This just in: Malkin escaped from Metallurg

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:42 am

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: take the news at face value as it comes. Don't waste time trying to figure out what it means because something else will happen sooner or later to change it all around again anyhow.

I'm waiting until I see him on Mellon Arena ice. And even then, I'll be half expecting Russian commandos to storm the rink to take him back. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimreb on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:59 am

netwolf wrote:I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: take the news at face value as it comes. Don't waste time trying to figure out what it means because something else will happen sooner or later to change it all around again anyhow.

I'm waiting until I see him on Mellon Arena ice. And even then, I'll be half expecting Russian commandos to storm the rink to take him back. :lol:

Couldn't agree more, Have other Russian news sources validated this story besides the gazeta.ru?
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Let's just hope that IF Malkin shows up in Pittsburgh within the next few days we dont hear any news like this...."In a related story.... Malkin's parents and his entire extended family in Russia have gone missing as well."
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

I'd hope that if Malkin really is fleeing the country, he's taking his family with him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SChaos on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Maybe the mafia is not involved. This is just a wild guess as to what may have happened, but try this on for size:

-Malkin wants to play for the Pens and gives his two-week notice to Mettalurg
-Mettalurg threatens to conscript Malkin forcing him to stay in Russia for at least two more years
-Malkin knows team has training camp in Finland and knows he can't be conscripted once on foreign soil
-He does everything he needs to do to convince Mettalurg that he is staying (sign new contract, tell Gonchar he's staying, etc.)
-Team travels to Finland and Malkin sneaks out during the night and heads to the airport
-Malkin gives two-week notice on new contract and he cannot be conscripted
SChaos

Postby pcm on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 pm

netwolf wrote:I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: take the news at face value as it comes. Don't waste time trying to figure out what it means because something else will happen sooner or later to change it all around again anyhow.

Isn't that how life works in general?

Maybe the Russians will start world war 3.

"I don't know what weapons ww3 will be fought with, but ww4 will be fought with sticks and clubs." -Einstein
Last edited by pcm on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby gregor on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 pm

with all of this drama, why would anyone think he'll stay in pittsburgh for any length of time??

--screw you guys!, I'm taking my puck and going home!--

:roll:
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 pm

whatever happens, i think we can all agree that Velichkin's next interview is going to be priceless.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:28 pm

pcm wrote:

Isn't that how life works in general?

Maybe the Russians will start world war 3. (oh wait...we already did)

"I don't know what weapons ww3 will be fought with, but ww4 will be fought with sticks and clubs." -Einstein

Try to leave your political agenda out of the hockey talk.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:53 pm

SChaos wrote:Maybe the mafia is not involved. This is just a wild guess as to what may have happened, but try this on for size:

-Malkin wants to play for the Pens and gives his two-week notice to Mettalurg
-Mettalurg threatens to conscript Malkin forcing him to stay in Russia for at least two more years
-Malkin knows team has training camp in Finland and knows he can't be conscripted once on foreign soil
-He does everything he needs to do to convince Mettalurg that he is staying (sign new contract, tell Gonchar he's staying, etc.)
-Team travels to Finland and Malkin sneaks out during the night and heads to the airport
-Malkin gives two-week notice on new contract and he cannot be conscripted

That would be a good scenario for all involved. I HOPE that is what the deal is. Out of all the different possibilities right now the scenario you just laid out is the least complicated and messy. Everything is up in the air right now, we're all just making educated guesses.

This guy better be worth all the hassle. haha. Imagine him coming over and turning out to be another Alexi Morozov or something...3 years from now we'll be like "hey, remember all the drama sourrounding his issues with Russia, Mettalurg, and crossing the pond". He wont be another Morozov though...i'm just saying...
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:01 pm

The U wrote:This guy better be worth all the hassle. haha.

I know you were joking about this, but I have concerns over this myself. I don't think that way at all, but I know there are a lot of people that are already down on Malkin as a player and as a person because of all of this drama, which he may not have had any control over. If he does play here this year and goes through any kind of rookie slump, those people are going to be all over him, and that's unfortunate.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:06 pm

whatever happens, i think we can all agree that Velichkin's next interview is going to be priceless.

haha, exactly.

I feel like I'm watching a bad reality show...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MKRA on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:19 pm

[quote="netwolf"][quote="The U"]This guy better be worth all the hassle. haha.[/quote]
I know you were joking about this, but I have concerns over this myself. I don't think that way at all, but I know there are a lot of people that are already down on Malkin as a player and as a person because of all of this drama, which he may not have had any control over. If he does play here this year and goes through any kind of rookie slump, those people are going to be all over him, and that's unfortunate.[/quote]

First, I don't know, obviously, whether any of this is true at all. But I did find it kind of odd that the kid signed a new contract and told people he was going to stay another year, but say word one about this to the Penguins? I have agreed with those who have said they wouldn't believe a thing until the Penguins announced he was staying. The still haven't, so.....

Netwolf, I wouldn't worry about this. FIrst and foremost, if Malkin comes over in this manner, I think people will respect both his courage and desire to play in Pittsburgh and the NHL. To be honest, I think he'd pretty much get a free ride with the fans for at least one or two. But from what I saw in the olympics, there is no chance this kid will fall on his face. This is no Morozov. He is the real deal. Whether he is rookie of the year or hits the 100 point mark is another question, but he won't fall on his face.

Besides, this team is about to start its ascent to the top. It may take 4 years, but getting there is an awful lot of fun. When you're there, that's when the pressure really takes. But getting there is fun and I believe Penguin fans are going to fall in love with this team over the next year or two. And Malkin is going to be a big part of that.
MKRA
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimreb on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:23 pm

Is this a new story on the situation or the same one? Can anyone translate?

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/08/a_734394.shtml
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Jimreb - I just posted this translation as a new post.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimreb on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Bowser wrote:Jimreb - I just posted this translation as a new post.

Thanks
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby gregill96 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:36 pm

I just want to warn everyone that gazeta.ru is not a very reliable source when it comes to sports. At least when it comes to soccer, they often jump to conclusions without all the facts. I am hoping we can find a second source. :)
gregill96

Postby Rocco on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:18 pm

Three Stars wrote:I'm sure it's only a coincidence that Rocco and pfim are not on the board at this time.

(****Receiving transmission: "Operation Bob is now status: biscuit in the basket. Awaiting update."****)

Med Mal, this is Ambulance Chaser. Finishing up the last can of paint. Meet at Checkpoint Bravo. Over and out.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:18 pm

Well, if Malkin is coming over this season I hope he can put all of this behind him, concentrate on hockey and play as well as he is capable of. I'd hate to see him distracted by threats against him, his family, his business ventures, etc...back home in russia.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:45 pm

The U wrote:Well, if Malkin is coming over this season I hope he can put all of this behind him, concentrate on hockey and play as well as he is capable of. I'd hate to see him distracted by threats against him, his family, his business ventures, etc...back home in russia.

I think if anything else it works in the opposite way. He won't take for granted his being here, and so will be all the more motivated and focused to make the most of it. You can sort of see this in Ovechkin's attitude.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:59 pm

netwolf wrote:
The U wrote:This guy better be worth all the hassle. haha.

I know you were joking about this, but I have concerns over this myself. I don't think that way at all, but I know there are a lot of people that are already down on Malkin as a player and as a person because of all of this drama, which he may not have had any control over. If he does play here this year and goes through any kind of rookie slump, those people are going to be all over him, and that's unfortunate.

I disagree. I think those people were discouraged with Malkin personally over what they saw as his waffling about coming to the states. If he's done what it seems like he's done, those people will almost certainly come around.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins