Clear Pic of Crosb's "non-goal"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby ChinookUT on Mon May 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks to the picture, it was clearly a goal.

However:

- The War Room in Toronto didn't have access to that picture when making its decision.

- When making a decision, the video judge and/or War Room are not supposed to assume anything. Their decision usually is based strictly on video evidence. Anyone with knowledge of physics could make a legitimate mathematical argument that the puck completely crossed the line, but that is not relevant.

I'm as much a Penguins fan as anyone here, and would have liked the play to count as a goal, but objectively they clearly made the correct decision with "no goal".
ChinookUT
 

Postby guiner on Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 pm

ChinookUT wrote:Anyone with knowledge of physics could make a legitimate mathematical argument that the puck completely crossed the line, but that is not relevant.


bullpucky. So if the goalie sticks his arm into the net up to his elbow, but there is no "white showing" it isnt a goal?

It was edge of puck on edge of line when the glove came over and it clearly moved at least an inch further in. It was a goal, and they knew it.

I have watched a lot of playoff hockey this year, and EVERY single video decision has gone towards keeping the game close whenever they could utilize even the tiniest of excuses.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Postby brwi on Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 pm

guiner wrote:It was edge of puck on edge of line when the glove came over and it clearly moved at least an inch further in. It was a goal, and they knew it.

I have watched a lot of playoff hockey this year, and EVERY single video decision has gone towards keeping the game close whenever they could utilize even the tiniest of excuses.

g


I've noticed that trend too. I don't think it's a coincidence either.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,135
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Postby Draftnik on Mon May 12, 2008 11:07 pm

The camera guy has an opening in the glass on the boards near the corner closest to the Flyers bench (opposite the Pens entrance to the ice). There is some fan that wears a Pens colored wig near the opening.

Tonight the TSN guys were discussing how the officials seem to be reluctant to make goal calls on the ice and now are going upstairs without making a definitive on ice decision.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue May 13, 2008 12:50 am

Draftnik wrote:The camera guy has an opening in the glass on the boards near the corner closest to the Flyers bench (opposite the Pens entrance to the ice). There is some fan that wears a Pens colored wig near the opening.

Tonight the TSN guys were discussing how the officials seem to be reluctant to make goal calls on the ice and now are going upstairs without making a definitive on ice decision.


and that's why goals like that aren't counting. there is not enough evidence to overturn them. as in, if they were called goals initially, they would have counted by the same reasoning.

sucks that refs are showing such reluctance
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,837
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Postby cs6687 on Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 am

At some point, the replay judge has to use common sense and logic, even if there is no definitive evidence. The puck was deep enough in the net that there was no doubt it was in.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Postby penscup on Tue May 13, 2008 2:10 am

roller81 wrote:That is a great edit..I guess the line is barely visible due to the ice being scraped up and stuff, but isnt there a way they could make the line bolder like that on the ice? football does the yellow line for a first down, why cant hockey do the same for the goal line. Would definately make it easier to see if the puck is truely over or not if you could actually see the line


The yellow line in football means nothing officially, it is only for TV purposes to make the viewing experience more enjoyable at home, hence it is not always accurate. First downs are decided by the chain gang on the field only.

The conspiracy theorists on this call are a joke. Get over it people. Just because we all thought it was a goal as Pens fans doesn't make it a goal officially. It was a close call and it went against us, and I frankly was not very surprised at all at the time since it was a very close and somewhat difficult call. Its happened before and it will happen again. Thats the way this league operates. They reviewed it for a long time obviously trying to make the correct decision. From the still picture afterwards it seems to be the wrong conclusion, but they didn't have acess to to that when it happened. There's no conspiracy to extend the series for NBC or to try and make it more competitive. We won anyways so there's really no reason to cry so much about it either.

Just enjoy the fact we are 2 wins from making it to the finals.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,663
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hugo Stiglitz, RxBandit66, The U and 23 guests


e-mail