Crosby in WBS for calder cup playoffs?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby in WBS for calder cup playoffs?

Postby JimmyPelican on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:55 pm

I know this is highly unlikely but think its an interesting topic :)
http://blogs.timesshamrock.com/pensblog/
JimmyPelican

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:01 pm

I would only do it if other teams throw their legit NHL players down as well. Namely Philly with Jeff Carter, Caps with Ovechkin, etc. As far as everyone else goes who started in WBS, if the organization wants them down there then that's fine by me.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:20 pm

I can't see this happening. Maybe Whitney and Fleury, yes, since they spent some time there. But not Crosby. By that point, his season will have been long enough. He would be better served by going home and resting. It is a tough grind for an 18-year-old.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby randy on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

exposing crosby to ahl hacks-absolutely not. it was bad enough leaving colby armstrong down there for so long
randy

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:34 pm

No WAY will he ever see time in the AHL.

Risk injury from some hack that wants to take a shot at him.
YEAH OK.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:02 pm

Crosby is already frustrated playing with WBS "graduates," how do you think he will feel playing with even less quality?
jmh70

Postby skullman80 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Can Crosby even go to the Baby Pens? Wouldn't he had to go back to Rimouski much like MAF did when he went back to Cape Brenton?

Maybe I'm way off here.......just a thought.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:05 pm

skullman80 wrote:Can Crosby even go to the Baby Pens? Wouldn't he had to go back to Rimouski much like MAF did when he went back to Cape Brenton?

Maybe I'm way off here.......just a thought.

I believe you are correct, provided that is junior team is still playoff eligible, I think. Crosby is under 20 years old, and hasn't played 180 games, I don't know maybe I'm mixing up a few different requirements, but I believe that his junior team has to be eliminated before you can join the baby Pens
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:14 pm

Crosby should be playing hockey. One of the best in the world should not be sitting idle. The AHL could use some increased ticket sales too.
NIN

Postby td_ice on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Absolutely horrible idea.

It will never happen.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bowser on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:27 pm

Crosby should never spend a second in the AHL.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jamie on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30 pm

Bowser wrote:Crosby should never spend a second in the AHL.

Agreed. He is getting his first full 82 game NHL season under his belt. This season will take a toll on him physically and mentally before it is over. I think with the Pens losing nearly every game it already is starting to eat at him mentally. He should not go to the AHL.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 pm

He could theoretically go there at season's end from what Bombulie said, but only if Rimouski's season was already over. I am sure he would be willing to do it but I don't think it would serve any purpose.

Crosby is not a part of the Wilkes Barre team and never will be. It makes no sense to me to send him there to me.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby In The Shadows on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 pm

I can't see them sending Sidney down...however he would be eligible considering Rimouski probably will not make the playoffs this year. Their record is pretty much bottom of the barrel....it would probably me a mistake though. I could see Whits, Fleury, and Army heading down....
In The Shadows
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:38 pm

netwolf wrote:Crosby is not a part of the Wilkes Barre team and never will be. It makes no sense to me to send him there to me.

The WBS team is part of the Penguins franchise and Crosby pretty much IS the franchise. Those players down there may very well be his teammates sooner or later.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:47 pm

NIN wrote:The WBS team is part of the Penguins franchise and Crosby pretty much IS the franchise. Those players down there may very well be his teammates sooner or later.

Then send Fleury down to Wheeling to help them out too. After all, the Nailers are also part of the organization too. Chiodo and Bissonette have logged time there and could be Fleury's teammates down the road.

There's a difference between being part of the Penguins organization and being a part of the Wilkes barre team. Crosby is not part of the Wilkes Barre team.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:59 pm

netwolf wrote:Then send Fleury down to Wheeling to help them out too. After all, the Nailers are also part of the organization too. Chiodo and Bissonette have logged time there and could be Fleury's teammates down the road.

There's a difference between being part of the Penguins organization and being a part of the Wilkes barre team. Crosby is not part of the Wilkes Barre team.

The AHL is the step just below the NHL and it would be good for Crosby to dominate a slower league rather than sit and get bummed out about not playing in the olympics (which we all know is Hitchcock and that crazy canadian gamblers fault- his wife Janet probably bet on the Russians!) and develope his game.

Its not like it will taint his career, its just practice for a few games but with more compitition. Beleive it or not Crosby is still learning to be better at the game and I think it would be fun for him and everybody else.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 pm

NIN wrote:The AHL is the step just below the NHL and it would be good for Crosby to dominate a slower league rather than sit and get bummed out about not playing in the olympics (which we all know is Hitchcock and that crazy canadian gamblers fault- his wife Janet probably bet on the Russians!) and develope his game.

Its not like it will taint his career, its just practice for a few games but with more compitition. Beleive it or not Crosby is still learning to be better at the game and I think it would be fun for him and everybody else.

If we were talking about him playing there during the Olympic break, then maybe I could see some point to it; I'd still disagree though and say an 18 year experiencing his 1st pro season could use the rest.

However, that isn't the discussion. He cannot go to Wilkes Barre during the Olympic break as there are rules that protect junior teams from losing players to the AHL. As long as Rimouski (Crosby's junior team) is playing, Crosby cannot go to the AHL.

The discussion was about whether he can go to Wilkes Barre for the AHL playoffs. While any team would welcome the help, especially in the form of a player that good, I say it makes no sense to send a guy there as a hired gun for the playoffs when he hasn't played a game there all year long.

Crosby has not played a regular season game for them this year and he will not play a regular season game for them this year, or ever. As such, he is not a part of that team, and should not be on their playoff roster.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:37 pm

If he cant play during the break then I guess there is no point discussing it any further.

As for after the NHL season my prrevious statements remain, assuming of course he is allowed to play.

If your saying it would destroy the integrity of the AHL playoffs by theoretically cheating then I disagree. The best players for that franchise should be allowed to play and if Crosby wants to play he should be made to feel welcome in the AHL. Im sure everyone (excpet the guy that gets replaced in the lineup) would be happy to have Crosby on the team just as much as they will welcome MAF.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:51 pm

NIN wrote:If your saying it would destroy the integrity of the AHL playoffs by theoretically cheating then I disagree. The best players for that franchise should be allowed to play and if Crosby wants to play he should be made to feel welcome in the AHL. Im sure everyone (excpet the guy that gets replaced in the lineup) would be happy to have Crosby on the team just as much as they will welcome MAF.

If there's no rule prohibiting it, then I don't think it does anything to the integrity of the AHL playoffs. I still don't like it though. If you have a group of guys that played together all year, how to you tell one of them that he's got to sit down so a guy who hasn't played a second for that team can suit up? I'm positive no one would publicly say anything about it, but I'm also positive that it would rub more than one guy the wrong way.

Besides, Crosby's development isn't going to be stunted if he doesn't go play there for a month.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:16 am

netwolf wrote:If there's no rule prohibiting it, then I don't think it does anything to the integrity of the AHL playoffs. I still don't like it though. If you have a group of guys that played together all year, how to you tell one of them that he's got to sit down so a guy who hasn't played a second for that team can suit up? I'm positive no one would publicly say anything about it, but I'm also positive that it would rub more than one guy the wrong way.

Besides, Crosby's development isn't going to be stunted if he doesn't go play there for a month.

The AHL players are suppose to be called up to help the NHL teams win a Stanley Cup, not the other way around. So the whole situation is alittle laughable. Should Therrian be sent down too? I think you have to focus on the big picture and the big picture is eventually winning the Stanley Cup. The sooner they win the CUp and the more often the better. Allowing some key players to play in tournament compitiion and keep playing hockey is good for experiance. It's something positive to build from.

Crosby can very very quickly gain respect from his teammates. I think he has gained respect around the league already and im sure many teammates look to him for leadership out on the ice. The AHL team might even be easier for him to lead and it wouldnt take long for that on ice pressence to show. Those AHL kids are going to be looking up to Crosby when the team hits the NHL playoffs again so they may as well get use to the idea now. Because like I said, he IS the franchise and if they want to win he is going to lead the way.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:14 am

NIN wrote:The AHL players are suppose to be called up to help the NHL teams win a Stanley Cup, not the other way around. So the whole situation is alittle laughable. Should Therrian be sent down too? I think you have to focus on the big picture and the big picture is eventually winning the Stanley Cup. The sooner they win the CUp and the more often the better. Allowing some key players to play in tournament compitiion and keep playing hockey is good for experiance. It's something positive to build from.

Crosby can very very quickly gain respect from his teammates. I think he has gained respect around the league already and im sure many teammates look to him for leadership out on the ice. The AHL team might even be easier for him to lead and it wouldnt take long for that on ice pressence to show. Those AHL kids are going to be looking up to Crosby when the team hits the NHL playoffs again so they may as well get use to the idea now. Because like I said, he IS the franchise and if they want to win he is going to lead the way.

So which is it? You have been saying Crosby should go down to the AHL all thread, but now you just said "The AHL players are suppose to be called up to help the NHL teams win a Stanley Cup, not the other way around. " That statement actually supports my position that he should NOT go there for the playoffs. If I am misunderstanding your last post, I apologize.

As far as Crosby being respected, I never said I thought that would be a problem. The problem would come from whomever lost their spot to him. That guy would likely be a grinder, role player type. A character guy that's well respected in the locker room. The rest of the team would say the right things and play and try not to make a big deal of it, but I can't imagine anyone that would not have some kind of issue with it.

Yes, Crosby is the franchise - the NHL franchise. Crosby has not played a regular season game for Wilkes Barre this year and he will not play a regular season game for them this year, or ever. As such, he is not a part of that team, and should not be on their playoff roster.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

WBS

Postby FuturePens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:21 am

WBS is a great team with some really good talent for a AHL team. I believe that with Fluery down the road and the rest of the team that came to the Pens thoughout the season, they will be so good that they will not even need Sidney. WBS rules the AHL now and will for a while, because the NAILERS also have some really good prospects coming up and developing.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins