Malkin next Season? Don't think so!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin next Season? Don't think so!

Postby FuturePens on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:49 pm

I'am a huge Pens fan, and watch every game regardless if they stink. I'am happy for the fact that they are in Pittsburgh and that I can chear for a home team. Putting that aside, having no chance at the Playoffs, many of us are curious about Malkin. Currently, he is playing in Magnitogorsk in the Russian Super League, and he is most likely going to receive the MVP award there. Would it be nice to have him here next season, and finally maybe have a solid centerman again that can carry the puck into the zone and create a play or two? Yeah, that would be pretty nice, but, the chances are slim that we will see him next season, and maybe not until 2008/2009, IF the Pens remain in Pittsburgh. WHY?
Well, first of; We know how wealthy the Penguins are, and getting a player like that would cost them some serious money. Especially, since he is coming from a top Russian league, that has a owner, who has more money than Mario Lemiuex probably. What I mean is, that he is a "Billionaire" and is going to expect some big time bucks for Malkin. This is a fact! Unless we unload that lazy Bum Gonchar, Malkin will remain where he is for the next several years.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:53 pm

Malkin will want to prove his worth in the NHL. If he stays in the Russian Super League, he simply remains a great Russian player. But, in the NHL, he can become a worldwide sensation like Forsberg. Any player with that kind of competitive drive will want to stake his claim in the NHL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Pros and Cons

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Let's play a little game here. Let's list the pros and cons of why he should come over. I'll start

Pros
Chance to play against the best competition
Chance to play with Sid

Cons
Will probably make more money over there
Uncertainty over team's future location
Could play at home rather than a foreign country
Plays for a winning team versus a dreg team
Does Russian mafia have a say?

Others???
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Ovechkin has been talking up the NHL to him also. I'm sure Malkin will be talking more to him and Gonchar about coming over while the Olympics are going on...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 pm

He seems to want to compete against Ovechkin for bragging rights. He will be in the NHL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:05 pm

PensInAz wrote:The Pens not having the money to sign him is one of the weakest arguments that I see brought up continually.

I doubt money is an issue. The one question is, which CBA does he fall under? Money could be an issue if he falls under the old one, but is certainly not an issue under the new one.

Here's another con:
no agreement between the NHL and the Russian Hockey Federation might mean the Pens will have to pay big bucks to get him out of there
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Come on. All indications from people who would know seem to see Malkin's coming to Pittsburgh next year as pretty much a sure thing. We want him here, he wants to be here, and reportedly his team is willing to let him go. He's not going to stay in Russia instead of playing in the NHL.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:16 pm

I'm with Henry Hank on this one. These kids grow up thinking NHL. It is the ultimate goal. Malkin himself said he thought of nothing else growing up...second to hockey itself! Malkin himself has said over & over how eager he is to get here (to the US) & play against the 'best in the world' as well as beside them.
I think that even if the money to stay with Magnitogorsk was equal to the Pens & the NHL, it comes with strings attached over there. This is why so many Rusian players want away from it.

The debate over whether the Penguins' Sidney Crosby or Washington's Alex Ovechkin should win the Calder Trophy likely will rage until the end of the season, but Ovechkin already is pretty sure who will be the NHL's top rookie a year from now.

His early vote would go to Russian countryman and Penguins prospect Evgeni Malkin, the second overall pick in the 2004 draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06029/646095.stm
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:24 pm

It is clear that Malkin wants to come over, so the only thing that will stop him is his club. Hopefully Dave King is on our side in this struggle.
jmh70

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Anyone know when/if the Russians are to reconsider signing the international deal?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:56 pm

Pitts wrote:Malkin will want to prove his worth in the NHL. If he stays in the Russian Super League, he simply remains a great Russian player. But, in the NHL, he can become a worldwide sensation like Forsberg. Any player with that kind of competitive drive will want to stake his claim in the NHL.

He will only become a worldwide sensation with the Pens when they get a coach who will allow the stars to shine. :(
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Malkin's agent Pat Brisson believes the 19-year-old will be with the Penguins for the 2006-07 season.

"My feeling is that Evgeni will want to graduate to the NHL next year," Brisson told Pittsburgh reporters in August.

Malkin is under contract to his hometown team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, until 2008.

Any chance of Malkin playing in the NHL this season ended when Russian officials refused to participate in the transfer agreement negotiated by the NHL and International Ice Hockey Federation. That agreement establishes the fees NHL clubs must pay to secure the rights to European prospects.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sports/icehockey/stories/index.shtml?/story/olympics/national/2005/12/23/Sports/russia-olympics051223.html

Well if he believes it, then I do too!
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:36 pm

Right now, I think he will be, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. The Metallurg owner is the wild card. Malkin has made comments that Metallurg has told him they will not stand in his way, but the owner could easily qualify that by adding a "for the right price" to the end of that statement.

With no transfer agreement, the Penguins have to negotiate directly with the Russian club for his release. That's the wildcard...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Malkin next Season? Don't think so!

Postby elliot on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 pm

he is most likely going to receive the MVP award there

It's funny you mention this...Malkin is definitely in contention for the MVP there. But right now, the RSL leading goal scorer AND points scorer is........wait for it.....MOPO3OB. That's right...#95 Morozov, got 50 pts, and Malkin and Mozyakin have 49 pts. That's a practical 3 way tie, or u can argue that Malkin has played far fewer games due to WJC and all the tournaments, so his points/game is higher.

I know Morozov didnt exactly have a good history here, but with him owning the RSL just like Malkin, I'd give him another shot at a one year deal, to mentor and wing Malkin for his first season.

BTW, just to show how good the first place Metallurg Mg is this season:
They have a regulation record of (37-4-3) and 160 goals for, 66 goals against for the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Third Place Ak Bars Kazan (morozov's team) has a regulation record of (22-8-8) 136 goals for, 105 goals against.
elliot

Re: Malkin next Season? Don't think so!

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 pm

elliot wrote:I know Morozov didnt exactly have a good history here, but with him owning the RSL just like Malkin, I'd give him another shot at a one year deal, to mentor and wing Malkin for his first season.

I would not disagree and am one of the few that would have liked to see him here this year.

However, he is UFA after this year and I can't see the Pens even wanting him, let alone bidding on his services against someone else. And that's assuming he WANTS to come back to the NHL.

He got blasted (unfairly so IMO) for signing with the Russian club during the lockout, but it sure looks to me like he made a pretty good decision. Thr ogranization was getting frustrated with him (rightfully so) and I'm sure he questioned what kind of future he had here if he stayed. He got a good offer to play at home and he took it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Morozov

Postby OldMan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info on Morozov--I always forget about him. His success is interesting, I have heard a few times that he has beefed up a bit. The are variables, of course, but if everyone's so hot on Malkin based on Russian league success, it's hard not to think the same argument wd apply for Alexei. My guess is that he wd want a chance to prove himself again.

If anything, his rights would probably be worth something now.
OldMan

Re: Morozov

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:15 am

OldMan wrote:If anything, his rights would probably be worth something now.

No, he is UFA on July 1. He would not come over here before next season, so his rights are wasted away. I think if the Pens made a half-decent offer, he may choose them over another team. He seemed to enjoy it here.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby abigFATAss on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 am

Pat Brisson is the key to Malkin coming to Pittsburgh next year.

Pat Brisson, if you don't know, is not only Malkin's agent, but also Crosby's agent.

Coercion on the part of Crosby will take place. Thus, Malkin will be in Pittsburgh next year.

There is no way Brisson will jeopardize the loss of Crosby in order to get a big payday for Malkin knowing full well he could keep both of them.
abigFATAss

Brisson is the man

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:11 am

Hey if Brisson has that much influence on Malkin, then in my perspective, HE's the man !!! I hope that is true!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pmh118 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 am

I hope Morozov decides to sign with the Pens again. I guess I'm just curious to see if he's matured, plus, the new NHL rules can only help his game.

I know there's a big Kessel/Johnson debate going on. But, what if the Pens were able to select Kessel and he was ready for the NHL next year? I think this team would be much more watchable. I took the liberty of removing LeClair, Recchi, Thibault, Koltsov, Murley, Endicott, Odelein and Cross. ;)

Forwards
Kessel Crosby Ouellet
Malone Malkin Morozov
Surovy Christiansen Armstrong
Roy/Rita Talbot Boguniecki

Defensemen
Orpik
Whitney
Gonchar
Scuderi
Welch
Lannon
Melichar/Cairns/Jackman

Goalies
Fleury
Caron

I know their roster may look a bit different by the time training camp rolls around next year. And it probably wouldn't be a great idea to put Ouellet on your top line, but I just tried to put some lines together as of right now. It's fun to imagine, anyway. :)
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

pick up Johnson,not Kessel

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:02 pm

And Malkin must come next year,otherwise we must trade something for great 2nd line center,draft Johnson no Kessel
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

malkin said:

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:13 pm

I just read an old aricle that included Malkin in a interview and he said;

HF: Even if you have signed a five-year contract with Magnitogorsk?

EM: It has been talked over. Magnitogorsk will let me go if I want to play in Pittsburgh.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7464

This makes me more confident, that he'll be here.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pros and Cons

Postby Daniel on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:05 am

Will probably make more money over there-Probably at first, I doubt over his 20 year career (give or take)

Uncertainty over team's future location-I doubt that really matters. If he is going to come from Russia to Pittsburgh, what is another 1000 miles tops?

Plays for a winning team versus a dreg team- Or, you could say that he has a change to take a dreg team to be a winning team. :lol:

I would say that the bottom line is that he will want to compete for a Stanley Cup and become one of the worlds great player. What else does he have to prove in Russia?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

knew it

Postby FuturePens on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:59 pm

HERE IS THE PROVE GUYS< THIS ARTICLE CAME OUT ONE DAY AFTER I POSTED THIS.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/ ... cle_id=414
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: knew it

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:30 pm

FuturePens wrote:HERE IS THE PROVE GUYS< THIS ARTICLE CAME OUT ONE DAY AFTER I POSTED THIS.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/ ... cle_id=414

Proof, as in when he says: "but I hope that I will at least get to meet him when I come to Pittsburgh's training camp."

That sure is proof he won't be coming over. :roll:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins