Benz Reports Malone prefers Malkin over Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Matthew Monstar on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:31 am

Gaucho wrote:The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...


Trade crosby!!!!!!
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:32 am

Tico Rick wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Spikey wrote:There's no question he's been playing better with Malkin, but if the reason why he prefers it is because Geno is less demanding than Sid, that doesn't say much for Malone.


I was thinking the same thing.

In other words malone wants to coast some shifts/games. Where as Crosby doesn't expect his linemates to do that.


I don't think that is what Benz was implying. He seemed to be implying that Crosby is harder on players who fumble a pass and don't bury scoring chances. Malkin is more of a "we'll get 'em next time" type of guy. (This is what I gathered from what Benz said, he didn't say this word for word.)


That's how I would interpret it. To say that Malone doesn't like playing with Crosby because he wants to float is ridiculous. I can imagine Crosby being a much more difficult guy to play with than Malkin is, and part if it has to do with not being able to keep up with Crosby's speed. Malkin has the ability to slow the game down, the way Mario did, but Crosby's game is all about speed. Unfortunately, we've never had a quality goal scorer with speed to go with Crosby.


He's older, but before Jason Blake got sick, I thought he might just
be an ideal wing for Sid. Evgeni, Colby, and Andy Hilbert most
productive with Sidney...? Speed and willingness to go to front
of the net and the corners.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,091
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby Spikey on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 am

WRT my original post, I wasn't necessarily saying that I thought it was an admission of laziness, just that it would be a really dumb thing for Malone to say. There are plenty of positive reasons that he could cite for prefering to play with Geno that wouldn't stir up controversy or reflect poorly on him.

It's probably irrelevant either way, because I would highly doubt that Malone has ever actually come right out and said anything of the sort. And even if he did, it was probably a private conversation with another player that said player would never repeat to someone like Tim Benz.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,658
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:56 am
Location: North Fayette

Postby bigkam on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 am

Pretty obvious that both Malkin and Sid are extreme competitors. But it also seems obvious that Malkin is much more laid back than Sid, and even if he doesn't say anything after a botched scoring chance (for example), his disgust is written all over his face at times. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it sure seems like Malkin is a little more laid-back than Sid when it comes down to it.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,487
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: Surrounded by Craps and Cryers' fans.

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am

Gaucho wrote:The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...

:lol:

Gretzky made his linemates better, but his linemates were already pretty good to start with.

Lemieux made his linemates better, but that doesn't mean he could get Bob Errey to more than ~20 goals a season.

You can't draw blood from a stone. Ryan Malone, for all the wonderful chemistry he now has with Malkin, is still on pace for a 49 point season. He's a nice player to have when he's working hard, but he's not Jari Kurri. When they get Crosby some linemates who can play the game at his speed, then watch him make them better.

I do find it funny that an anonymous statement supposedly made to one of the more disreputable sports "journalists" in Pittsburgh has morphed in this thread into some iron-clad proof that Malone hates playing with Crosby and that Crosby is TEH JERK to his linemates.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am
Location: ...

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:52 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...

:lol:

Gretzky made his linemates better, but his linemates were already pretty good to start with.

Lemieux made his linemates better, but that doesn't mean he could get Bob Errey to more than ~20 goals a season.

You can't draw blood from a stone. Ryan Malone, for all the wonderful chemistry he now has with Malkin, is still on pace for a 49 point season. He's a nice player to have when he's working hard, but he's not Jari Kurri. When they get Crosby some linemates who can play the game at his speed, then watch him make them better.

I do find it funny that an anonymous statement supposedly made to one of the more disreputable sports "journalists" in Pittsburgh has morphed in this thread into some iron-clad proof that Malone hates playing with Crosby and that Crosby is TEH JERK to his linemates.


I agree, I agree. I wasn't really serious.... :oops:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,810
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Postby kirk on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:57 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...

:lol:

Gretzky made his linemates better, but his linemates were already pretty good to start with.

Lemieux made his linemates better, but that doesn't mean he could get Bob Errey to more than ~20 goals a season.

You can't draw blood from a stone. Ryan Malone, for all the wonderful chemistry he now has with Malkin, is still on pace for a 49 point season. He's a nice player to have when he's working hard, but he's not Jari Kurri. When they get Crosby some linemates who can play the game at his speed, then watch him make them better.

I do find it funny that an anonymous statement supposedly made to one of the more disreputable sports "journalists" in Pittsburgh has morphed in this thread into some iron-clad proof that Malone hates playing with Crosby and that Crosby is TEH JERK to his linemates.


Homer, that was kind of my point. Sid is up tempo. He can make up tempo guys who are glorified third liners better. But, where he struggles, relatively speaking, is with slower skilled guys. Malkin is the opposite, I think.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 am

HomerPenguin wrote:I do find it funny that an anonymous statement supposedly made to one of the more disreputable sports "journalists" in Pittsburgh has morphed in this thread into some iron-clad proof that Malone hates playing with Crosby and that Crosby is TEH JERK to his linemates.


Being that Benz is in the locker-room quite a bit, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his reporting.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,720
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 am

Gaucho wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The label "makes his linesmates better" seems to better fit Malkin than Crosy. Uh oh...

:lol:

Gretzky made his linemates better, but his linemates were already pretty good to start with.

Lemieux made his linemates better, but that doesn't mean he could get Bob Errey to more than ~20 goals a season.

You can't draw blood from a stone. Ryan Malone, for all the wonderful chemistry he now has with Malkin, is still on pace for a 49 point season. He's a nice player to have when he's working hard, but he's not Jari Kurri. When they get Crosby some linemates who can play the game at his speed, then watch him make them better.

I do find it funny that an anonymous statement supposedly made to one of the more disreputable sports "journalists" in Pittsburgh has morphed in this thread into some iron-clad proof that Malone hates playing with Crosby and that Crosby is TEH JERK to his linemates.


I agree, I agree. I wasn't really serious.... :oops:

Ah, Gaucho, that last part wasn't directed at you, sorry. I figured you had to be at least half tongue-in-cheek there.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am
Location: ...

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:08 am

First of all, Colby "thrives" with nobody.

And Sid has a right to be frustrated with his linemates. Until empty suit Shero gets Sid a scoring winger, he will not develop as quickly as he should. Sid took less pay so that management could surround him with talent, he didn't have to do that. In my book, he is a class act, not some spoiled diva who demands things from teammates.

All this team needs is one defensive d-man and one goal-scorer. That is all. If they don't get either, I would be infuriated if I were Sid.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,047
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Spikey wrote:There's no question he's been playing better with Malkin, but if the reason why he prefers it is because Geno is less demanding than Sid, that doesn't say much for Malone.


I was thinking the same thing.

In other words malone wants to coast some shifts/games. Where as Crosby doesn't expect his linemates to do that.


I don't think that is what Benz was implying. He seemed to be implying that Crosby is harder on players who fumble a pass and don't bury scoring chances. Malkin is more of a "we'll get 'em next time" type of guy. (This is what I gathered from what Benz said, he didn't say this word for word.)


Except for the Ott game when he destroyed his stick off the boards after some missed opportunities...which is a good thing, he's got that killer instinct and wants to bury everything.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Postby crzymike on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:11 am

Malkin is likely easier to play with. When he gets frustrated its usually st himself (geno). Sid I believe is a little different in the sense where he wants to muck it up more then most superstars. A player like Colby or as Sid apparently said Daniel Alfredsson would be good linemates (moreso with a guy like alfredsson obviously). Geno has played well and successfully with MO,Staal,Malone,Sykora,MAX (briefly), Ovechkin back in Russia. There both great centers but I believe there is a CERTAIN type that Sid needs where as Geno can kind of complement several different types of players.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby malkinsenglishteacher on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 am

I heard what Benz said and I interpreted a bit different. I heard it as some on the team see it as a mistake to move Malone on Sid's line from a production stand point. Maybe I am wrong....
malkinsenglishteacher
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:16 am

RxBandit66 wrote:First of all, Colby "thrives" with nobody.

And Sid has a right to be frustrated with his linemates. Until empty suit Shero gets Sid a scoring winger, he will not develop as quickly as he should. Sid took less pay so that management could surround him with talent, he didn't have to do that. In my book, he is a class act, not some spoiled diva who demands things from teammates.

All this team needs is one defensive d-man and one goal-scorer. That is all. If they don't get either, I would be infuriated if I were Sid.


Guess you didn't watch the stretch of 10 games or so when Colby was racking up some points before Sid got hurt and Colby got sick...but go ahead, grind that ax.

It's hysterical that people can't wrap their head around a simple concept...

Signing Malkin > Signing this illusive "scoring winger" for Sid...

Find me a "scoring winger" that can be had for a reasonable cost (not the 6-7 years at $7+ million that an elite scoring winger in his prime is going to ask for...)

If TB isn't a perfect example of why you shouldn't spend all your money on 3 guys, I don't know what is...
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,948
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Postby brwi on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am

The Malone-Malkin-Sykora line has been real quiet the last 3 games and I'm not so sure that breaking them up once Sid returns is sacrilege.

As far as what was allegedly said, so far this year we've seen a lot of reports saying the players were revolting against MT, Roberts demanded a trade(which he said was ridiculous), Sydor demanded a trade, the locker room atmosphere was terrible..blah, blah, blah. In the midst of all that, Pens start playing lights-out hockey and winning very consistently.

I don't place a lot of faith in anonymous sources and media stories when they have nothing else to write about. The media sees a lot of hockey interest because of the trade deadline and try to capitalize on that. Since the Pens haven't done anything yet, they force-out a story Like the roberts' saga last night or this Malone bit. Blah.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,135
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 am

Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby phi83mark on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:26 am

soljaheas wrote:
canaan wrote:+tim benz is the man+


I don't like him much.


Tim Benz is not even close to being the man. He's a freakin dork.
phi83mark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby canaan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am

phi83mark wrote:
soljaheas wrote:
canaan wrote:+tim benz is the man+


I don't like him much.


Tim Benz is not even close to being the man. He's a freakin dork.


um, hence the sarcasm plus signs. :wink:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,239
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: H2S

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 am

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Guess you didn't watch the stretch of 10 games or so when Colby was racking up some points before Sid got hurt and Colby got sick...but go ahead, grind that ax.



Racked up points? Colby's never wracked up points in his entire life. And frankly, he never will.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 am

Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


Ha, some fans can't quite grasp Sid's intensity.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,091
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am

penny lane wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


Ha, some fans can't quite grasp Sid's intensity.


There is such a thing as being too intense.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,720
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Postby peterleefan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


The wingers that Lemieux helped put on the map (Warren Young - Robbie Brown) are well documented.....Will Sid ever make an obscure winger a household name? We always hear how he makes his teammates better - but he hasnt made anyone better ala Warren Young..........
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Mon Valley

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:54 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


Ha, some fans can't quite grasp Sid's intensity.


There is such a thing as being too intense.


Jordan won 6 titles with his intensity. None of this suggests that Sid dresses his teammates down as Jordan did, but based on the way Malone drifted though the first several years of his career he should be the last guy to call anybody out for being too intense.

Maybe Sid should adopt the I don't care about playing hard every game until I'm 27 and need to have a big year to cash in on UFA mentality Malone seemed to adopt this season. :roll:
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 am

I could see this being true. Sid is the utmost competitor, as hard on his linemates as he is himself. That is why it is so important to find the right wingers for him -- someone(s) who will not be so intimidated by his presence. The same thing happened to Mario over the years.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,902
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby brwi on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:12 am

Draftnik wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


Ha, some fans can't quite grasp Sid's intensity.


There is such a thing as being too intense.


Jordan won 6 titles with his intensity. None of this suggests that Sid dresses his teammates down as Jordan did, but based on the way Malone drifted though the first several years of his career he should be the last guy to call anybody out for being too intense.

Maybe Sid should adopt the I don't care about playing hard every game until I'm 27 and need to have a big year to cash in on UFA mentality Malone seemed to adopt this season. :roll:


Totally agree. Prior to this year, the words "Malone" and "intensity" were mutually exclusive and I'm glad he's lifted his game a lot.

As far as whether the media story is true or not, I'm not ready to say I believe it and that Malone said/thinks that way.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,135
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, DesertPenguin, Fire0nice228, GSdrums87, It'sagreatdayforhockey!, OKpensfan247, Pavement, pens_CT, TPW and 24 guests


e-mail