Kessel or Johnson?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kessel or Johnson?

Postby Mountaineer on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:24 pm

I think Johnson would be the better choice, primarily because of the Pens depth at the center position. That said, there really are no true goal scorers in the organization other than maybe Salmonsson, so perhaps Kessel would be the way to go? Either would benefit the Pens, but having a true #1 defenseman (one who can play both offense and defense) is something they've never had, and still do not. Whitney has been somewhat of a disappointment, especially in the defensive zone, and we don't know what to expect of Welch, Lannon, etc. Johnson has all the tools, no question about it.
Mountaineer

Postby Tocchet on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:29 pm

The Pens desperately need scoring help on the wings, so whatever fills that gaping void would be the right move.

I think the Pens' elite center depth, as well as blueline depth, is pretty good right now and just needs to age/mature/gain experience.

But those wings....wow, does it look bad.

Filewich, Moulson, Salomassen (sp), Ouellet, Surovy, Malone. Yowsers is that an awful list.

Hopefully Anshakov is smart enough to come over next year to play in the AHL instead of wasting his time in Russia as he has this past season. Then we can determine what exactly talent he has, and whether that talent can make it in the NHL.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:42 pm

Kessel. We need goal scorers REALLY bad.

oh and speaking of anshakov, i think i read that he got kicked off the team he was playing for in russia. Dont know what that is about.
Last edited by FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:48 pm

With the way this team is playing... we will most likely get to pick no lower than second...

Us and St. Louis, the race is on.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby randy on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 pm

niether

move the pick for an established 23-26 yr old(s) that can step in with the guys here now

I know...iknow......ive already said this
randy

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 pm

I'm almost hoping we pick #2 so the choice is made for us in regards to Kessel and Johnson. But I'd be OK at 3 with Toews or Staal as well. I just want this season to end respectable. I can handle losing like we have the last game vs the Isles but I don't want to see us embarassed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh70 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:08 pm

It doesn't matter much. This team needs both blueliners and goal scorers.

That said, I would prefer Johnson. I think Kessel is a bit one dimensional.
jmh70

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Don't forget about Michael Frolik, the 6', 180 lb Czech left winger. Has has been ranked as high as #2, though he's down now because of a poor showing at World Juniors. He could make his way back up the list by draft day.

It would be tough to pass on a good skating, right-handed, 6'5", 227 lb defenseman though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:55 pm

If Johnson is still on the board when the Penguins pick, they have to take him.

Otherwise, I'd like to see them get Frolik. Kessel is really good, but I'd rather have Frolik at this point.

A lot can change between February and June, though.
MrKnowNothing

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins