Errey must go

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Errey must go

Postby Jerez on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Okay, this is just the opening salvo. I have to get my thoughts together before I put forth an all-out assault.

But after tonight, I can no longer accept Eeyore (aka "Bob [Bibbsy] Errey") as part of the Pittsburgh Penguins "team" -- and somehow I thought the broadcasters were sorta/kinda part of the "team" -- why else would Mike Lange make the Penguins Hall of Fame???

Errey needs to be fired/traded/waived/kicked the hell out of Dodge. (I'm going to leave criticism of Lange to others, though I'm thinking Myron Cope needs some company in the "retired semi-famous Pittsburgh sports announcers league.")

I've NEVER heard such consistently negative crap from any announcer of any team. I'm no fan of flat-out homers, but, please tell me, what fans would want to listen to this kind of CONSTANTLY negative crap from one of their own announcers??? Granted, the team isn't playing well, but can't we garner a few positives from the game, from the team? To be blaming our *very* young yet *very* talented goalie for every loss is getting old, brittle, and incomprehensible. Kinda like my 99-year-old grandma, but nowhere near beloved.

All I know is that, before every Penguins game, I know I pray Center Ice has the opposing team's broadcast. Yes, it's that bad. I'd rather listen to jokes from the stupid Ottawa announcers than the crap that Errey spews.

I know Eeyore played for other teams (but just didn't get a Cup ring from them, pity the poor Penguins) so maybe one of them will be willing to take him off our hands.

Oh, how I long for the days of Edzo the announcer.......

This is not the end. I will continue the fight. Press on, patriots!
Last edited by Jerez on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:01 am

I agree for the most part. I just don't like Errey.He really gets on my nerves with his calls. I really miss the days of Mike Lange and Paul Steigerwald.
Stevens25

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 am

He tells it like it is. You just need to have some thicker skin.

I have nothing against Errey calling anyone out. He gets his words mixed up at times. Take the good with the bad. He rips Gonchar just like he will rip the referree or other team when it is called for.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 am

I like do like Phil Bourque on the radio side though. 8)
Stevens25

Postby jmh70 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 am

I'd rather listen to Rick Jeanerette (Sabres guy) 24/7 than hear Errey even once more.
jmh70

Re: Errey must go

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 am

Jerez wrote: To be blaming our *very* young yet *very* talented goalie for every loss is getting old, brittle, and incomprehensible.

Can you be specific? I was at the game tonight, so I didn't hear the brodcast. I have heard Errey call MA on a soft goal, of which there have been several lately. In just the same way, he'll call Sid on a poor passing decision or Gonchar for lack of hustle.

You can't honestly say that the majority of the performances have been acceptable by any means. Someone with some insight into the game is calling it like it is.

Anyone else really think he's being overly critical of just Fleury?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jerez on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 am

Scott wrote:He tells it like it is. You just need to have some thicker skin.

I have plenty thick skin, thanks.

Just not quite as thick as those bones Errey chews on all the time... :roll:
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:19 am

Jerez wrote:
Scott wrote:He tells it like it is. You just need to have some thicker skin.

I have plenty thick skin, thanks.

Just not quite as thick as those bones Errey chews on all the time... :roll:

Ok then. I guess Errey should just say how great everyone is doing. He should say nice turnover Crosby, shy away from taking the body Gonchar, until fluery gets older, we should say darn, nice try tonight,
good non call on that boarding incident by the other team. Keep gazing at Sidney MR. referree until he barks back. Good job changing the lines on that shift boys,,,you just gave up a goal.

He gets tongue twisted at times, but other than that...keep calling the spade, a spade.
Keep up the good work Bobby. I don't want a fairy tale. Tell the truth bro.! :)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:44 am

the guy has no right of ripping into a goaltender... much like many of other critics.... i'm a goaltender, and fleury... well he as quoted has the quickest feet of any being ive ever seen.. once he harnesses his skills 100%, and the team becomes what theyre supposed to be... well you know the rest, bob errey is a decent announcer... minus the goaltender comments (cause of course he knows how to stop a puck) and the constant s*cking *ff of other teams, but regardless... my thoughts-- mike lange is my favorite play by play, but stick with another color commentary- maybe phil bourque...bob errey is depressing me more and more even after the pens are getting killed, its killing any spirit we have; any hope of a another season, or hope of another arena, cmon now..... i dont know....maybe im drunk....maybe im just babbling......
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RedLightDistrict on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 am

I dislike some of Errey's comments on MAF, but I like his fire.

Imagine if he were in the dressing room instead of Recchi. Perhaps he'd be lighting a fire under these players.

I believe if Errey says nothing critical (but nothing positive) then he's being a homer. Because ignoring how bad this team is is like wearing rose colored glasses.

Sure Errey says dumb things sometimes. But it seems to me that he cares about the Penguins winning more than Recchi, Malone, LeClair, etc.
RedLightDistrict

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 am

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:
Can you be specific? I was at the game tonight, so I didn't hear the brodcast. I have heard Errey call MA on a soft goal, of which there have been several lately. In just the same way, he'll call Sid on a poor passing decision or Gonchar for lack of hustle.

You can't honestly say that the majority of the performances have been acceptable by any means. Someone with some insight into the game is calling it like it is.

That was it again tonight. On a night where MAF was the only guy breaking a sweat, and the only reason they were in that game, he again went off on his "lack of key saves" routine, and topped it off by saying he doesn't work hard enough in practice. That is just so laughably pathetic. Every good save he made in this game when it was 1 or 2 to nothing was a key save, as it kept giving them a chance. Errey is an ass clown who has no business analyzing goalies, as it is proven he has no idea what he's talkign about.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jerez on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 am

Scott wrote:[Ok then. I guess Errey should just say how great everyone is doing. He should say nice turnover Crosby, shy away from taking the body Gonchar, until fluery gets older, we should say darn, nice try tonight,
good non call on that boarding incident by the other team. Keep gazing at Sidney MR. referree until he barks back. Good job changing the lines on that shift boys,,,you just gave up a goal.

He gets tongue twisted at times, but other than that...keep calling the spade, a spade.

You're really missing the point here. Television is an ENTERTAINMENT medium. Teams give broadcast rights to networks/stations so they can partner in promoting the team. The more casual fan (and, no, I do not place myself in that category) won't sit and watch a team that is being constantly denigrated by one of its own announcers.

There can be value in watching even a bad team (yes, the Penguins as a team are bad). However, the job of the announcers is to make it ENTERTAINING to watch the team, even when losing. They can point out deficiencies, but it's counter-productive to constantly harp on -- for example -- the play of a young up-and-coming goaltender who is going to be one of the cornerstones of your franchise in the future, simply because he doesn't make every save. Even his own coach doesn't do that.

Instead of constantly talking about how wonderful the players on other teams are (and, let's face it, Jason Blake is not THAT good of a hockey player, he's just a pest to the Pens), the announcers could occasionally talk about how good some of the players on the Pens are -- or will be. Talk about the little things they do right once in a while. Certainly most games Crosby gives them a few things to talk about. Yes, talk about the mistakes, but is it so hard to use those to explain the game, the way Olczyk used to do with his telestrator? Now he was a good color analyst, win or lose, and he didn't see nor talk the game through rose colored glasses. But he made the game entertaining.

And don't even get me started on Errey's wonderful "delivery" -- the reason I first started calling him Eeyore was his droning, bleating, and mumbling...

In sum, I don't enjoy listening to Errey. His job (the one he's getting paid for) is to help the viewers enjoy and understand the game, and to promote the team. Not to be a homer like many whom I can't stand, but to be a Penguins color analyst, not a Penguins-hater, which he certainly sounds like more and more. If as many people as I've heard are saying they'd rather watch the opposing team's broadcast, something is very, very wrong with the Fox Pittsburgh coverage. I think I know what it is.
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby supermario on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:29 pm

there were no positives from the game, this team stinks. Shut out the lights.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:43 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Vanbiesbrouck wrote:

That was it again tonight. On a night where MAF was the only guy breaking a sweat, and the only reason they were in that game, he again went off on his "lack of key saves" routine, and topped it off by saying he doesn't work hard enough in practice. That is just so laughably pathetic. Every good save he made in this game when it was 1 or 2 to nothing was a key save, as it kept giving them a chance. Errey is an ass clown who has no business analyzing goalies, as it is proven he has no idea what he's talkign about.

I had to watch Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley, don't know what he said about Fleury, but if he has a problem with his play last night, I don't know what game he was watching. It's not that he isn't making key saves, it's that he's asked to make key saves 20 times a game. Did he get on Crosby for the first goal?

Overall, he makes decent observations, but he doesn't communicate very well, might be the worst in the league.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jerri on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 pm

YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!!!

Errey is great! I love that guy. He is 10X more entertaining than the games have been this year.

I love how passionate he is about the team and the sport - I wish our players cared 1/10 as much as he does.

Plus ever since he started the "Rendell Sucks" chant at the rally he won a place in my heart.

I'll be sad if he leaves.
Jerri

Postby dboss on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Jerri wrote:YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!!!

Errey is great! I love that guy. He is 10X more entertaining than the games have been this year.

I love how passionate he is about the team and the sport - I wish our players cared 1/10 as much as he does.

Plus ever since he started the "Rendell Sucks" chant at the rally he won a place in my heart.

I'll be sad if he leaves.

I guess I could be doing the hockey games and you would listen because I could say a lot more about Rendell than the fact that he sucks. My problem with Errey is that he is negative about the wrong people. I don't ever hear him criticizing CP for putting this team together, but I hear him speaking negatively about Fleury all the time. If it wasn't for Fleury they would be losing these games 12-1. Like another poster already mentioned, it is nearly impossible to make 20 key saves a game. That is why he is only making 19. Errey should think more about that before criticizing the wrong people.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:07 pm

dboss wrote:I don't ever hear him criticizing CP for putting this team together, but I hear him speaking negatively about Fleury all the time. If it wasn't for Fleury they would be losing these games 12-1. Like another poster already mentioned, it is nearly impossible to make 20 key saves a game. That is why he is only making 19. Errey should think more about that before criticizing the wrong people.

Boy, ain't that the truth! He has criticized the coaching on occasion, but he dares not utter a negative word about the idiot who put this mess together. That right there tells you all you need to know. He picks on the weak individuals who can't really defend themselves without sounding like whiners, but hasn't the guts to criticize upper management.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jerri on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Boy, ain't that the truth! He has criticized the coaching on occasion, but he dares not utter a negative word about the idiot who put this mess together. That right there tells you all you need to know. He picks on the weak individuals who can't really defend themselves without sounding like whiners, but hasn't the guts to criticize upper management.

Can't defend themselves? Come on now...These are professional athletes they are paid ungodly amounts of money to play a game - public criticism is part of the job. They can easily defend themselves by playing up to par.

He can't explicitly criticize upper management because they are his bosses and he'll be fired. Don't pretend like you wouldn't avoid getting fired either. However, by implication it is fairly obvious that he is criticizing coaching and management as well.

All I know is he makes me laugh during the games when he gets all worked up like a little kid or when he turns into a total homer or when he calls someone out for being lazy. Until the Penguins can play well enough to put a smile on my face I'll continue to depend on Errey to provide the entertainment.
Jerri

Postby Tocchet on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Imagine if he were in the dressing room instead of Recchi. Perhaps he'd be lighting a fire under these players.

Indeed. The organ-i-zation needs to address that and bring in a real leader this off-season, even if that's only a third or fourth line player.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
dboss wrote:I don't ever hear him criticizing CP for putting this team together, but I hear him speaking negatively about Fleury all the time. If it wasn't for Fleury they would be losing these games 12-1. Like another poster already mentioned, it is nearly impossible to make 20 key saves a game. That is why he is only making 19. Errey should think more about that before criticizing the wrong people.

Boy, ain't that the truth! He has criticized the coaching on occasion, but he dares not utter a negative word about the idiot who put this mess together. That right there tells you all you need to know. He picks on the weak individuals who can't really defend themselves without sounding like whiners, but hasn't the guts to criticize upper management.

Couple issues I have with this.... first off.... Fleury DOES have a knack for making a big save... and then letting in a soft one. If you haven't noticed that, then I dont know what team you have been watching. However, Fleury is a great goalie, and hopefully as he gets older he will lose that. Considering the situation he is in, we couldnt have asked him to perform much better.

Next, there are plenty of reasons why you haven't heard Errey talk bad about CP or Mario. The main reason being they are his BOSS. That wouldnt be a good idea now, would it? Also, everyone all the way down to the zamboni driver already knows CP is to blame for putting this mess together, Errey doesnt even have to say it. But, the so called "weak individuals" need some critizism as well, because their performance has not been on par with expectations.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:50 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
Next, there are plenty of reasons why you haven't heard Errey talk bad about CP or Mario. The main reason being they are his BOSS. That wouldnt be a good idea now, would it? Also, everyone all the way down to the zamboni driver already knows CP is to blame for putting this mess together, Errey doesnt even have to say it. But, the so called "weak individuals" need some critizism as well, because their performance has not been on par with expectations.

I have no problems with justifiable criticism of players. But the thing with Fleury is ridiculous. Let it go, Eeyore.

As for his bosses, I thought FSP paid his salary, not the Penguins. Am I wrong?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:59 pm

PensInAz wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Couple issues I have with this.... first off.... Fleury DOES have a knack for making a big save... and then letting in a soft one. If you haven't noticed that, then I dont know what team you have been watching. However, Fleury is a great goalie, and hopefully as he gets older he will lose that. Considering the situation he is in, we couldnt have asked him to perform much better.

Better yet, how about this?

Fluery does have a knack for making the big save. Unfortunately the D in front of him has the knack to find complacency after a period or two and helps create 7 on 3's (Five opposing players and two Penguins D-Men versus three Penguins forwards). Often accused of being a "soft goal", further inspection shows that any of the other 29 teams in the league would have tried to have people in position to cover the player with good angles and clear passing lanes.

Just my take on it. ;-)

Ok, I'll meet you half way on it. There are very small cracks in Fleury's play, but this defense makes them look like the grand canyon. I am sure those situations would happen a lot less with a competent defense, and would make fleury's life so much easier. However, I will stand by what I said earlier, too many times i have seen it happen.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jerez on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:08 pm

Jerri wrote: All I know is he makes me laugh during the games when he gets all worked up like a little kid or when he turns into a total homer or when he calls someone out for being lazy. Until the Penguins can play well enough to put a smile on my face I'll continue to depend on Errey to provide the entertainment.

You must be easily entertained. You're lucky! :D
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Scott wrote:Ok then. I guess Errey should just say how great everyone is doing. He should say nice turnover Crosby, shy away from taking the body Gonchar, until fluery gets older, we should say darn, nice try tonight,

I don't think that's what she's saying at all!! Oh & before you say Errey isn't a homer, you ever notice that according to Errey, every player from in & around Peterborough is an exceptional talent, no matter which team he's on? That's because Bob hails for that fair city & that's homerism in it'd purest form. He'll criticise the Pens, which I don't have any problem with, he'll praise & sometimes even gush over the opposition in his quest to not show favoritism.

I would love for the days of Lange & Steigie to return...since we can't have Edzo back. Lange may not be the textbook sportscaster, but he is the Pens & Steigie provided the rest.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins