their roster in an entirely different context for me. They basically have their pick of the best players off almost any country's roster in the world.

Yet they failed where it probably mattered most - in the Champions League.

I think many people forget that when Roman Abramovich bought the club they were affectively bankrupt with around £80million of debt. The club, never regarded as one of the bigger ones in England, was dead in the water when he took over, but by investing heavily he has bought success. Is this going to be sustainable? I have my doubts, but whilst ever Abramovich is prepared to throw money at the team they will always be there or there abouts. If he ever decides to plug the plug or move on they will sink without a trace.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 63,00.html
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR