Magnitogorsk press release: Malkin agreed to stay

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:51 am

BSE _ yawn~~~~~~~~~~~~ pay attention to Russian politics since Putin arrived? If not, I'd advise you to read more than your local rag of neutrality.

Deas - Staal has to earn his job, by no means would I just throw him into the mix without him proving his worth. His competition isn't very tough, Christensen and Malone. Let the best man win, of course, Pens get a 10-game look-and-see, if they want it.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Eric Christensen

Postby NIN on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:53 am

Am I the last Pens fan who thinks Christensen even has a shot at making the club anymore?

With the thought of Malkin not making the team finally considered reality, can we finally get down to business and find a center for this season?

Christensen is a responsible player defensively. He is good at faceoffs. He has decent playmaking skill and a wicked wrister.

The down side is confidence and attitude issues.

I think he could do a good job, as good as the Flyers coveted Richards or Carter in fact. If his attitude is bad ( or if he has the dreaded "frail psyche" like Lexsy the "Ice Princess" ) he can be traded. Right now he has no trade value so let's see what we have in Christensen at least. If he works out maybe he can move to wing when Staal or Malkin arrive.

I never really understood the whole reason behind him being sent down so soon last season. He was definately struggling for awhile there so maybe that's all it was.
NIN

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:56 am

Christensen isn't much of a physical player but if he's skating, making good passes, using that wicked wrister and going to the net; he's a fine center.

Hopefully, he can take advantage of this great opportunity to play top line minutes and run with it. I'm not really too thrilled with him playing with Recchi but hey, I guess he nor the team have much room to change that now.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaneoshea on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 am

I think that Ed Rendel called Russia and told them to not let Malkin come over until after the election and the slots are awarded.
Shaneoshea
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bse on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:00 am

Bowser wrote:BSE _ yawn~~~~~~~~~~~~ pay attention to Russian politics since Putin arrived? If not, I'd advise you to read more than your local rag of neutrality.

That's your problem - always mixing everything with politics. There could be 15 scenarios for why Malkin remains in Russia - yet you seem to think it's your own scenario that's 100 % sure whereas others are not worth discussion. May I remember that you don't even have a source for that.

I'm sure there's been a lot of intimidation by the team and its officials, but doesn't your little scenario out of them all, seem just a bit farfetched? and if not, I'd be more than happy to hear why your "it's the communists, I swear!" type of approach holds more water than any other possible solution?

You even manage to drag Putin into this.. come on, we are not talking of Putin, but Malkin.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:03 am

There's a possibility Pens make one of those trades Shero spoke of. Several teams are over the cap - the New Jersey Devils for example. With Malkin (if the reports are correct) out of plans, doesn't that leave 4M (cap terms) available to acquire a center?

If the Pens only had something to trade...
Last edited by bse on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:03 am

So where to go from here? Happy birthday Sidney; pens just became yours alone...again.

GM Shero needs to think about what is good for the team.
Approach the upcoming season without the elusive one and focus
on who is signed and committed to play.

Rookie camp opens a month from now, heck elusive Evgeni could
change agents at least 3 more times.
Port isn’t closed in Pittsburgh but penguins should proceed with team as is and plan from there.
If/when elusive Evgeni arrives it's a bonus.

** :twisted:
The anger comes when reading Evgeni believes he'll be a free
agent by staying in Russia. NHL cannot allow Malkin/russia to
dictate his movement when the club who drafted him has zero
options to bring him to pittsburgh.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 am

BSE - I think the mafia connection is one aspect, yes. I definitely think Malkin wants to be the star of his own team, he's made hints of it in the papers. I have to question his commitment to the Pens like Ovechkin did for the Caps. Until he wears the jersey, I no longer consider him a viable option for Shero to build this franchise.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:06 am

BSE - If Lou trades us Scott Gomez, I would be happy but like you said, not sure we have the means to acquire him.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:12 am

I had no idea that there were so many posters here that were gifted with the ability to read minds. A RSL team issues a press release about Malkin rejoining the team and suddenly everyone knows how things got to that point?

This team is undoubtedly better with Malkin than without, but let's not kid ourselves. They were not going to be in the playoffs without a TON of breaks. His absence doesn't change that.

Excuse me if I hold off condemning this kid until I know what went on. And since I don't have the gift of sight that others here have, that may never happen.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:13 am

Bowser wrote:BSE - I think the mafia connection is one aspect, yes. I definitely think Malkin wants to be the star of his own team, he's made hints of it in the papers. I have to question his commitment to the Pens like Ovechkin did for the Caps. Until he wears the jersey, I no longer consider him a viable option for Shero to build this franchise.

The mafia wants money. The don't care about hockey. Malkin has been making a lot of money for 3 years now. If he's not already being squeezed why would he start now?

This is most likely MNalkin being told that if he leaves he will pretty much be dead to Russia for all international tournaments.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Donald Fagen on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:43 am

NIN wrote:"There is nothing to worry about you negative nancies! For the last time, HE'LL BE HERE!"

GAWD :roll:

how can u be so optimistic? i hope u are right?
Donald Fagen

Re: Eric Christensen

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:45 am

NIN wrote:Am I the last Pens fan who thinks Christensen even has a shot at making the club anymore?

With the thought of Malkin not making the team finally considered reality, can we finally get down to business and find a center for this season?

Christensen is a responsible player defensively. He is good at faceoffs. He has decent playmaking skill and a wicked wrister.

The down side is confidence and attitude issues.

I think he could do a good job, as good as the Flyers coveted Richards or Carter in fact. If his attitude is bad ( or if he has the dreaded "frail psyche" like Lexsy the "Ice Princess" ) he can be traded. Right now he has no trade value so let's see what we have in Christensen at least. If he works out maybe he can move to wing when Staal or Malkin arrive.

I never really understood the whole reason behind him being sent down so soon last season. He was definately struggling for awhile there so maybe that's all it was.

I agree. 33 games is not enough time to evaluate a guy and determine that he is never going to be NHL material. Last season was terrible...it is possible that confidence issues stemmed from being in a negative locker room on a team that was going no where fast when they were projected to be some where instantly. Christensen has one of the best wrist shots in the Penguins system...if the team shows confidence in him I think he has the tools to become a decent NHL player.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am

Donald Fagen wrote:
NIN wrote:"There is nothing to worry about you negative nancies! For the last time, HE'LL BE HERE!"

GAWD :roll:

how can u be so optimistic? i hope u are right?

All you have to do is not care enough to gather facts and form rational opinions. Optimism works in politics too. "Brownie is doing a great job." See how you can turn a negative situation into positive? Todays brainwashed youth is none the wiser.
NIN

Postby Gaucho on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:05 am

"I don't have any inside info but I'd say its almost a 100% lock the Russian mafia (aka former KGB agents) made a visit to Malkin and his family."

The first part of that statement makes a lot more sense than the second part.

"BSE _ yawn~~~~~~~~~~~~ pay attention to Russian politics since Putin arrived? If not, I'd advise you to read more than your local rag of neutrality."

Oh, is see, biased papers are the perfect source of information.

"BSE - I think the mafia connection is one aspect, yes. I definitely think Malkin wants to be the star of his own team, he's made hints of it in the papers. I have to question his commitment to the Pens like Ovechkin did for the Caps. Until he wears the jersey, I no longer consider him a viable option for Shero to build this franchise."

But we won't jump to any conclusions, will we?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Zscout on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 am

Malkin will continue to develop in Russia, no big deal.
It is not like the Penguins suddenly became a playoff team with him. Hopefully the team and Malkin improves between now and next season.
Zscout

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:23 am

The whole process smells... there are too many scenarios and one not often enough discussed is Malkin actually stalling his arrival because he wants to be traded.

This thing is such a Soap Opera already.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:26 am

Although this is a big time blow, I already created Malkin in my NHL 06 PC game, that being said. He will be here next year, doesn't seem like there can much debate about that now.

We have to think positivley, seems to me that RS had Malkins money alloted in his budget. His cap hit would have been similar to Sids. We now have some more coin to play with. Not sure where or on who they would spend the extra cash. But it is an option.

Hello Yannic Perrault :o
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 am

KG - If Shero's backup plan was Perreault, that's scary. I have zero interest in him, hopefully Ray-Ray feels the same way. Hopefully Pens can go hunt Moose on a harley and bag a quality player like Scott Gomez.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:35 am

Bowser wrote:KG - If Shero's backup plan was Perreault, that's scary. I have zero interest in him, hopefully Ray-Ray feels the same way. Hopefully Pens can go hunt Moose on a harley and bag a quality player like Scott Gomez.

I hear ya Bowser, tongue in cheek with my comment, although I can't say that I would be shocked...That being said. Gomez would rule. My question is, do you think RS would invest in a player like Gomez, who I understand only has a 1 year deal, but he is no the type of player you only keep for one year. He is a multiyear player. Or do you think he looks the more 1 year rental, Allison? curious
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:42 am

Everybody is screaming for a back up plan... and who could we sign...

call me crazy... but i think this is where shero pulls the trigger on a trade and brings in a second line center/winger....

i think christensen deserves another shot... we sat and watch Malone, Surovy, Kraft, etc.... for months stink up the team... he had a bad string of luck but deserves another shot... personally... i would like to see him converted to winger anyways... i just have this imagination of his wrister with colby and sid... and pt. after pt. after pt. being racked up!

the Malkin news does suck though!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:53 am

Bowser wrote:KG - If Shero's backup plan was Perreault, that's scary. I have zero interest in him, hopefully Ray-Ray feels the same way. Hopefully Pens can go hunt Moose on a harley and bag a quality player like Scott Gomez.

I think that Christensen will get his shot at the second line. If not, Malone will fill it. No need to go get someone like Perreault.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 am

bse wrote:There's a possibility Pens make one of those trades Shero spoke of. Several teams are over the cap - the New Jersey Devils for example. With Malkin (if the reports are correct) out of plans, doesn't that leave 4M (cap terms) available to acquire a center?

If the Pens only had something to trade...

New Jersey's arms are tied. They have to take prospects and picks to offload salary. The Pens have plenty to offer. How sweet would Gomez or Madden look in black and gold? :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 am

But taking salary form NJ is doing THEM a favor... They're in a spot like we were in trading Kovalev, Jagr, Straka, etc... We (or anyone) should send them marginal players, or risky prospects for those guys... NOT the likes of Malkin.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:12 am

Malkin doesn't go anywhere. If today's news is true, he comes over next season and Gomez goes to the hgihest bidder at the trade deadline.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins