Whitney out with pulled groin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Soccerman77 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Yeah Whitney is sooooooo awful.. :roll:
Soccerman77

Postby Profiler on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Soccerman77 wrote:Yeah Whitney is sooooooo awful.. :roll:

Seriously......it is the same old "he is not worth what we pay him, therefore he is a crap player" B.S.

I could easily name about 20 (if not more) guys making more than him that I wouldn't touch, but yet he is an overpaid bum that cant do anything right on the ice. I get so tired of it.
Profiler

Postby Profiler on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 pm

What do these defensemen all have in common? Pronger, Schneider, Niedermayer, Zhitnik, Havelid, Chara, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder, Corvo, Aucoin, Sarich, Warrener, Foote, Hannan, Norstrom, Zubov, Boucher, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Souray, Staios, Salei, Van Ryn, Blake, Stuart, Preissing, Tverdovskiy, Johnsson, Markov, Hamrlik, Zidlicky, Martin, White, Sutton, Witt, Mara, Malik, Redden, Phillips, Timonen, Hatcher, Rathje, Jovanovski, Morris, Boynton, Gonch, Sydor, Rivet, McLaren, Brewer, McKee, Boyle, Kuba, McCabe, Kubina, Kaberle, Mitchell, salo, Ohlund, Poti, and Pothier.

Give up? They all make as much, or more than the "overpaid bum" Ryan Whitney. Now, you look at that list, and tell me you wouldnt rather have him RIGHT NOW over at least (if not more) half the guys on that list? Forget potential. Look at that list people! Sure, there are guys on there that are better, but come on. Zhitnik? Boynton? Derian freakin' Hatcher? I understand you guys get upset because he isn't Ulf Samuelsson in front of his net, and will never get over that he doesnt use his size. I get it. But to act like you can find a better defenseman for the $$$$ we are paying him....I mean seriously, we spent $2.5 on Sydor last offseason, and he is making just as much as Whits. Go ahead and try to tell me he is better. I know it is an isolated instance, but seriously.

I know I will get slammed that this isnt the thread that this should be brought up in, but since shot were taken here, this is where I am putting it. I will wait with baited breath for the rebuttal from the Whits haters.
Profiler

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Profiler wrote:What do these defensemen all have in common? Pronger, Schneider, Niedermayer, Zhitnik, Havelid, Chara, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder, Corvo, Aucoin, Sarich, Warrener, Foote, Hannan, Norstrom, Zubov, Boucher, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Souray, Staios, Salei, Van Ryn, Blake, Stuart, Preissing, Tverdovskiy, Johnsson, Markov, Hamrlik, Zidlicky, Martin, White, Sutton, Witt, Mara, Malik, Redden, Phillips, Timonen, Hatcher, Rathje, Jovanovski, Morris, Boynton, Gonch, Sydor, Rivet, McLaren, Brewer, McKee, Boyle, Kuba, McCabe, Kubina, Kaberle, Mitchell, salo, Ohlund, Poti, and Pothier.

Give up? They all make as much, or more than the "overpaid bum" Ryan Whitney. Now, you look at that list, and tell me you wouldnt rather have him RIGHT NOW over at least (if not more) half the guys on that list? Forget potential. Look at that list people! Sure, there are guys on there that are better, but come on. Zhitnik? Boynton? Derian freakin' Hatcher? I understand you guys get upset because he isn't Ulf Samuelsson in front of his net, and will never get over that he doesnt use his size. I get it. But to act like you can find a better defenseman for the $$$$ we are paying him....I mean seriously, we spent $2.5 on Sydor last offseason, and he is making just as much as Whits. Go ahead and try to tell me he is better. I know it is an isolated instance, but seriously.

I know I will get slammed that this isnt the thread that this should be brought up in, but since shot were taken here, this is where I am putting it. I will wait with baited breath for the rebuttal from the Whits haters.

Cant people state an opinion of whitney? Dont throw a hissy fit, calm down.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:The injury bug appears to have nested in our locker room. I blame the old arena.

I blame Whitney. If he weren't a nancy he'd skate through a pulled groin. How hard can it be to skate with a groin injury anyway? What a wuss.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:
Profiler wrote:What do these defensemen all have in common? Pronger, Schneider, Niedermayer, Zhitnik, Havelid, Chara, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder, Corvo, Aucoin, Sarich, Warrener, Foote, Hannan, Norstrom, Zubov, Boucher, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Souray, Staios, Salei, Van Ryn, Blake, Stuart, Preissing, Tverdovskiy, Johnsson, Markov, Hamrlik, Zidlicky, Martin, White, Sutton, Witt, Mara, Malik, Redden, Phillips, Timonen, Hatcher, Rathje, Jovanovski, Morris, Boynton, Gonch, Sydor, Rivet, McLaren, Brewer, McKee, Boyle, Kuba, McCabe, Kubina, Kaberle, Mitchell, salo, Ohlund, Poti, and Pothier.

Cant people state an opinion of whitney? Dont throw a hissy fit, calm down.
I think he did state his opinion. The constant drone here about all the negatives of players wears people down. The prices for Dmen are ridiculous.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:14 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:unlike most of our other injuries, this one does not bother me.

Goligoski cant be any worse then what whitney is at times.

Hope he isnt out too long. When it rains it pours.

At least New Jersey lost tonight so if we win tomorrow, big if, we will move into 1ST in the whole conference...........wooohoo.........yeah

That's a little ridiculous. I mean, seriously, Whitney has been in the top 10 or 15 in d-man scoring over the past 2 years. He can't just be replaced by an AHL rookie d-man.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:18 pm

So when is the injury bug going to hit LGP.com? I think a few posters could use the rest.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm

pcm wrote:So when is the injury bug going to hit LGP.com? I think a few posters could use the rest.

if the people themselves get the flu, that means they stay in from work, class, and the outside world. This actually means they will be at home more and a little bit more bored, equaling in an increase in the number of posts of those users.

so, in closing, i say 'nay' to hoping that those people get sick with the flu. I secretly hope for a really, really unseasonably sunny and warm day. :wink:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:22 pm

canaan wrote:
pcm wrote:So when is the injury bug going to hit LGP.com? I think a few posters could use the rest.

if the people themselves get the flu, that means they stay in from work, class, and the outside world. This actually means they will be at home more and a little bit more bored, equaling in an increase in the number of posts of those users.

so, in closing, i say 'nay' to hoping that those people get sick with the flu. I secretly hope for a really, really unseasonably sunny and warm day. :wink:
I been sick for 5 days now with this wretched flu. I think it's finally passing.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:23 pm

canaan wrote:

HAHA... canaan has become the voice of reason on this board. it's a sad day.

You know I'm kidding, buddy.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Ron` wrote:
canaan wrote:

I been sick for 5 days now with this wretched flu. I think it's finally passing.

case in point. :P
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:26 pm

eastonpensfan wrote:HAHA... canaan has become the voice of reason on this board. it's a sad day.

welp, it's time to start drinking again. this two and a half days of sobriety is messing with my logic. i didn't even use a "lolz" or a "zomg" in my post. i am definitely slipping. :D
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Soccerman77 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Mister Negative :D

Glad you see us losing tomorrow, Why even go to Ottawa?
Soccerman77

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 pm

eastonpensfan wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:unlike most of our other injuries, this one does not bother me.

Goligoski cant be any worse then what whitney is at times.

Hope he isnt out too long. When it rains it pours.

At least New Jersey lost tonight so if we win tomorrow, big if, we will move into 1ST in the whole conference...........wooohoo.........yeah

That's a little ridiculous. I mean, seriously, Whitney has been in the top 10 or 15 in d-man scoring over the past 2 years. He can't just be replaced by an AHL rookie d-man.

I was really only being half serious.

I like to chew into the ass of whitney when he screws up just like anyone else but I dont want to see goligoski replace whitney for along period of time.

I guess im just so overwhelmed and .........I dont know how to describe how I feel about ALL of the freaking injuries we keep getting left and right.

Its hard to keep up really.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:39 pm

Soccerman77 wrote:Mister Negative :D

Glad you see us losing tomorrow, Why even go to Ottawa?

oooooooooo please :roll: :D
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Soccerman77 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Yeah thats right, I forgot Ottawa is super good right now :( No chance.
Soccerman77

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm

FuturePens wrote:Not a big loss in my opinion...Whitney is a disappointing and overrated talent...

Yep, because all of our defensemen are putting up 12 goals and 34 points this year.....what a hack.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:47 pm

Soccerman77 wrote:Yeah thats right, I forgot Ottawa is super good right now :( No chance.

The senators have 1 win in their last 5 games........Guess who against.........The Penguins.

I think we'll pull out a win tomorrow. The senators arent very good at home.

If we dont win, its a shame........New jersey finally lost tonight.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:
FuturePens wrote:Not a big loss in my opinion...Whitney is a disappointing and overrated talent...

Yep, because all of our defensemen are putting up 12 goals and 34 points this year.....what a hack.

Wonder how many goals he has helped put in our own net. I dont hate whitney, I just dont understand the lovefest for Whitney.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:08 am

No matter what you think about Whitney's defensive skills (I have certainly been critical in the past), it is hard to argue that the Pens will not miss the offense that he brings, especially with all of the injuries. That, more than anything, is why this injury stinks.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 am

Matthew Monstar wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

Wonder how many goals he has helped put in our own net. I dont hate whitney, I just dont understand the lovefest for Whitney.

Well, right now Whitney has a +1, so apparently he's putting in more goals than he's "helping put in our own net".
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:17 am

Ron` wrote:
canaan wrote:

2 weeks of sickness for me, getting better finally
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jackie Treehorn on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:21 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:No matter what you think about Whitney's defensive skills (I have certainly been critical in the past), it is hard to argue that the Pens will not miss the offense that he brings, especially with all of the injuries. That, more than anything, is why this injury stinks.

I think Letang in Whitney's spot on the powerplay will help cover for Whitney's missed offense, but considering MT plays the 2nd PP about 1/3 of every 2 minute powerplay, it'll be a major blow to that unit and consequently the powerplay overall. It'll be interesting, though, to see Goligoski take those 2nd PP duties.
Jackie Treehorn

Postby eastonpensfan on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 am

PensBeerGeek wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

Well, right now Whitney has a +1, so apparently he's putting in more goals than he's "helping put in our own net".

Especially since a big chunk of Whit's goals come on the PP, a + rating is good for him.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins