Benz Reports Malone prefers Malkin over Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:20 pm

peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


The wingers that Lemieux helped put on the map (Warren Young - Robbie Brown) are well documented.....Will Sid ever make an obscure winger a household name? We always hear how he makes his teammates better - but he hasnt made anyone better ala Warren Young..........


What did he do with Colby and Hilbert his first season?

The NHL was joke when Lemieux entered the league. Nobody played defense. The tempo of the game was incredibly slow. Goalies sucked. There was no puck pressure. Scoring was infinitely easier back then.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby kirk on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 pm

brwi wrote:The Malone-Malkin-Sykora line has been real quiet the last 3 games and I'm not so sure that breaking them up once Sid returns is sacrilege.

As far as what was allegedly said, so far this year we've seen a lot of reports saying the players were revolting against MT, Roberts demanded a trade(which he said was ridiculous), Sydor demanded a trade, the locker room atmosphere was terrible..blah, blah, blah. In the midst of all that, Pens start playing lights-out hockey and winning very consistently.

I don't place a lot of faith in anonymous sources and media stories when they have nothing else to write about. The media sees a lot of hockey interest because of the trade deadline and try to capitalize on that. Since the Pens haven't done anything yet, they force-out a story Like the roberts' saga last night or this Malone bit. Blah.

Brad


Brad, Malone-Malkin-Sykora was anything but quiet against Montreal. The line may have been held off the scoresheet against Ottawa, but that was because people didn't finish and because of a few timely Emery saves. But, the line dictated play throughout that game too. Against San Jose, the line was quiet. So, the Malone-Malkin-Sykora line pretty much dictated play against two of the top teams in the East when those teams were focused on shutting down Malkin. Why not get Sid that winger and put teams like those, teams in the weaker East that lack shutdown types on defense, into a pick your poison situation that the Pens haven't had since the Mario-Francis 1-2 punch?
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby peterleefan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Draftnik wrote:
peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


The wingers that Lemieux helped put on the map (Warren Young - Robbie Brown) are well documented.....Will Sid ever make an obscure winger a household name? We always hear how he makes his teammates better - but he hasnt made anyone better ala Warren Young..........


What did he do with Colby and Hilbert his first season?

The NHL was joke when Lemieux entered the league. Nobody played defense. The tempo of the game was incredibly slow. Goalies sucked. There was no puck pressure. Scoring was infinitely easier back then.


Hilbert had 7 goals in 19 games - projects to 29 goals
Armstrong - 16 goals in 47 games - projects to 27 goals

Good numbers...........Cant argue with that.........But not great numbers.....Warren Young had 40 goals - left via FA for Detroit and was back in the minors a year later......Young spent 9 years in the minors before becoming Lemieux's LW.....Rob Brown had 49 goals/66 assists in 88-89....

Crosby is a one-of-a-kind - dont confuse this comparison with me trying to downplay Crosby's talent...But,at this stage of his career, he just hasnt been able to elevate the play of teammates to the extent that Lemieux did.....The projected numbers for Hilbert and Armstrong in 05-06 are good but they dont jump off the page like Warren Young and Rob Brown.....
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Mon Valley

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Armstrong's numbers that year were a complete fluke that will not be duplicated.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Armstrong's numbers that year were a complete fluke that will not be duplicated.


Possibly because Sid lifted him to that level??
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,143
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby peterleefan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 pm

newarenanow wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:Armstrong's numbers that year were a complete fluke that will not be duplicated.


Possibly because Sid lifted him to that level??


of course it is...........but the numbers arent obscene like Warren Young's 40 goals for a career minor-leaguer.....I knew this board would take this and make it out like Im saying Crosby is a slug..........
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Mon Valley

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:01 pm

peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


The wingers that Lemieux helped put on the map (Warren Young - Robbie Brown) are well documented.....Will Sid ever make an obscure winger a household name? We always hear how he makes his teammates better - but he hasnt made anyone better ala Warren Young..........


What did he do with Colby and Hilbert his first season?

The NHL was joke when Lemieux entered the league. Nobody played defense. The tempo of the game was incredibly slow. Goalies sucked. There was no puck pressure. Scoring was infinitely easier back then.


Hilbert had 7 goals in 19 games - projects to 29 goals
Armstrong - 16 goals in 47 games - projects to 27 goals

Good numbers...........Cant argue with that.........But not great numbers.....Warren Young had 40 goals - left via FA for Detroit and was back in the minors a year later......Young spent 9 years in the minors before becoming Lemieux's LW.....Rob Brown had 49 goals/66 assists in 88-89....

Crosby is a one-of-a-kind - dont confuse this comparison with me trying to downplay Crosby's talent...But,at this stage of his career, he just hasnt been able to elevate the play of teammates to the extent that Lemieux did.....The projected numbers for Hilbert and Armstrong in 05-06 are good but they dont jump off the page like Warren Young and Rob Brown.....


Rob Brown led the WHL in scoring as a JR player or he was close to it. The numbers guys put up in those days are straight from a video game. It is much harder to score 40 goals now than it was in the 80s. I would never say Crosby is as talented as Lemieux, but the flip side of that coin is Crosby has an unmatched work/conditioning/playing ethic and he will end up draining every last drop of potential to maximize his career. I'm old enough (43) to have watched Lemieux's entire career and as much courage and heart as he showed playing though back pain/injuries and coming back from cancer he never approached the game with close to the same ferocity as Sid.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby peterleefan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Draftnik wrote:
peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
peterleefan wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


The wingers that Lemieux helped put on the map (Warren Young - Robbie Brown) are well documented.....Will Sid ever make an obscure winger a household name? We always hear how he makes his teammates better - but he hasnt made anyone better ala Warren Young..........


What did he do with Colby and Hilbert his first season?

The NHL was joke when Lemieux entered the league. Nobody played defense. The tempo of the game was incredibly slow. Goalies sucked. There was no puck pressure. Scoring was infinitely easier back then.


Hilbert had 7 goals in 19 games - projects to 29 goals
Armstrong - 16 goals in 47 games - projects to 27 goals

Good numbers...........Cant argue with that.........But not great numbers.....Warren Young had 40 goals - left via FA for Detroit and was back in the minors a year later......Young spent 9 years in the minors before becoming Lemieux's LW.....Rob Brown had 49 goals/66 assists in 88-89....

Crosby is a one-of-a-kind - dont confuse this comparison with me trying to downplay Crosby's talent...But,at this stage of his career, he just hasnt been able to elevate the play of teammates to the extent that Lemieux did.....The projected numbers for Hilbert and Armstrong in 05-06 are good but they dont jump off the page like Warren Young and Rob Brown.....


Rob Brown led the WHL in scoring as a JR player or he was close to it. The numbers guys put up in those days are straight from a video game. It is much harder to score 40 goals now than it was in the 80s. I would never say Crosby is as talented as Lemieux, but the flip side of that coin is Crosby has an unmatched work/conditioning/playing ethic and he will end up draining every last drop of potential to maximize his career. I'm old enough (43) to have watched Lemieux's entire career and as much courage and heart as he showed playing though back pain/injuries and coming back from cancer he never approached the game with close to the same ferocity as Sid.


You and I are the same age.......So I know where youre coming from.........I agree with you...........I can only imagine what numbers Lemieux might have put up if he did have Crosby's work ethic and dedication to conditioning.........
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Mon Valley

Postby louie on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 pm

What I don't get is why Therrien doesn't ask Crosby and Malkin who they would like to have on their line. I mean right now, you don't break up Malkin, Malone and Sykora. Plain and simple.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:04 pm
Location: Steubenville, OH

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:11 pm

louie wrote:What I don't get is why Therrien doesn't ask Crosby and Malkin who they would like to have on their line. I mean right now, you don't break up Malkin, Malone and Sykora. Plain and simple.


I'm sure it's been done. I'm sure it's been done just out of true MT nature. :)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Guinness on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:You can't draw blood from a stone.


"A garbage can could score 50 goals playing on his wing."

--Marc Bergevin, on playing on Mario Lemieux's wing in youth hockey.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Draftnik wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Sid = Mike Jordan. The most talented player with the best work ethic and highest intensity. I'm sure he has trouble understanding why others don't care as much as he does or approach things with the same commitment to excellence.

I don't doubt that there is an element of truth to this.

I can't wait to see a healthy Sid now that Geno has emerged from Sid's shadow. I think we will see Sid playing at a higher level than he has in the past based on Geno looking so good while Sid was out. Sid is the ultimate competitor.

Some teammates are probably intimidated around that type of intensity.


Ha, some fans can't quite grasp Sid's intensity.


There is such a thing as being too intense.


Jordan won 6 titles with his intensity. None of this suggests that Sid dresses his teammates down as Jordan did, but based on the way Malone drifted though the first several years of his career he should be the last guy to call anybody out for being too intense.

Maybe Sid should adopt the I don't care about playing hard every game until I'm 27 and need to have a big year to cash in on UFA mentality Malone seemed to adopt this season. :roll:


There is a significant difference between playing intense, and intense leadership. I don't think Malone or anyone believes that Sid plays too intense, they are referring to his leadership style.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,700
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Postby beachinit on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Tim Benz is more worthless than Mark Madden. Benz lately is trying to tell every GM how to do his job. All that matter's is chemistry on a given line. If Malone feels and plays better with Makin then that is great. Benz will say anything to try and get a piece of morning ratings
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:There is a significant difference between playing intense, and intense leadership. I don't think Malone or anyone believes that Sid plays too intense, they are referring to his leadership style.


Under what circumstances about anything related to hockey would Malone be given the benefit of the doubt about being right about something before Sid?

Just because Malone and/or others allegedly think something about Sid doesn't mean they would be right and he is wrong.

Given the way Malone sleepwalked through the past few seasons before this season he should be one of the last NHLers to question anybody's leadership.

Sid is approaching his 2nd NHL playoff. He still doesn't have a playoff proven goalie and other parts of the team are far from mature. It is years too early to be questioning whether he is right or wrong in his leadership style. If he rubs people the wrong way it most likely is a situation where the Bulls had to rid themselves of weak minded teammates and get mentally strong guys to win titles with Jordan.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Erin on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:05 pm

I'm on the fence with this one. If you watch that Inside Pens Hockey episode, they mention playing wtih Sid. Ryan has kind of an uncomfortable look on his face, like it is hard work. However, I've also seen them off the ice and they're friends. Malone has never done well under pressure so it makes sense that he plays better on Malkin's line.

Then again, Tim Benz also apparently mentioned something about Malone's wife and her background that was totally untrue. So, it is hard to say.
Erin
 

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail