Who is the "WORST" goalie to EVER wear a Pens jers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who is the "WORST" goalie to EVER wear a Pens jers

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 am

In your opinion who was the worst goalie to ever play for the big club. For any amount of time at any time in history, and why??

my pick is Greg Millen!
Oh man I can't even remember what year it was but I can remember that he was painful to watch, he must have been crying behind that mask. If I remember correctly it was 89-90 and the Pens were looking for a steal of a deal goal- tender. Millen was at the end of his career and I think CP played him for like 1 1/2 games. He gave up like 12 goals. He looked litterally stunned when he made a save!!
NIN

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 am

does t-bound and his short career here count... i dont remember or dont want to remember any of the late 80s teams... but from what i hear not to great!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:14 am

i always thought SKUDRA was a cool name to see on the back of a jersey....tough question
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:19 am

Good thread idea!

You sure you don't mean Alain Chevrier? Millen played a bunch of games over a few seasons if I remember right, and fits your time period better.

At any rate, my vote goes to Chevrier, if for no other reason than he deserves to be mentioned here.

Man does this bring back memories though. Jimmy Rutherford gets the award for coolest looking Pens goalie ever. Blue mask with the blue jersey.

Tabaracci obviously isn't even in the running. Legendary.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:23 am

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Good thread idea!

You sure you don't mean Alain Chevrier? Millen played a bunch of games over a few seasons if I remember right, and fits your time period better.

At any rate, my vote goes to Chevrier, if for no other reason than he deserves to be mentioned here.

Man does this bring back memories though. Jimmy Rutherford gets the award for coolest looking Pens goalie ever. Blue mask with the blue jersey.

Tabaracci obviously isn't even in the running. Legendary.

OH MAN thats right! I was sure it was Millen but I think your right. Unless it was a second stint by Millen at the end of his career?? I'll research it tommarrow but either way they are both candidates for worst ever. Thibault isnt a bad pick either!
NIN

Postby Reilly on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:51 am

no love for Martin Brochu?
Reilly

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 am

Doesn't Garth Snow at least deserve to be mentioned here? I've never seen a less mobile goaltender. If the puck was shot 2 inches to either side of his glove, it was going in the net.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:35 am

I'm sure some of you will defend him, but Aubin was dreadful. He lacked anything resembling goaltender skills and constantly crumbled under pressure.

And how about Sabourin? I don't think I've ever seen a worse debut in any sport.
jmh70

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 am

I go back a lot longer than most of you, but one of the worst ever was a guy named Andy Brown from the early 70s. He didn't wear a mask, which was amusing, but he didn't stop the puck either. He liked to get into fights (different era) in those days of bench-clearing brawls, and once he got ejected from a game out of town (I think Detroit), and as he was getting booed from the fans, he bent over at the waist, shoving his ass up in the air while pointing at it with his fingers. I guess it was sort of a "kiss my ass" gesture. Crowd went nuts.

Ah, old time hockey.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:07 am

I believe Brochu only gave up a single goal in his only game here, which can hardly be called a failure unless he only played for 30 seconds. :lol:

My vote goes to t-blow/t-bound/t-bag or any other variation on his name. I'm just surprised there was no mention of Phillipe Derouville?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RedLightDistrict on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:09 am

I've been a fan since 86 and Petr Skudra made me shudder like to other goaltender.

Though Tbo annoyed the heck out of me with all those rebounds this year.

And you're right jmh: Aubin was a decent goalie, certainly as decent as his netmates those seasons

98-99: Best GAA, Best Sv% (vs. Barrasso & Skudra)
99-00: 2nd best GAA, 2nd best Sv% (2.58/0.914) in 51 games
00-01: Tough season (3.13/0.890)
01-02: Tough season (3.56/0.879)
02-03: Better than Hedberg, worse than Caron (3.13/0.900)
03-04: Only goalie with GAA<3, only goalie with Sv%>.9 (2.98/0.908)

My take on Aubin: He was great in the late 90s. His bad seasons were the seasons when Lemieux returned.

(This isn't an allegation toward anyone in particular) But I think many of his critics are people who came back to the Pens with Lemieux and left again when they sucked, not the people who stuck with the team without Lemieux (late 90s) and the last few bad years.
RedLightDistrict

Here Are a Few

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:03 am

Vincent Tremblay, 1984, brought in to help them tank.

Pat Riggin, 1987-88. Their goaltending that year was maybe their worst overall. Riggin, Steve Guennette, Frank Pietrangelo, and Gilles Meloche.

Some guy named Brian Ford in 84-85.

Skudra has to be on the list.

Patrick Lalime after his unbelievable start.

Gary Edwards/Paul Harrison, 81-82.

I have to admit I went the the Internet Hockey Database (http://www.hockeydb.com/) to find some of these.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:25 am

Brochu was fine. One goal in half a game.

Plus, he wore #50, which is somewhat entertaining and trivia worthy if nothing else.

I never thought about Skudra, but he's certainly high on the list now that you guys brought him up.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 am

Is the correct answer Sabourin?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:50 am

I go back a lot longer than most of you, but one of the worst ever was a guy named Andy Brown from the early 70s. He didn't wear a mask, which was amusing, but he didn't stop the puck either. He liked to get into fights (different era) in those days of bench-clearing brawls, and once he got ejected from a game out of town (I think Detroit), and as he was getting booed from the fans, he bent over at the waist, shoving his ass up in the air while pointing at it with his fingers. I guess it was sort of a "kiss my ass" gesture. Crowd went nuts.

Ah, old time hockey.

Awesome post BFTC - I remember that game you were refering to, and I think it was Detroit too. I was watching the game on tv with my dad and we almost fell out of our seats laughing....

Andy was like Billy Smith, minus the talent....

I'm not sure if he was the Pens worst goalie though, he had some really bad D in front of him - he is the answer to a trivia question though -

"who is the last goalie in the NHL to play without a mask?"
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Admin wrote:Is the correct answer Sabourin?

Clearly. He might be better than what he showed but so far he has to have the worst stats ever of any Penguin goalie.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 pm

I think it is a toss up between T-BO and Sabourin. Granted Sabourin has only played one game, but he really looked terrible. He was so slow to react to everything, constantly out of position and off of his angles. He just looked like a train wreck in the net. And T-Bo is the rebound king. He couldnt control the puck if his life depended on it.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GJ on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Gordon Laxton. :(
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GJ on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:01 pm

And if you need to refresh your memory...

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/penguins/index.html
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:10 pm

GJ wrote:And if you need to refresh your memory...

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/penguins/index.html

That's a cool site. Thanks for the link.

Add Paul Harrison and his 5.49 GAA in 13 games to the list.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:44 pm

You were right Beezer it was Alain Chevrier I was thinking of.
http://www.goaliesarchive.com/penguins/chevrier.html

I was pretty close to guessing his suckassedness but to his credit; 1 assist in 3 games is damn good! :D

Awesome website by the way.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins