Sid may play in the olympics after all...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sid may play in the olympics after all...

Postby topshelf on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:05 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 65341_1136

He is on hold. Also, it has been announced that any players involved in the gambling ring will not be allowed to go to Torino.
Last edited by topshelf on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:18 pm

he should have been on this team from the start.

Given who they chose to be on the roster..he certainly should have , without question made this team.

Sid has accomplished so much this year PLAYING WITH JUNK!!!!

Give him some scorers to play with.Team Canada will have that. Look out.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Sid should have got the call before Iginla.
jmh70

Postby mnpensfan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 pm

I would actually rather see him rest over the break. I think he could use it. It's not like he won't be on the 2010 roster....
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Puh-leeze

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:05 pm

jmh70 wrote:Sid should have got the call before Iginla.

You can argue that Sid should have been there without being ridiculous. All Iginla has done is have six good seasons in a row. He doesn't put up the big numbers, but nobody playing for Sutter does. At this point in their careers, I have zero problem with Iginla on the team ahead of Sid.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 pm

I couldn't open the original article, what did it say about Sid playing for Team Canada?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:11 pm

"Sportsnet has learned Sidney Crosby, Patrick Marleau, Paul Kariya and Alex Tanguay are on standby as potential injury replacements for Canada's men's Olympic hockey team headed to Torino this month."
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:51 pm

As much as I'd like to see him rest during the break, playing in the Olympics could only help Sid's cause I'd think.

The people that hate him because he whines would actually watch him play and see what he brings to the table instead of listening to the media and Hitchcock.

This type of a stage with some talent around him would be interesting to see now, as a preview for what might be to come in Pgh.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Well you all know what playing with the other greats, including Gretzky, did for Mario's career after the Canada Cup. I think Sid being surrounded by the best of the best for the first time in his career would be great for him. He can learn a lot more from the guys on that team than he could ever from Mario alone, or any other vets on the Pens.

Rest will be good for Sid, but playing hockey and not having to carry a team for the first time in his life with the only task of learning would do a whole lot more for him.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

I think it'd be great for his confidence to play on a line with someone who can create offense.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

does taxi squad travel?

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 pm

sorry if stupid question but i guess they sit & be cheerleaders
until somebody gets injured.

for Sid it would be a chance, granted, but mostly it would be more
time where Sid has to answer question after question after question.
Even though he's not playing. But for a Canadian you must go
if called. :P

Again it is a shame the NHL olympians cannot be in the
opening ceremonies.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm

I hope he plays. To say he shouldnt play because he needs rest is ridiculous, he's only 18 and we aren't even going to be in the playoffs this year.

Wondermoose said what I was going to say... Mario always pointed to the Canada cup as a turning point in his career, it helped him tremendously and I would love for the same thing to happen for Crosby. Not to mention it would be great just to watch him play with some talented players.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:36 pm

hey if it means him being over there i say go for it... and make him room with malkin...

seriously just another chance that a pen could talk with malkin.... and lets be serious... it wont hurt... the organization needs to convince malkin to come over here i believe! even if it means money... at this pt... malkin becoming friends with crosby is a plus!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:48 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:hey if it means him being over there i say go for it... and make him room with malkin...

seriously just another chance that a pen could talk with malkin.... and lets be serious... it wont hurt... the organization needs to convince malkin to come over here i believe! even if it means money... at this pt... malkin becoming friends with crosby is a plus!

Sid would be the best penguin PR at this point...would Coach Sutter
allow a canadian to speak with a russian ... :P
joking, only teasing
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh70 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:58 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:You can argue that Sid should have been there without being ridiculous. All Iginla has done is have six good seasons in a row. He doesn't put up the big numbers, but nobody playing for Sutter does. At this point in their careers, I have zero problem with Iginla on the team ahead of Sid.

Wow, someone's bit hard into the Iginla hype. No doubt he is a good finisher but not so good as to cover up his inability to make his teammates better. He's on pace for about 40g, which is certainly respectable but far from greatness (and don't blame it on Sutter; now THAT is ridiculous). I would put Tanguay in before Iginla; he is just as good a finisher but does so much more than Iginla.
jmh70

Postby scals37 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 pm

This could be an amazing exposure for 87.. much like mario in the canada cup, crosby will undoubtably benefit greatly from this. Not to mention it could give him another chance to upstage oven-chicken :lol:
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:56 pm

After the show Iginla put on in the Cup finals two years ago he deserves to be on the team whenever he wants. Everytime he touched the puck that year in the playoffs it felt like he was going to score. Great clutch player imo.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lauren on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:04 pm

It would be great if Sid could play for Canada. He was so disappointed when he wasn't picked. Plus, playing with a good team can only do good things for his game.
lauren

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins