Whitney = melted butter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby edog on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:How does he require that? Just because that play works with him does not mean he needs that play to score. He creates plenty of offense moving the puck.

he has an outlet pass, which is fine.....however, he rarely brings the puck up & doesn't QB the PP.....that is not fine....Letang can QB a PP, NT can not.....
edog

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:50 pm

edog wrote:
I rest my case....

I doubt it. 8-)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby edog on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Steve wrote:
edog wrote:
I rest my case....

I doubt it. 8-)

:P
edog

Postby Brian on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm

It's understandable to call Whitney soft -- the big man doesn't play anything resembling a physical game.

However, I'd still take Whitney and his minus 1 (34 points) over Rob Scuderi's plus 2 (4 points) any game. Whitney averages more ice time and contributes enough offensively to outweigh Scurderi's hapless contributions.

If Whitney is soft butter, Scuderi is I Cant Believe it’s not Butter, Spray. I’m tired of his Laissez-Faire approach to defense and hope he remains injured for the remainder of his playing days in Pittsburgh.
Brian
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Brian wrote:It's understandable to call Whitney soft -- the big man doesn't play anything resembling a physical game.

However, I'd still take Whitney and his minus 1 (34 points) over Rob Scuderi's plus 2 (4 points) any game. Whitney averages more ice time and contributes enough offensively to outweigh Scurderi's hapless contributions.

If Whitney is soft butter, Scuderi is I Cant Believe it’s not Butter, Spray. I’m tired of his Laissez-Faire approach to defense and hope he remains injured for the remainder of his playing days in Pittsburgh.

:lol: As far as defense is concerned, Scuderi is by far and away the best of the group.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm

guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Brian wrote:It's understandable to call Whitney soft -- the big man doesn't play anything resembling a physical game.

Have you noticed how bad our defense has been since Scuderi went down? He is a big part of this defense, and in my opinion, the unsung hero. I will take Rob Scuderi and his defense over Whitney any day of the week. Whitney is a joke.
HeyNow71871929

Postby meow on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 pm

HeyNow71871929 wrote:

Have you noticed how bad our defense has been since Scuderi went down? He is a big part of this defense, and in my opinion, the unsung hero. I will take Rob Scuderi and his defense over Whitney any day of the week. Whitney is a joke.

Scuderi ranks second amongst defensemen in TOI - ES and TOI - SH. I'd rather have 6 Scuderis on D than 6 Whitneys, IMO. Whitney is now a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th option on the powerplay, his role could be filled from someone else.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Profiler on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:07 pm

You guys are unbelievable :roll:
Profiler

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 am

ziggystardust wrote:
55 wrote:I used to think the Whitney bashers were serious......but they can't be....no one is that stupid...every GM in the league would take Whitney on their team.....Whitney would also be no worse than a number 3 d-man on any team except maybe ANA....enough said

I've found.... that the insight offered by a given post.... is inversely proportional..... to ellipsis frequency.

Fixed it for you :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Brian on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:34 pm

The Penguins defensive problems are not a result of Rob Scuderi's injury. They are a result of Ty Conklin slipping a bit and an exhausting schedule. Throw in the injuries and it's easy to see why the Penguins haven't played their best hockey.
Brian
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby edog on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:53 pm

55 wrote:I used to think the Whitney bashers were serious......but they can't be....no one is that stupid...every GM in the league would take Whitney on their team.....Whitney would also be no worse than a number 3 d-man on any team except maybe ANA....enough said

:roll:

you mean right after he was out of position again & couldn't bring the puck in on the PP.....
edog

Postby HockeyDaddy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:40 pm

meow wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:

Scuderi ranks second amongst defensemen in TOI - ES and TOI - SH. I'd rather have 6 Scuderis on D than 6 Whitneys, IMO. Whitney is now a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th option on the powerplay, his role could be filled from someone else.

Historically, the Penguins have been an offense first team. Of course, the defensive efforts of a stay at home D will not be appreciated by the casual fan. Rob Scuderi is essential to this Penguins team. Although he does not make the highlight reel on must nights...he does prevent the opposition from making the highlight reel.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 am

I sure hope Ryan Whitney begins using the eyesight and height
that God gave him. With the the man advantage, one more
penguin on ice, his play scared the be-jesus out of me. There is
still time for his game to finish strong into the play-offs.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:27 am

wow WOW wOw WoW. I understand Scuds is not going to put 5 goals into the back of the next during the season or even contribute more than 20 points but come on.... to state his value is crap because of point totals is absurd. I'd rather see 1 D-Dman and 1 O-Dman paired. Let's not confuse which category both #4 and #19 would fall into.

It doesn't even need to be said anymore as you'd have to be completely blind to think Whitney has progressed more than two years ago and that's what stirs people. Is he terrible? No. His point production mimics his 4+mil alone.

The real question is..... hopefully the Pens FO and Management have come closer to pinpointing what exactly has happened to some of these top draft picks. Is it the system(coaching) or is it waaay-off scouting reports/front office overestimated miscalculations? I'm going to go ahead and state that the scouting and minor league system has not done wonders for teaching defense. Even though Whit is/was never going to become a shutdown dman, his defense should be a hell of a lot better than where it is now. I don't blame him or his work ethic anymore than I blame our own farm and cropgrowers.

That being said, it's like 2 hours of sleep talking so I just rattled that off in one shot... forgive me if it makes zero sense.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:10 am

meow wrote:Scuderi ranks second amongst defensemen in TOI - ES and TOI - SH. I'd rather have 6 Scuderis on D than 6 Whitneys, IMO. Whitney is now a 3rd, 4th, or even 5th option on the powerplay, his role could be filled from someone else.

Whitney and Scuderi aren't even in the same stratosphere when it comes to style of play. To compare the 2 is asinine. A 5th option on the powerply! MmmHmm ... yeah, what he said. :roll:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eww7633 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:15 am

Whitney is a 4 million dollar tub of butter than can't play D and isn't needed on the powerplay.

For the guy who said Letang disappeared in February, he didn't dissapear defensively, which is what DEFENSEMEN are supposed to play first.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kirk on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 am

ZenPenguin wrote:I have been pro-Whitney. However, he seems to be getting worse and is as worthless defensively as Ian Moran.

The part that concerns me more than that is that Whitney has been less responsible and helpful OFFENSIVELY than Moran. That's the difference between Whitney and Letang right now: Even if you said that they both had the same issues defensively (which they don't), it's hard to ignore how much more responsible and effective that Letang has been offensively.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:46 am

ZenPenguin wrote:I have been pro-Whitney. However, he seems to be getting worse and is as worthless defensively as Ian Moran.

Was does Moran get such a bashing around here?

Moran was very successful at what he was asked to do in his day. He filled a very unusual role as a "utility man" who could give adequate service at multiple positions, both as a defenseman and as a forward.

Was he Ray Borque? No, but he filled a very important role for the Penguins during his tenure.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FrozenNuts on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am

The things I see Whitney doing he can easily work on and fix:

1.) He telegraphs his passes on the PP. Also, how many times does he get a cross ice pass from Malkin on the right side and try a return pass through that same lane?

2.) I don't think I've ever seen him lift a stick on his man.

3.) Take the body every once in a while!

Also, I agree with the Scuderi comments in that Scuds plays a lot better defensively. Sure, Whit gets credited with many points but when it comes to the defensive side of his game, he seems to get lost.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins