Shelly Anderson , you all , will be on with Stan now

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shelly Anderson , you all , will be on with Stan now

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:20 am

:P shelly anderson on espn local with Stanley S.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:39 am

Did the inteview happen yet. I have a commercial going on the station right now. If is did happen, can anyone post a summary.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:12 am

Hello, is there anyone out there? Nobody has posted on anything in about 40 minutes. I'm getting lonely.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16 am

newarenanow wrote:Did the inteview happen yet. I have a commercial going on the station right now. If is did happen, can anyone post a summary.

i missed when ms anderson was first on. what I got was that it almost
was a very done deal with hamilton until nhl /pittsburgh gov officials
stepped in. Stan said, so mario would have sold the penguins down
the river? Just business STan, nothing personal.
Then Stan trying to say were the politcos the "heros" in the staying
of the pens? To me, to us, heros are the fans and the NHL CBA
aka Gary Bettman.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensrule on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 am

penny lane wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Did the inteview happen yet. I have a commercial going on the station right now. If is did happen, can anyone post a summary.

aka Gary Bettman.

Just like I thought...money hungry Mario & Co. would have screwed all of us.

P.S. I know none of you agree with me and think Mario deserves $200 million for his team since he's done son much, blah, blah, blah...

For all the business folks out there don't bother telling me that from a business perspective, that's what he should do, I know that, but I don't give a crap about Mario & Co. personally. All I care about is that the team stays.

Go ahead bash away....
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:13 am

Keep in mind Mario & Company wouldn't "sold down the river"...if IOC gets the slots, they stay regardless.

But, there was the "most" risk if this group would have gotten the team....because if "Plan B" didn't work....they would have moved the team.

Thank God for NHL Bylaws.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:19 am

pensrule wrote:
penny lane wrote:

aka Gary Bettman.

P.S. I know none of you agree with me and think Mario deserves $200 million for his team since he's done son much, blah, blah, blah...

For all the business folks out there don't bother telling me that from a business perspective, that's what he should do, I know that, but I don't give a crap about Mario & Co. personally. All I care about is that the team stays.

Go ahead bash away....

I think we all want the team to stay, and at least you admit from a business perspective, that selling for $20M more was the best bet. Also, something we don't know is that in the article, it said that the Canadian group considered keeping the team in Pgh, but was worried that it wouldn't be able to move the team if cost overruns for the new arena occurred.

We don't know the whole story and may never will. Now that allegedly all bids are the close and competitive, I hope the Lemieux Group sells to a bidder who guarantees that the team stays.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 am

pensrule wrote:
penny lane wrote:

aka Gary Bettman.

Go ahead bash away....

I'm glad you feel that Mario owes you everything, espeically when you say "I don't give a crap about Mario & Co personally."

So he is supposed to care about your wishes, when you could care less about his. Funny how that works.

It's also funny that you think he should just give the team away and make no money on it. Despite what you think, this IS a business and there are more people involved than just Mario. Face it, Mario saved this team from leaving town once before and has tried for years to get an arena. He had no obligation to do any of that and gets little or no credit for any of that, yet he is somehow supposed to save the franchise yet again.

Have you ever sold anything? If so, I bet you didn't go to the middle-tier bidders...you went to whoever would pay the most. Don't tell me you didn't, because I'd call you a liar.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guins on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 am

You know i understand how business works.But you people have got to get over this Mario THING. It's not like he's Mahamet Gandhi or something. Last time i checked he couldn't walk on water!
Guins

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 am

Guins wrote:Then Stan trying to say were the politcos the "heros" in the staying
aka Gary Bettman What did you think he was going to say he's A bigtime Democrat.The politcians involved are all Democrats !!! :shock:

I still remember Tom Murphy on his way out, blowing the
whistle on the FIX...
ps-
I'll stop myself from blaming all republicans for America's problems. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:32 am

Guins wrote:Last time i checked he couldn't walk on water!

But he can skate on frozen water.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensrule on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:34 am

Guins wrote:You know i understand how business works.But you people have got to get over this Mario THING. It's not like he's Mahamet Gandhi or something. Last time i checked he couldn't walk on water!

Thank you...
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guins on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am

That's not what i was getting at, Stan is going to try to make the politicians in other words Democrats out to be the HEROS.And Tom Murphy had nothing to lose, his career as a politician was over anyways & he didn't like O'Connor at all.
Last edited by Guins on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guins

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am

Well, I can't help but be a little disappointed in Lemieux. Yes, it's a business, and yes, it's true that he's stuck it out as owner of the team for years now and he's gotten nothing in return. I can understand being frustrated. I still think it's just a little bit rotten that he was willing to let them go like that after all the progress that has been made recently. After all the loyalty he showed this team and this city, he was willing to let them leave to get the biggest profit, even though he and his group was going to do quite well no matter who they sold?

Of course, we probably don't know the whole story. Maybe Lemieux knew that the NHL would never let them move. Maybe he thought selling to a group that was serious about moving would serve to wake up this city and get something done. I don't know. But I think to blindly give him a pass is a bit silly just as it is to blindly condemn him here. I guess I kind of just expected a little more loyalty out of him in the end.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guins on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:37 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Guins wrote:Last time i checked he couldn't walk on water!

But he can skate on frozen water.
That's true & a good comeback :lol:
Guins

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 am

Guins wrote:That's not what i was getting at, Stan is going to try to make the politicians in other words Democrats out to be the HEROS.And Tom Murphy had nothing to lose, his career as a politician was over anyways & he didn't like O'Connor at all.

I think he was just asking a question, not trying to blow smoke up the polticos butts.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guins on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:43 am

I understand what your saying but 2 things move politcians public sentiment & Internal Polls. The fans are the HEROS not politcians they're just whores
Guins

Postby Fast B on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:22 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Well, I can't help but be a little disappointed in Lemieux. Yes, it's a business, and yes, it's true that he's stuck it out as owner of the team for years now and he's gotten nothing in return. I can understand being frustrated. I still think it's just a little bit rotten that he was willing to let them go like that after all the progress that has been made recently. After all the loyalty he showed this team and this city, he was willing to let them leave to get the biggest profit, even though he and his group was going to do quite well no matter who they sold?

Of course, we probably don't know the whole story. Maybe Lemieux knew that the NHL would never let them move. Maybe he thought selling to a group that was serious about moving would serve to wake up this city and get something done. I don't know. But I think to blindly give him a pass is a bit silly just as it is to blindly condemn him here. I guess I kind of just expected a little more loyalty out of him in the end.

Again: Lemieux is not the sole owner of the team. There are other investors that have a vested interest in maximizing their profits as well. I know that since this is a message board it's easier to claim the issue is black and white, but isn't it possible that Mario wanted to keep them here at any cost but was overruled by others in his group? I realize this is rationalizing the situation, but since I don't know the real motives of anybody involved, it's all I've got.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Guins wrote:You know i understand how business works.But you people have got to get over this Mario THING. It's not like he's Mahamet Gandhi or something. Last time i checked he couldn't walk on water!

Ironically, it's the people who don't expect his group to take millions less who understand this. The people who expect them to undersell the franchise who want to believe he does in fact walk on water.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:54 pm

pfim wrote:

Ironically, it's the people who don't expect his group to take millions less who understand this. The people who expect them to undersell the franchise who want to believe he does in fact walk on water.

It all comes down to, for me, this "hometown discount". Gary Betteman has held up his end, Hamilton backed out because they knew the pressure from the NHL would cost them a pretty penny more. Thank God for the Bylaws, for if not, this team would be gone.

The NHL wants to protect it's image. How good would it look if a team moved under a new CBA?

As for Mario...

If the bids are close, like within 10 Mil close, I would expect him to hold true to his "hometown discount" and make the right choice. I realize it's an investment, I realize that he is not the only investor, but for a guy who singlehandedly put a franchise on the proverbial hockey map, a guy that made his living in one city for over a decade, a guy that won both his Stanley Cup's here and is revered as a hockey God, you'd think he'd take the 10 Mil hit and sell to a sure thing.

That's just me, though.

If it does come out that the bids are within 10 Mil of each other, and Renacci or Murstien don't get the team, I can safely say I will be disheartened.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Back to the original question, has anyone heard the interview in full?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jasmine on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:32 pm

penny lane wrote:
missed when ms anderson was first on. what I got was that it almost
aka Gary Bettman.

You couldn't be more correct about Stan's comments and who REALLY are the heroes! May I add that Mario's putting together the IOC plan (at Steigy's suggestion) with private money was what got the whole ball rolling in the first place! Onorato is nothing but the governor's pawn in this whole thing. It was a big-time suck up, NOT an "accident." Sickening! I have lost all faith in Savran now - after that two-week "funeral" and sympathy thing on 970 . . . now he throws that political crap in our faces like we don't know any better. He has lost all credibility with me. Look, I will be ecstatic if the Pens stay, but the politicans didn't save anything but their own a--es!
BTW - Unlike Stan, Ms. Anderson was not afraid to crack on the crooked politics more than once and, after Stan tried to lead her another way, she said IOC was the plan to go with! Go, Shelley! :D
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:03 am

pensrule wrote:

Thank you...

Jesus, there's two of you?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:05 am

pfim wrote:

Careful, pfim. You're injecting logic into a conversation that can't sustain any.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guins on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:32 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
pensrule wrote:

Thank you...

Jesus, there's two of you?
No i'm just not a lemming like you & others who think that Mario can do no wrong.As a player & then as an player/owner he had the mindset that what was good for Mario was good for the Penguins.And he was wrong but nobody had the balls to tell him that! :evil:
Guins

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins